10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey, noob here
I wanted to figure out the routing I’d have to do to wire my studio up if I went ahead with a Studiolive 32sc centrepiece in my control room and nsb 16 in the live room.
What would be the way to go about incorporating outboard while tracking, ideally using my API lunchbox mic pres on the way in.
Thanks
Jason
by wahlerstudios on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:47 pm
Hi, and welcome to the Forum! The line inputs of the NSB stagebox and the 32SC bypass the PreSonus preamps, so you are free to use your "lunchbox" wherever it makes sense. The signal is converted to the digital domain and you have line level attenuation. As the 32SC has no physical line inputs on channels 1-8, you could use the NSB line inputs 1-8 and route NSB inputs 9-16 to channels 17-24. There are many options. ;-)
by jasonfrye on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:19 am
Thanks for the speedy reply!
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the PreSonus AVB ecosystem.
The lunchbox outboard will be in with the desk in the control room, so will I need another NSB in the control room, or can I intercept the stream before it hits the desk?
Is there anyway of using the 16 channels from the control room + the 8 channels from the pres in the lunchbox at any time?
by wahlerstudios on Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:30 am
Network is network and audio is audio... ;-) No, the lunchbox can not be part of a AVB or Dante network, because the output signals are analog. The approach will always be

Instrument -> Lunchbox -> StudioLive (Line Inputs)
or
Instrument -> Lunchbox -> NSB (Line Inputs) -> StudioLive (AVB)

If it helps, something like this can be a solution, if you want to get rid of the traditional cabling. A CAT5 cable can transport four mic/line signals.

By the way, with which DAW are you working? Are you planning to use DAW Mode?

Attachments
Stagebox_catcore.jpg
by jasonfrye on Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:33 am
Yeah ive seen those little 4 way --> cat5 boxes, they look handy

So youre saying the mic pres have to be in the live room, with the musicians for it to be implemented? could it go NSB -> Through the wall into StudioLive -> line out of StudioLive -> Lunchbox -> back into Line on StudioLive?

I cant be the only one trying to use analog mic pres / outboard with this desk?

Ill be using Studio One, being priced out of Pro Tools
by wahlerstudios on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:34 am
The NSB stageboxes can not work as single items. They need to be connected to a mixer, directly or via network. The rack mixers can be used as stagebox, monitor mixer or stand-alone mixer (in the network). Or as "normal" rack mixer without network connection. I don't think it makes sense to think about a rack mixer, even though this does have some nice options.

I think the problem is not the mixer or the stagebox. The DB25 connector of the lunchbox delivers analog signals. If you use a cable like the one shown below (or with mono jacks, I am not sure what is needed), you can use the line inputs of either the SL console or the NSB stagebox. Using Line Inputs takes the PreSonus preamps out of the signal chain. If you want the lunchbox next to the StudioLive mixer, which of course is the standard situation, you can use the SL inputs 9-16. But... - you can route input signals to any channel you want, so this might be more a question of how your studio work is organized. Route the lunchbox to input channels 1-8 and the stagebox to input channels 9-24, or any other combination... ;-)

DAW integration of Studio One is really nice, even though not perfect (no update for Studio One 5 yet). Once you have that working, you will start "thinking DAW Mode", which means that Studio One shows how to use the StudioLive mixer as controller and audio interface. One of the nicest things for example is the new "Interface Mode", which allows creating cue mixes in Studio One and route them via USB and AVB to any physical output (console, stagebox). If you prefer aux mixes, they are easy to create in the StudioLive mixer - and you can switch between aux and cue mixes, if this makes sense.

There are really many options and I have to say that the PreSonus ecosystem is a phantastic thing. I enjoy working with it. Find out how the ecoystems works and adapt your structures to it - yes, that's the key.

Attachments
loom.jpg
by SwitchBack on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:37 am
jasonfrye wroteYeah ive seen those little 4 way --> cat5 boxes, they look handy

So youre saying the mic pres have to be in the live room, with the musicians for it to be implemented? could it go NSB -> Through the wall into StudioLive -> line out of StudioLive -> Lunchbox -> back into Line on StudioLive?

I cant be the only one trying to use analog mic pres / outboard with this desk?

Ill be using Studio One, being priced out of Pro Tools

How many mic pres do you have in your lunchbox? If it’s just a couple then I would install a couple of xlr connections along with the avb cable. That way you can keep the lunchbox in the control room, connected to the mixer’s line inputs. You can use the NSB(s) for all other connections. I would stay away from analog audio over utp.
by jasonfrye on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:34 am
Thanks for the info folks

I think using only a cat5 cable for all my needs across rooms is a little ambitious and probably naive.

What I’ll need to do is, like you said, include a multicore of 8 xlr so I have the option to go into a patch bay, into the 8 mic pre lunchbox, then hit the mixer.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:46 am
This is definitely the best concept, but you should think and plan ahead a little bit. How do you want to return monitor/headphone/whatever mixes to the live room? The traditional way would be to use the 8 flex mix outputs (4 stereo mixes) of the NSB stagebox, but you can also add any PreSonus AVB equipment. The NSB stagebox has one AVB splitter built in, allowing to daisy-chain another mixer or stagebox or personal mixers, which also have an AVB splitter built in. The AVB connections always include the full 64x64 I/O matrix.

CAT5e, CAT6 and CAT6A are the options for cables, by the way. ;-)
by jasonfrye on Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:54 pm
Thanks for the info guys, I’ve got a better idea of my game plan now.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1