6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We have been using the Studiolive 32 at our church since it came out and have had few issues, but we have recently been having a particularly nasty bug that I can't explain. When switching certain (not all) channels from USB input to Analog and then back to USB, it produces a horrible feedback-like sound that is incredibly loud. It only started happening once we updated to the latest firmware for the board. I was wondering if anyone has had this experience also? I am about to do a factory reset on the board, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem as well. I have already tried re-installing UC as well as the board firmware, to no avail. We are using Studio One 3 as a live DAW over USB. I have listed our specs below. Thanks!

Mac Pro 2012
Processor: 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory: 96 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Universal Control 2.6.0.47164
Studiolive 32 Firmware 2.0.19534
by wahlerstudios on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:18 am
The feedback comes from Studio One and is caused by a wrong routing of inputs and outputs. Furthermore, there are new options for digital sends, which you need to consider. We had a discussion about this theme in the forum in February. If you want to check it out:

Using Studio One Plugins Live with my Studiolive 24R
viewtopic.php?f=338&t=33602

Added to this thread was a description about how to use Studio One's effects instead of the mixer's effects.
by bartonpopenoe on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 am
I'll add some additional info to this post as I run into this issue frequently (and I believe this is something that the developers could address).

When switching channel's Input to Digital (either Network of USB), Universal Control will automatically switch the Digital Send Source to Digital, which will immediately causes a terrible feedback loop, until the Digital Send Source is changed to Analog. This is why it's important to Mute your channel before making any routing changes, especially in a live situation.

Unfortunately, there's also an issue that requires me to toggle the Input from Network/USB to Analog, then back to Network/USB on every single channel each time I startup my mixer before any Network/USB routed channels will work, so I've gotten used to the workflow of muting all before running through my startup procedure, or doing this procedure before I even power up my speakers.

Seems to me that the developers could either leave the user's input source selection alone when the user makes a routing change, or automatically Mute the channel after changing input sources in order to address this issue.
Last edited by bartonpopenoe on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by bartonpopenoe on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:36 pm
I've been giving this issue a bit of thought and I'm trying to figure out why the developers made things work the way they currently do.

I tried to imagine a situation where it would be desirable for the Digital Send Source to be set to Digital when the Input was set to Network/USB and I couldn't think of a situation when that would be desirable. The most plausible situation I could imagine was configuring a different digital input channel from the output channel (example: IN on USB 1, OUT on USB 2) but I couldn't really think of a practical reason why I'd ever want to do that. The way things currently work, automatically switching the Digital Send Source to Digital each time the user switches to a Network/USB input source is always going to cause a feedback spike.

Am I missing something? I'm guessing that there must be a reason why the software is designed this way.
by PAE Seth on Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am
There was a workflow change way back in 1.6 firmware, where selecting a 'Digital Input Source Type' auto switched the Digital Send to Digital from Analog.

So, selecting Network, will allow your DAW to receive the Networked input signals over USB. This worked fine.

However, the unintended issue created is that USB Source Type also switches the digital send. This causes the Feedback loop problem.

I've discussed this issue with Ray once before and my hope is to change this functionality for USB source type only.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by michaelmccolley on Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:36 pm
My assumption is this has NOT been resolved yet?

Live Mixer: StudioLive 32 Series iii

DAW: Studio One v4.5

Computer: Win 10 Pro (1903 Build 18363.418) - x64 / CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600x 3.8-4.4GHz / Mobo - Asus Prime X570-P / Graphics - Gigabit AMD Radeon RX 470 4gb GDDR5 / RAM - 16gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz / SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500gb

6 posts
Page 1 of 1