10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Last night I was playing around with the MIDI messages in DAW mode on my SL24 and noticed that each time I set my finger on a fader (without moving it) and lifted my finger that I'd get a message.

With some further experimentation I'm thoroughly convinced these faders are capacitive.

After removing the plastic fader handle I tried touching the faders with other non-capacitive things such as plastic pens or a pencil and nothing happened. If I use something metal even the slightest touch of the fader and the MIDI note is sent.

Speculation time:

Did the hardware team add an awesome feature that perhaps isn't used by the firmware?

Does the firmware use it to help predict when a fader is about to move? (Changing a fader with a plastic pen works perfectly so clearly if it is predictive it's not critical functionality.)

PreSonus Hardware: StudioLive III 32, 2x StudioLive III 24, NSB 16.8, SW5E Switch
PC: Dell Precision R7910, 2x Xeon E5-2667V2 (8 physical cores each), 1070ti, 32GB RAM, 2x Black Magic Design Decklink Duo 2
by Bbd on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:48 pm
That's a great observation!
I will ask around.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 5 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 5.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Bbd on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:54 pm
So we call it "Touch sensitive motorized faders".
:D

Bbd

Search the STUDIO ONE 5 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 5.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by timcronin1 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:01 pm
Bbd wroteSo we call it "Touch sensitive motorized faders".

Ahhh, good call. I'd never really thought about what that meant back when I first bought this.

Do we know if it's actually used anywhere in the firmware?

PreSonus Hardware: StudioLive III 32, 2x StudioLive III 24, NSB 16.8, SW5E Switch
PC: Dell Precision R7910, 2x Xeon E5-2667V2 (8 physical cores each), 1070ti, 32GB RAM, 2x Black Magic Design Decklink Duo 2
by Trucky on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:31 pm
timcronin1 wroteLast night I was playing around with the MIDI messages in DAW mode on my SL24 and noticed that each time I set my finger on a fader (without moving it) and lifted my finger that I'd get a message.

Please describe the steps you used to monitor this activity. Thanks!

Download the STUDIO ONE 5 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2), Studio One 5.1.1 Pro | Notion 6.8 | Universal Control v3.4.0.61835
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.4.17466
by timcronin1 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:10 pm
Any kind of MIDI monitor will work. In particular, I used MIDI-OX http://www.midiox.com/ which runs just fine on Windows 10.

Be sure to enable MIDI for your console. https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/StudioLive_Series_III_Mackie_Control_Emulation_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_25032019.pdf
(pages 2 and 3- the labeled page numbers, not pdf page number)

In MIDI-OX go to Options -> MIDI Devices and select your console's ports.

Note that by default this program will create a loopback between the input and output ports. This is a good thing because both the Mackie and HUI protocols*/modes rely on the feedback from the program to "acknowledge" a change. If you don't have the feedback loop enabled every single action you take on the console will be undone about a second later.

After that you can start moving stuff on the console and you should see it show up in the Input window of MIDI-OX.

Additional note: depending on the program you want to use this with you may need to keep the feedback loop in place via MIDI-OX even while you're using your program if you don't want faders to keep moving back. I use my console with vMix but since vMix isn't compatible with the Mackie or HUI protocol* it doesn't know it needs to send feedback. As such, I rely on MIDI-OX's feedback loop to do that for me.

* I realize this isn't really a protocol since it's just MIDI but each mode is expecting certain behavior.

by timcronin1 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:27 pm
timcronin1 wrote
Bbd wroteSo we call it "Touch sensitive motorized faders".

Ahhh, good call. I'd never really thought about what that meant back when I first bought this.

Do we know if it's actually used anywhere in the firmware?

I just stumbled across this: https://youtu.be/46gsG96sYvI?t=255

So yes, the touch sensitivity is used in the the firmware. In particular in DAW mode.

by wahlerstudios on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:11 pm
The Owners Manual doesn't really explain what "touch-sensitive motorized faders" are, but it mentions it in section 4.1. The StudioLive consoles do use this feature. You can not just move a fader. You have to first touch, wait 0.68 or so seconds and then move the fader. ;-) Studio One and DAW Mode also uses touch sensivity as indicator of what fader is in use (e.g. for sends or cue mixes).

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.0.0 & Pro 3.5.6
by Trucky on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 pm
timcronin1 wroteAny kind of MIDI monitor will work. In particular, I used MIDI-OX http://www.midiox.com/ which runs just fine on Windows 10.

Be sure to enable MIDI for your console. https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/pdf/StudioLive_Series_III_Mackie_Control_Emulation_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_25032019.pdf

Your response is specific to MCU/HUI modes. Sorry, I assummed your original question was referring to monitoring MIDI activity while in DAW Mode for Studio One.

Download the STUDIO ONE 5 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2), Studio One 5.1.1 Pro | Notion 6.8 | Universal Control v3.4.0.61835
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.4.17466
by timcronin1 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:26 pm
Trucky wrote
timcronin1 wroteAny kind of MIDI monitor will work. In particular, I used MIDI-OX http://www.midiox.com/ which runs just fine on Windows 10.

Your response is specific to MCU/HUI modes. Sorry, I assummed your original question was referring to monitoring MIDI activity while in DAW Mode for Studio One.

Oh no, sorry. From what I can tell DAW mode with Studio One uses UCNet and is never MIDI.

(Technically the console itself never sends MIDI. Universal Control generates the MIDI commands from the UCNet data that the console sends it.)

10 posts
Page 1 of 1