9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Today the "Audio Interface Mode and WDM Guide for StudioLive Series III Mixers" manual was published, adding more information to the new features and how to use them. The manual is available on the download pages of the mixers.

https://www.presonus.com/support/downloads

A short description of the new features can be found here:

https://blog.presonus.com/index.php/202 ... de-arrived
by skeevill on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:07 am
My UC Surface updated automatically and I did upgrade Universal Control before I noticed all the latest updates on Presonus. I then noticed my stage box mode and monitor mode selections are gone off UC. I now only have an option of routing 8 output under the network tab on UC.
At this point, I haven’t updated the firmware on my SL32, 32R,16R, AVB switch or my earmix’s.
I am using the rack mixers as remote I/O in my studio with some interesting output routings.
If I do the full updates, will I lose the options of stage box and monitor modes flexibility on the 32r and 16r from my SL32 console? At this point, the stage box/monitor mode options still show up on the SL32 console touch screen but not on UC.
As mentioned, I am using these rack mixer modes to allow some very flexible routing on both inputs and outputs through my studio. I don’t want to lose that flexibility with the latest update.
The addendum and updates notes don’t mention this.

Regards,
Steve
by SwitchBack on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 am
I don’t know about missing modes, but for flexibility you don’t need stage box mode or monitor mixing mode. On the contrary. Those modes tailor functionality to quickly set things up for stage box/monitor mixing applications. But from ‘normal’ mode you can achieve all those things too, and then some :)

Interface Mode on the other hand gives your computer direct USB access to the mixer’s outputs, something you don’t get from any of the other modes. But by selecting Interface Mode you disable the mixer’s entire mixing capabilities.
by skeevill on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 am
Yes, that is true. There is the three modes:

-mixer mode-full stand alone mixer with routing options.
-Monitor mode-full routing options.
-Stage Box-no routing option options.

All the routing tables start with 1:1
Now the issue is, the routing tables on the rack mixers are “greyed” out on UC surface when you set the SL32 console to talk to them as stage boxes, leaving you with 1:1 patching. There is no access to the patching tables through UC Surface in that mode.
I therefore run the remote rack mixers in monitor mode to gain access to the patch tables at those units and allowing for full I/P and O/P patching/routing on the network that allows each rack mixer the flexibility that I am looking for.

Perhaps the rack mixer modes (stage box/monitor mode/mixer mode) still exist once the full updates are done but I thought I would check in with others that have done the update.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:34 am
Stagebox Mode means that the rack mixer works as "simple" stagebox and all routing is done on the FOH mixer (or via UC Surface). The router needs to be connected to the FOH mixer.

The three modes work normal after all upgrades. What makes you think they would not, if I may ask?
by SwitchBack on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:15 pm
All that monitor mixer mode does for routing, when compared to stand alone mode, is take the signal for the main outputs not from the rack mixer’s internal mix but from the remote mixer invoking the monitor mixer mode. The rack mixer’s internal main mix is not connected to the outputs anymore so those controls are greyed out to show it.

In stage box mode the exact same thing happens, but now for all rack mixer outputs, so all rack mixer controls are greyed out.

The point I tried to make is that exactly the same routing can be achieved with the rack mixer in stand alone mode. In the Digital Patching Input Source table on the rack mixer you can change the Main Output source from analog (which is the local mix) to AVB. Then select a pair of AVB channels (from Input Patch) as the AVB source for Main L and Main R (I suggest AVB39 and AVB40). From the remote mixer send the main mix to those AVB channels (default AVB39 and AVB40) and done.

The only difference with monitor mixer mode is that nothing gets greyed out on the rack mixer. Can be handy if you want to use the rack mixer’s local main mix in say a local matrix mix. Or if you want to use it on another pair of local outputs. :)
by skeevill on Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:02 pm
Thanks SwitchBack and WahlerStudios.

I did the full updates and as expected, the rack mixer modes do still exist.
I know I’ve made things complicated and, I do find the patching a little confusing but with that said, it is very flexible.

The biggest reason that I have been using monitor mode is that I am running 4 stereo headphone mixes (aux 1 through 8) out to my studio which means I get 4 stereo mixes at the 32R and 3 at the 16R. I am also using the main L/R analog outputs of the 16R to carry another stereo mix (15/16) from the control room console to run a set of powered studio monitors in the recording room for general playback.
If I use monitor mode, I can send a couple additional console aux mixes to the 16R L/R main outputs I wouldn’t get to do that in stage box mode as the 16R L/R outputs are pre-patched from the consoles main L/R AVB send thus not allowing me to remap a console aux mix to the 16R L/R physical outputs. It is just a way to take advantage of the physical main outs on the 16R for another set of aux patches.
All in all, confusing but works.

Regards,
Steve
by richardnettleton on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:06 am
I have a SL32 , I have the same problem with stagebox mode but in reverse how can I turn it off if I can not get to it?
by wahlerstudios on Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 am
The SL 32 is running in one of the stagebox modes? Then the rack mixer has FOH permission and is the clock of the network. You can change this via UC Surface, connected wired or wireless to the rack mixer (computer, tablet).

9 posts
Page 1 of 1