5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello All.

We have a new StudioLive 32s. I have a UA710 which provides 8 channels of light pipe out. I know I can run these into a separate interface such as the MOTU LP32, but that would mean having 2 separate sound cards since I'm running the SL in interface mode right?

Ideally, I'd like to integrate that into the AVB network and have these as 8 addressable inputs in the console which can be routed through USB to S1. Anyone having success with this or is there a better method?
by wahlerstudios on Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:27 am
I am sorry to say, but there definitely is no "easy" way for this. The Series III mixers do not allow any connection of external digital sources. The input of signals to the Series III ecoystem is always analog (Mic or Line), except "inputs" from a DAWs via USB/computer. After their conversion to the digital domain, all signals are available in the 64x64 USB and AVB matrices and the 34x34 SD matrix. Probably it does not make sense to convert the digital signals of your interface to analog signals, so that they can "enter" the PreSonus ecosystem. I could think of a MOTU interface ADAT to AVB as possible "bridge" to the PreSonus AVB III world, but neither MOTU nor PreSonus will support this "officially". You'll have to find out yourself what works in the manufacturer designed AVB worlds and what not...
by michaelpelikan on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:47 pm
This question is right in my wheelhouse as well.
I've got a decent collection of equipment and a fair amount of material produced on Fostex multitrack hard disk recorders (24 and 16 track). These were produced with a Yamaha mixer with 8 channels of ADAT I/O natively and with a 16 channel ADAT I/O expansion card installed, giving 24 channels of ADAT I/O.
It looks as if there are two ways to get at these tracks.
I've gotten an RME ADAT to USB box offering 32 channels of I/O, but that really only gets those tracks into a DAW, like Studio One: in effect, an import, and then work on them in DAWville. Amendment: I've also got an RME soundcard with ADAT I/O, also well tested and proven.
The path to using the StudioLive as the mixing engine directly appears to be to make a round trip through the analog realm. RCA to XLR snakes, and then we can work on those tracks in place on the Fostex recorders.
Posting here, I've also considered the MOTU route. The LP32, is it? Lots of ADAT I/O and AVB, so the thought arises to run a network cable and use the MOTU to provide the ADAT I/O missing in the StudioLive. But again we run into the question of whether MOTO AVB and PreSonus AVB play nicely together. I've run into posts (somewhere) saying it works, but I haven't tried it or confirmed it myself, and have just as often heard references cautioning that AVB implementations may vary.
So I'm about ready to turn to the snakes...
This stuff is all pretty quiet, and that audio maybe ought to survive a few gentle trips through the transporter (yeah, like Star Trek)...
I ought to just buy the MOTU and try it. I've kind of been hoping someone else might.
by anthonycarpenter1 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:57 pm
Hi Guys,

I run a UAD Apollo Quad over TB3 out at both ADAT ports to a Motu 828ES then AVB to my Studio Live 16 series 3. No issues, no dramas perfect!!. Only at 44.1 or 48k of course :).

Tony

SL 16 III. Studio One Pro 5.5.0 Windows 10 Pro. ASUS Intel Core-X PRIME X299 DELUXE II ATX Motherboard. Intel 14 Core i9 10940X Unlocked Cascade Lake-X CPU/Processor. Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 256GB 3200MHz.
by jeffreypedersen on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:35 am
I realize this is an old thread but if anyone is interested...
I added 16 input sources to my SL 16 Series III with 2 Presonus Digimax LT units and a MOTU LP32. The LP32 is set up to network AVB straight to the mixer and channels 17-32 are soft patched to receive AVB 1-16 from the Digimax ADAT outputs.
Easy.
THe Digimax units and LP32 I already owned. Of course it would be cheaper and simpler to just buy the stagebox.
I ran into clocking issues attempting to integrate a second computer (an iPad) via the LP32 USB port. Could never get it to run reliably no matter how I tried.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1