9 posts
Page 1 of 1
asked Feb 9 in StudioLive Series III by christianvera2 (120 points)

"Hi, I'm Christian. I acquired a studiolive 32R. I need to know, how do I assign a talckback to a channel for use?"

The rack mixers do not have a dedicated input for talkback. You will have to sacrifice one of your 32 channels. In an AVB network configuration, talkback at FOH is a network signal and therefore automatically routed to the rack mixer (Monitor Mixer Mode or Stand-Alone Mode).

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 4.6.1 & Pro 3.5.6
by Trucky on Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 pm
wahlerstudios wroteThe rack mixers do not have a dedicated input for talkback. You will have to sacrifice one of your 32 channels. In an AVB network configuration, talkback at FOH is a network signal and therefore automatically routed to the rack mixer (Monitor Mixer Mode or Stand-Alone Mode).

I'm not seeing anything automatically routed for Talkback with my SIII 32 and 16R in an AVB network configuration.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1909), Studio One 4.6.1 Pro | Notion 6.5 | Universal Control v.3.2.0.56558
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 V2.2.0.16741
by SwitchBack on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:19 pm
Yeah, per default a rack mixer's TB input is assigned to mic/line1 and AVB1 (default is analog; usb is not an option unfortunately), and a console's TB input isn't assigned to any AVB output channel yet. So it's up to the user to choose an AVB channel and do the mapping on both ends :)
by wahlerstudios on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:26 pm
Exactly. All you need to do is to select AVB 1 as "O" (output) for talkback on the SL 32, select "Network" as input source for talkback on the 16R and press the "Talk" button of the 16R (UC Surface). Now the talkback microphone of the SL 32 can be heard in all monitor mixes of the 16R in Monitor Mode. It would make sense to NOT use AVB channel 1, but any other in an AVB range not needed (like AVB 64).

By the way: Meanwhile Mr. Jonny Doyle aka PreSonus Support has answered the question and shown a way how to use "any" microphone input of a rack mixer as talkback microphone (using the Talk on/off button and the dedicated Talkback fader):

"To assign Talkback to a specific channel (Ch 12 for example): Choose Channel 12 that has the TB mic connected to it or any channel you have it connected too. Un-Assign this Channel from the 'Main' in the top left corner. Press the settings 'Gear' in the top right corner to go to the home page. Navigate to 'Digital Patching', then navigate to 'Input Patch'. Scroll down the Analog Input Patch until you see 'TB' on the left side. Assign TB to be 'Mic/Line 12.' Input 12 on the 32R Series III should now be your Talkback Mic."

I corrected the first sentence. He wrote channel 6 instead of 12. This works indeed. Another solution would be to use a microphone with an on/off switch on (example) channel 32 and send this channel to all auxes. That's how I would do it... ;-)

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM12, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 4.6.1 & Pro 3.5.6
by Trucky on Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:26 pm
Thanks for the responses!

Again using the SIII 32 (as FOH) with the 16R...

Does Talkback setup work the same for Stand-alone, Monitor Mixer and Stagebox modes?

OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1909), Studio One 4.6.1 Pro | Notion 6.5 | Universal Control v.3.2.0.56558
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
by SwitchBack on Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:32 am
I’m not using those modes much, as they limit flexibility. In Stagebox Mode the rack mixer is reduced to inputs and outputs mapped to the console. So TB on the console should work as normal but with output going to the rack outputs too. Monitor Mixer mode is sort of between Stagebox Mode and Standalone, with the rack Main controlled from the console and the rack Auxes controlled from the rack. So I guess TB from the console would be mapped to Main on the rack but not to the Auxes. Needs to be checked.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 am
The modes Monitor Mixer and Stand Alone behave exactly the same. What I described for Monitor Mixer Mode works exactly the same for Stand Alone Mode. I am sending FOH Talkback through AVB 64 to the rack mixer, select Network as input and activate "Talk". The rack mixer needs "StudioLive xx: AVB Send 57-64" assigned to AVB Inputs 57-64 to be able to receive the signal sent via AVB channel 64. That's it.

I can't check this on my 16R at the moment, because it's rented out, so this setting works for a 32R and 24R, but not necessarily for a 16R. Talkback can be routed to Main and all flex mixes on both mixers (rack mixer in Stand Alone Mode).

by Trucky on Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:18 pm
OK. I just confirmed Talkback working as expected in Stagebox Mode on my SIII 32 (FOH) with the 16R ...

When Stagebox mode is selected, Inputs from the 16R automatically get routed 1:1 to the SIII 32 and the FlexMix and Main Outs from the SIII 32 are routed to the 16R. The Inputs on the SIII 32 just need to be changed from Analog to Network. Each Talkback fader level can be adjusted for Mix 1 - 6. The Talkback screen allows which auxes you want enabled.

by wahlerstudios on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:20 am
Exactly. This is how the "preset" Stagebox Mode works and this is why the rack mixers used as stagebox are easier and better to handle than the NSB stageboxes. No AVB routing, it's really plug & play... ;-)

What we described in this thread was the second "stage" of using the rack mixers in an AVB network and how to route FOH talkback to the rack mixers running in Monitor Mixer or Stand Alone Mode. This really is possible and it's a great feature, because there always must be a way to communicate between FOH and stage, even though the musicians mix their own in-ear sound. And, this is not all. You can send ANY signal through the talkback "line". It doesn't need to be reduced to a talkback microphone. And there still is the option to use the network streams (Aux In 1+2, Tape In) for sending signals from FOH to the rack mixers.

But the original question had nothing to do with network subjects. It is possible to select any input of a rack mixer and use it in the talkback system.

It's good to have so many options, even though things might be confusing sometimes...

9 posts
Page 1 of 1