6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
New Series III 16r owner, tried to do my homework, read the manual, YouTube, searched here....I’m stumped.

Trying to get IEM mixes setup for my band but there’s a routing setting that I’m missing. Basically, all of the source audio from my channels is passing through....but it’s mono, I cannot hear FX although I’ve triple-checked the pre/post settings and can see signal passing to the FX busses, mutes and solos are inactive...

It almost feels like there are two audio streams going to my IEM....1.) all of the raw audio....2.) and perhaps some portions of the AUX mixer, Fat Channel, maybe some panning....but none of this is perceptible because it is sandwiched together.

I’ve clicked every tab in UC Surface, tried to wrap my head around every fader, checked the manual 10 times...but everything is slammed down the middle, too loud, and useless.

It’s got to be a button in the routing, I’m certain, I just can’t find it!

Using my MacBook Pro, Catalina, newest UC Surface version, newest firmware on the 16r, etc.
by SwitchBack on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:47 pm
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

Dunno how far you got so from the top:
- The only stereo socket on the rack mixer is the headphone socket. All other sockets are mono.
- So for stereo IEMs you always need two aux sockets, and you have to link their two (adjacent odd-even) buses for stereo. Otherwise you still end up with two mono buses. Linking will also give you pan controls in the (dry) aux mix to those aux sockets.
- Effects processors have their own (mono) input mixes. The inputs for those mixes can be pre1, pre2 or post (main mix input) faders. The FX input mixes also have an output fader to set the overal level to the FX processor.
- The 100% wet stereo output from the FX processors is available on faders in every output mix. So the output mixes will be a mix of their dry inputs and the output from one or more FX processors.

Hope that helps a bit. If not then let me know where I lost you :)
by johnleonard4 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:15 pm
Thanks for the reply, SwitchBack. I do indeed have them linked in UC and have them pulling from two aux outputs. The one thing that has continue to confuse me though is that once I link the channels I do not have any panning capability. Do I need to pan them first, then link them? I think I’m also on track with the FX routing, although I’ll double check.

SwitchBack wroteHi and welcome to these forums :)

Dunno how far you got so from the top:
- The only stereo socket on the rack mixer is the headphone socket. All other sockets are mono.
- So for stereo IEMs you always need two aux sockets, and you have to link their two (adjacent odd-even) buses for stereo. Otherwise you still end up with two mono buses. Linking will also give you pan controls in the (dry) aux mix to those aux sockets.
- Effects processors have their own (mono) input mixes. The inputs for those mixes can be pre1, pre2 or post (main mix input) faders. The FX input mixes also have an output fader to set the overal level to the FX processor.
- The 100% wet stereo output from the FX processors is available on faders in every output mix. So the output mixes will be a mix of their dry inputs and the output from one or more FX processors.

Hope that helps a bit. If not then let me know where I lost you :)
by wahlerstudios on Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:24 pm
Linked auxes do not automatically pan mono and stereo input channels (including Aux IN 1+2 and Tape In/Digital Return). Panning has to be done manually. Eception: the two FX returns. They simply have no pan function.

Attachments
AuxRoutingOptions.jpg
by SwitchBack on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:58 am
Also, to link auxes you select an aux, then select its main fader (the fader just left of the aux select buttons), and then select the link button (top lefthand on the screen). You’ll see the pan controls appear above the aux mix faders and the two aux select buttons merge into one.
by johnleonard4 on Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Solved!

The faders all the way to the right we’re down. Not sure how, and I’m pretty sure I checked that step...but that solved it. Thanks for your help!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1