4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I need to expand my studiolive 16 series III using either a 32R or 32 SC over AVB.
I have several specific questions regarding the advantages and disadvantages.
One big question regards recording directly to the SD card. I know the rack version only allows for stereo recording, but does the AVB connection make it possible to record the audio from the rack to the SD card of the master, in this case my Studiolive 16 series III
If i opt for the 32SC and record to SD on both mixers at the same time, would I be able to sync up the recordings, at least after a transfer to computer with DAW?

I have two studios running in parallel in the same room, one is all stick, guitars, loopers and tube amps, the other MPC live and synths. i want to be able to integrate them so I can control things from both ends. What are the advantages and disatvantages of these two configurations, aside from the price difference?

Any insights welcome
by wahlerstudios on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:23 am
I think a 32R will be the perfect "add-on" for your SL 16 (and not only because I use the same combination ;-) ). There are several ways of using and combining mixers and there is one thing you really need to understand: You are NOT talking about using two mixers, you are talking about using network and network functionalities. This means, for example, that you do NOT record signals of the rack mixer, but signals the rack mixer/stagebox or the console send to the 64x64 AVB network, which all connected mixers can receive and return and process and record.

The rack mixers can be used in three different modes. The "normal" stagebox mode, which turns off any function of the mixer, the "Monitor Mixer Mode" and "Stand Alone Mode". The last two modes wake up functionalities of the rack mixer, including stereo SD card recording. Read more about the three modes in the "StudioLive Series III Stagebox Mode Addendum".

The rack mixers do not have DAW Mode, only the consoles. But the rack mixers can also use USB for recording (in the mentioned two modes), so you can have two simultaneous recordings PLUS the 34-track SD recording in the console.

If you want to use console and rack mixer in the AVB network, both mixers needs to be connected to a router for Remote Control. Then they show up as two "riders" in UC Surface. Nevertheless console and rack mixer stay in the 32 channel frame. By adding a rack mixer you can not add more input channels to your network.

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.0.0 & Pro 3.5.6
by antonyhequet on Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:15 am
hello, thank you for the thorough answer. I am still a little confused about the modes so I will read up. What do you mean when you say the rack cannot operate in DAW mode?
by wahlerstudios on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:55 pm
DAW Mode is an exclusive feature of the StudioLive consoles and its main purpose is to give Studio One (or other DAW's) physical faders, buttons, encoders and scribble strips. In DAW Mode, the StudioLive mixer becomes a "controller" for the DAW, while it simultaneously functions as audio interface. The rack mixers do not have any faders etc., but rack mixers can be used as audio interface for a DAW, of course. If you want to know more about DAW Mode, check the "StudioLive Series III Studio One DAW Control Addendum".

The three stagebox modes are explained in the "StudioLive Series III Stagebox Mode Addendum".

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.0.0 & Pro 3.5.6

4 posts
Page 1 of 1