9 posts
Page 1 of 1
All,

This was explained to me previously but I didn't quite understand, perhaps you all can clarify?

I have 3 x external reverb/multi-effects that are in a rack format,
and 3 x Strymon Pedals effects (Delay, Reverb & Phaser)

Can these all be connected to my mixer at once?
Looking at the back of the mixer there are 2 pairs of Aux/Inputs so in theory does it mean only 2 external effect units can be added?

I very much enjoy these and other hardware effect units and think I might be limited.
How have you setup your effects?
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 am
If you want to address each effect unit separate, you will need 6 aux sends and their physical outputs. This could be flex mixes 1 to 6, set to post fade. Each flex mix has its own parametric equalizer, which can help to "shape" the sound even more.

Effect sends are always mono, but effect returns are stereo. If you don't need the input 13 to 24 channels otherwise, simply connect your returns there. These input channels have combo sockets (balanced mic/line channel inputs), so you don't need the two Aux In's for external effects.

Welcome to the Forum!

;)
by shazibmalik on Fri May 17, 2019 5:27 pm
Thank you for your advice it was very helpful to know that I can connect more external effects.

wahlerstudios wroteEffect sends are always mono, but effect returns are stereo. If you don't need the input 13 to 24 channels otherwise, simply connect your returns there. These input channels have combo sockets (balanced mic/line channel inputs), so you don't need the two Aux In's for external effects.

Welcome to the Forum!

;)

I have electronic music gear connected to the mixer so inputs 13 to 24 have already been used up by synths and drum machines.

What I’m going to do is purchase leads and move half a dozen of them up to the Mic xlr port 1 onwards.
This will make input channels 13 onwards available.

Please see the attached layout, this is what I understand about the connectivity. Is this correct?

9F43EDE7-F85E-471E-8E35-92EAF309572A.png
Last edited by shazibmalik on Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by wahlerstudios on Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 pm
Yes, that would be correct connections. I don't know how the Alesis handles the stereo sends. Maybe it's woth to use two flex mixes / auxes of the console. Take what sounds best.
by shazibmalik on Sun May 19, 2019 10:10 am
wahlerstudios wroteYes, that would be correct connections. I don't know how the Alesis handles the stereo sends. Maybe it's woth to use two flex mixes / auxes of the console. Take what sounds best.

B224D019-4999-418A-BD44-AAB73C41EF41.jpeg

Is there any disadvantage to using the Aux Inputs?

The problem is that I have almost used all my Mic/Line inputs with instruments. I’d have to buy new XLR leads to move them up to Mic 1 onwards?
by wahlerstudios on Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 am
No, of course there is no reason to not use the Aux Ins. They are the "normal" inputs for external effects, but there are only two stereo returns. If I understood your question right, you wanted to have more returns than two and possibly also more sends.

It's also possible to use Tape In left/right as return for external effects.

BTW - I see on your photo that the volume knob of the Main Outputs is set to Zero. If you want to hear something, the knob should be turned up fully (or to the level you need).
by shazibmalik on Mon May 20, 2019 5:04 am
wahlerstudios wroteEffect sends are always mono, but effect returns are stereo. If you don't need the input 13 to 24 channels otherwise, simply connect your returns there. These input channels have combo sockets (balanced mic/line channel inputs), so you don't need the two Aux In's for external effects.

thank you for this tip.
Test 1:
pg 32 of the manual shows how to connect a Mix Out & Aux Input 1 in order to include an external effects processor. Which I have tested and works wonderfully.

Test 2:
I have physically connected input channels 18 & 19 to my processor as a return (effected signal).
(using Mix Output 9 going to my processor))
I can't find the guidance on how tell the mixer of this setup as required. What do I need to do?

BTW - I see on your photo that the volume knob of the Main Outputs is set to Zero. If you want to hear something, the knob should be turned up fully (or to the level you need).

Thank you, yes I noticed that when I first connected it - the sound level was very low.
I think halfway is unity gain.
by wahlerstudios on Mon May 20, 2019 5:56 am
The volume knob of the Main Outputs should be set to +0 (full). Digital mixers do not have that kind of "unity" level any more, which you are used from analog consoles.

When you use aux sends to feed external effects, their master should be set to post fade to make them behave like the four post fade FX sends. This means that the fader(s) on Main level are having the "active part" here. You raise and set send faders, but they follow the faders on Main level.

Your return channels 18+19 should be routed to Main in order to send the processed signal to the main output. If you read further on page 33, this is described. No. 8 is always important: "Move the Master fader (of your aux) to adjust the overall level of the output you’re sending to the external processor".

(For the ones reading here: We are talking about the StudioLive_Series_III_OwnersManual_V5_EN_26042019)
by SwitchBack on Mon May 20, 2019 6:54 am
shazibmalik wrote... the sound level was very low.
I think halfway is unity gain.
Always good to check the specs of your gear.

The trim pot on the back of the mixer is an attenuator, reducing the mixer's maximum output level (+24dBu for a balanced connection, +18dBu for unbalanced) by what you set the pot to.

Note that the +24dBu/+18dBu level is with the mixer's output meters at absolute maximum, just before clipping. You will want to stay well clear of that so your working output level will be lower by as much as the output meters tell you.

Then check the rated input level for the inputs connected to the outputs. Aim for a working input level at which the THD for the input is specified as that will be the input's sweetspot (high SNR and low THD). Adjust the trim pot accordingly :)

9 posts
Page 1 of 1