6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I might be missing some basic knowledge here, but I'm not sure it's the way it's supposed to work.
The desk is on the latest firmware. Everything is reset - clean project, scene and digital paching.
As soon as any of the fixed Sub outputs is selected - regardless of the Main selected or not - the very same signal is sent to Mix 9 and Mix 10 (it has the same behavior in all 3 FlexMix modes). I tried with the Tape in coming from the computer on USB, also on a random input with a mic.
Are we dealing with a bug here?
(Sorry if it was discussed before, I haven't found anything about it)

Also, if I may have a simple question here... is there any way to have these built in Sub outs Post fader? Meaning that I would like to be able to ride their volume with the Main out Fader. I hope it's clear for everyone.

SL32III | SL32R | E16M | Apollo8 | Genelec 8040 | Mac mini | Studio One 4 | AIR15 | Mackie Thump12
by gierig on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:38 am
As soon as any of the fixed Sub outputs is selected - regardless of the Main selected or not - the very same signal is sent to Mix 9 and Mix 10 (it has the same behavior in all 3 FlexMix modes). I tried with the Tape in coming from the computer on USB, also on a random input with a mic.
Are we dealing with a bug here?

No, can't reproduce that on my SL24III. Believe when something will send to a FlexMix
Bus without setup it it would be already see by others.
Can you describe like Step by Step what you setup up ?
Are you sure that you Reset Digital Patching / Project successful
and not use any old not compatible settings pre Firmware 2.x ?

Also, if I may have a simple question here... is there any way to have these built in Sub outs Post fader? Meaning that I would like to be able to ride their volume with the Main out Fader. I hope it's clear for everyone.

They are anytime Post Fader, but not Post MainBus Fader only Post the channel fader.
There is no "after main Fader" and maybe there is no mixer in the Universe with that.
You have your SubGroup A-D for that.

And anything else make not really sense or only in very special situation.

Please describe what you try do do...

SL24III | SL16.4.2 | PA | Electronics | Bass | Mac | Logic x | Manual reader | to old to be fame
by adamfoldes on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:38 am
What I was trying to figure out is a good way to feed a separate sub speaker and say a pair of delay speakers, and be able to control all their volumes (including the mail LR) with only the Main fader. There is a way doing that with Matrix mixes, works like s charm, but you’re burning flexmix channels. So I thought how cool would it be to do it using the 4 built-in sub buses.

SL32III | SL32R | E16M | Apollo8 | Genelec 8040 | Mac mini | Studio One 4 | AIR15 | Mackie Thump12
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:16 pm
You should tell us what mixer you are using, because solutions are different for consoles and rack mixers. If you want to send a sub signal from FOH (console) to the rack mixer on stage (in stagebox or monitor mode), you will always have to sacrifice one flex mix, because you need the phsycial output. A matrix mix is the way to go.

Still you should think of other options. A subgroup or an aux sub are very good alternatives.

15 aux mixes are not enough...?
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:07 pm
The nature of subgroups is to be postfade, because they only serve as volume control and processing step for "grouped" input channels. Therefore they are - by default - routed to main mix. It is, of course, possible to unroute subgroups in order to use their physical output (available on models SL 32S, SL 32SX and SL 32 only).

In flex mix subgroups, you will find all input channels available. In fixed subgroups, you have to select the input channels you want to be part of the subgroup. In UC Surface you click on the input channels and confirm the "editing" by "Done". On the mixer you use the touch screen (right down corner) and the letters A, B, C or D, which represent the fixed subgroups. If you want to group a subgroup (A+B and/or C+D), this needs to be done on the mixer. UC Surface 3.0 does momentarily not support this feature... :mrgreen:

I don't see any way how any of the subgroups can affect flex/aux mixes 9 and 10. There is no bug. I have no idea what could cause aux 9 and 10 to "mirror" a subgroup. Maybe you changed a subgroup to an aux, or vice versa. Fader settings are always steady.

The new "flagship" of the Series III mixers, the SL 64S, has got a dedicated mono output, which can be used to feed a mono sub, but the rack mixers or stageboxes you need to add to the system, do not offer enough outputs (should be 32+2+1). Again, you need to sacrifice a flex mix...
by adamfoldes on Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:08 am
Thank you for all your inputs.

wahlerstudios wroteThe nature of subgroups is to be postfade, because they only serve as volume control and processing step for "grouped" input channels. Therefore they are - by default - routed to main mix. It is, of course, possible to unroute subgroups in order to use their physical output (available on models SL 32S, SL 32SX and SL 32 only).

This is all clear and makes sense. I still fancy the idea to be able to decide if I want to control their output volume with the maid fader, or not (kind of like a DCA). Since it's possible to set a delay on all these buses individually, right there you would have a simple but effective speaker management system... :)

wahlerstudios wroteIf you want to group a subgroup (A+B and/or C+D), this needs to be done on the mixer. UC Surface 3.0 does momentarily not support this feature...

Wow, that's good to know.

wahlerstudios wroteI don't see any way how any of the subgroups can affect flex/aux mixes 9 and 10. There is no bug. I have no idea what could cause aux 9 and 10 to "mirror" a subgroup. Maybe you changed a subgroup to an aux, or vice versa. Fader settings are always steady.

Later the signal started to show up in other FlexMixes as well, so I did a complete reset, disconnecting everything, power cycle, etc... it chased the ghost out of the system. :thumbup:

wahlerstudios wroteThe new "flagship" of the Series III mixers, the SL 64S, has got a dedicated mono output, which can be used to feed a mono sub, but the rack mixers or stageboxes you need to add to the system, do not offer enough outputs (should be 32+2+1). Again, you need to sacrifice a flex mix...

In exchange the 4 sub outs are removed... BUT there are 32 FlexMixes... sounds very comfortable.
Actually that dedicated mono out behaves exactly what I was looking for...

User manual section 5.6:
"Regardless of mode, the Mono/Center output level is always grouped to the Main output level. This means that while the Mono/Center output level can be adjusted up or down independently to taste, when you move the Master fader while the Main Mix is selected, you will be controlling the relative mix of both the stereo Main Mix and the Mono/Center output levels."

All in all...great products!!!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1