3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I have just started working with Pres. Studio Live 64S. So far I have worked with an analog mixer - so I am an absolut beginner with digital mixers. Basically I want to use the SL64S as mixer for the mixdowns of my tracks in the studio. My input sources are coming from an AKAI Renaissance Software via USB Input and some Analog Keyboards and Drummachines via analog input.These analog devices are controlled with Midi also with the AKAI Software. The Digital Patching with SL64S works perfectly as I get all the 32 USB Channels from the AKAI and the Keyboards and Drummachines are routed into the analog channel inputs. This works fine and I can work on all the settings on the input Channels such as Gate / Gain / Filters / Kompressors etc.

Now where I am completely lost is how to use the effects on the Input Channels. The are some great effects in the FX section and I know that you can get hold of them in the left hand corner with Mix Select A / B / C / D / E / F. But I am just incapable of routing these effects to my input channels. I know it has to do something with FX sends and returns and using the mixer section at the right hand side of the main mixer and somehow assigning them to the input channels. But I just do not get it. Maybe I make a mistake in thinking as I still think it works somehow like an analog mixer where you just activate and assign an effect directly to the input channel strip. The manual on page 46 is explaining it roughly but I don't get it. The youtube videos (there are 2 of them slightly covering the subject) do not help me either.

Maybe there is someone who could help me with this issue.
Thanks in advance & best regards
Patrick
by SwitchBack on Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:40 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

On StudioLive mixers you don’t add effects to inputs but you add them to outputs. The way it works is that you create a normal ‘dry’ mix to an output and you also create a separate input mix for an FX processor. This FX input mix can be different from the normal mix so you can single out or boost inputs as you see fit. And then you mix the FX processor’s output in with the ‘dry’ output mix.

Once you understand this basic principle you’ll also be able to use the flexibility it offers, as you can use one FX processor on a mix of inputs and/or you can use an FX output in multiple output mixes.

PS. Note that FX input mixes also have a main send-to-processor fader. Easy to miss ;)
by patricklecerf on Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:55 am
Hi and thanks for your message :)

I will try to understand the new principles and will sort out this input / output issues - hopefully during this week end.

Thanks again and all the best

3 posts
Page 1 of 1