14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi,why in that console is not possible insert external outboard on channel like any normal mixer?its price is not low and i think to sell my studio live 64 s because i can't use my outboard.Can you fix this with next firmware?Is embarrassing!!!
by SwitchBack on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:46 am
3 months since my reply to your other post with same question(?) and not a peep since. What have you done and learned in those months? (e.g. about using SL mixers?) :?
Last edited by SwitchBack on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:51 am
Why complaining? None of the Series III consoles and rack mixers have channel or bus inserts, so if you "needed" that, you should never have bought a Series III mixer. And as there is no hardware insert, there can be no "fix" in any firmware. The Series III mixers are designed to work solely in the digital domain. The only option to integrate external hardware is to use Pipeline XT in Studio One Pro, which works through physical outputs and inputs of the mixer.
by SwitchBack on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:46 am
With ‘insert’ defined as ‘out of the mixer, through something else, and back in’ you can do that with Series III mixers too. It doesn’t always need a socket labeled ‘insert’ to get it done ;)
by klypeman on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:04 am
Then please write a small guideline on how to do that easiest way possible in pipeline.
I have tried for days and gotten nowhere with compressors and reverbs.
And please on a SLIII 16/32
Thank you.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by SwitchBack on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:37 am
Note that this question is about connecting outboard insert gear to a Series III mixer, so no S1 and pipeline but good old analog patch cables and stuff.

For inserting say a Lexicon unit on a mic input it could look like this:
- mic to channel 1
- channel 1 not to main but to sub 1
- sub 1 not to main but to mix output 1
- mix output 1 to Lexicon input
- Lexicon output to aux input 1
- aux input 1 to main
by klypeman on Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:04 pm
Just what the doctor ordered!
Thanks !!

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by wahlerstudios on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:09 pm
It would be interesting to know what is meant by "external outboard". Equalizers, compressors, effects? Inserting to tracks or buses? How many? And isn't there a way to "insert" analog equipment in the recording process (using the 32 line inputs) rather than in the mixing process?

By the way, the 64S has no fixed subgroups and therefore no physical subgroup outputs, but is has XLR outputs for 16 flex mixes.
by SwitchBack on Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:24 am
Yeah, any subgroup (fixed or flexmix) will do as long as you can map it to a physical output. I kept the steps in the example as general as possible.

Another tip: When using a Series III mixer to pipeline outboard hardware into S1 it is a BIG advantage to have mixer and computer connected through AVB. Through AVB you can patch computer sends straight to mixer outputs. No need then for subgroups or using up a mixer channel to get an S1 send to a mixer output. USB doesn’t give direct access to mixer outputs.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:24 am
This sounds interesting. Using AVB could open the whole theme and lead to creative solutions. It's a pity that AVB and PC seem not to be a "dream team". If somebody wants to know more about using a Mac as an "AVB endpoint", here is a video about it. There is no written information available yet.

"AVB Audio with an Apple Computer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Rkl7Th_1g
by markhofland on Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm
The only thing you can do, ok, it's not an insert on every channel, but I'm using two external Lexicon MPX-1's on a 64S. I stereo linked aux-1 and 2, connected the inputs of an MPX1, connected the outputs of that MPX-1 to the aux in 1 Left and Right on the 64S. For the second MPX-1 exactly the same, stereo linked aux 3 and 4, bring it back to the aux in 2 Left and Right on the 64S. Bring up the aux in 1 and 2 faders. Press the aux in 1 button on the left (aux button 2 is autonatically selected, because they are stereo linked). Select the desired channel(s), bring up the faders, don't forget to bring up the master fader for aux 1 and 2, and you're done. Also for aux 3 and 4. Be sure that if you select aux in 1 or 2, tyhe L/R button is lit. And this is an example of an external stereo device. But you also have the possibillity to use 4 mono effects. Don't stereo link your aux 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.
by jonhamilton2 on Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:05 pm
SwitchBack wroteYeah, any subgroup (fixed or flexmix) will do as long as you can map it to a physical output. I kept the steps in the example as general as possible.

Another tip: When using a Series III mixer to pipeline outboard hardware into S1 it is a BIG advantage to have mixer and computer connected through AVB. Through AVB you can patch computer sends straight to mixer outputs. No need then for subgroups or using up a mixer channel to get an S1 send to a mixer output. USB doesn’t give direct access to mixer outputs.

Hi SwitchBack,
I ended up taking the advice you mentioned above and purchased a AVB solution the Motu LP32 specifically because I needed Adat and Presonus didn’t seem to have one so the Motu LP32 fit the bill. I have it working great so far, with one exception the routing of external efx, I was wondering if you knew of any decent literature or guides that can explain how to properly get up and running with the routing with hardware effects and AVB running in S1.

Thanks 🙏

Cpu:Win11/Intel Core i9-12900K/32GB/AMD Radeon 580
Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Hardware: BAE 1073MPF/Heritage Audio Successor+Symph EQ
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
Pedals: UAFX/Meris LVX + MercuryX
DAW: S1 v6 Latest version
by SwitchBack on Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:27 am
For outboard gear you still need an interface with physical audio inputs/outputs and built-in mixing/routing options, something the LP32 (at a quick glance) doesn't seem to offer, but maybe it does. The manual for the LP32 should provide the answer to that :)
by jonhamilton2 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:33 am
I see right ok thanks - > MOTU UltraLite AVB Audio Interface

this looks like it would work

Cpu:Win11/Intel Core i9-12900K/32GB/AMD Radeon 580
Interface:Antelope Audio Orion Studio Synergy Core/Studiolive Series 3 32s/RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE
Hardware: BAE 1073MPF/Heritage Audio Successor+Symph EQ
Synths: Minimoog/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/Pro-800/Korg Prologue 16/Minilogue XD/Deepmind 12/ASM Hydrasynth/Akai Mpc
Pedals: UAFX/Meris LVX + MercuryX
DAW: S1 v6 Latest version

14 posts
Page 1 of 1