15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know when 44.1Khz sampling rate is coming (for the consoles and rack mixers)? It would be very helpful to have the ability to switch sample rates. Lots of us still record and have tons of files at 44.1 or wish to record at 44.1. Obviously 48 is a bit more of a video standard, vs 44.1 for audio. With that being said, I think having 48 is great but there still definitely should be the option for 44.1. I don't understand why it is taking so long or what the difficulty is... They certainly must have engineers that know how to do this, not to mention that it is in all the literature saying it is coming soon, so I'm wondering what is holding everything up. They should have just had 44.1 ready at release... This "coming soon" stuff always seems like empty promises...

Also, it seems silly that they put multitrack SD recording capability on the console but not on the rack mount version. Only stereo on the rack. Why? Seems like a missed opportunity. That would be an awesome and powerful compact system if the racks had multitrack recording to the SD card and compete with the likes of the A&H Qu rack mixers or X32 rack with the new option card for 32 track recording on board. Seems like they missed the boat on that one. Is it a possible upgrade in the future? Is the hardware capable and they just didn't get around to writing software / firmware for it?
by SwitchBack on Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:44 pm
44.1 is a matter of time, but multitrack recording is a matter of hardware (or a lack thereof). AFAIK the multitrack recording feature on the console mixers relies on the processor in the the desk controls/display hardware. The rack mixers don’t have that hardware.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Remember the press release of January 19, 2017? "PreSonus Unveils Third-Generation StudioLive Consoles"... In two months the "44.1 kHz coming soon" will be two years old. Everything is a matter of time... :mrgreen:

Once upon a time (...) it was said by a representative of said company here in this forum that the rack mixers were not equipped with multitrack features in order to keep their prices down. As far as I know, PreSonus is the only company using SD cards. The others use USB sticks.
Last edited by wahlerstudios on Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by SwitchBack on Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:26 pm
Don’t shoot the messenger? And leaving out a processor (and all that goes with it) will most likely save some money yes.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:47 pm
It was not my intention to shoot the messenger, not at all. ;-) I just find the time-"schedule" ridiculous and I am somehow tired to see all these questions about 44.1, MCU and HUI. Do things need to take two years or three...? I know that also other companies do have problems like this, so it is more an "industry problem". But this doesn't help clients, waiting for promised features...

By the way - I find it good that PreSonus has decided to not overload the Series II rack mixers, as they did with the RM rack mixers. When I was thinking of switching to Series III, I had a look at all the rack mixers on the market and what their "philosophy" was. The PreSonus rack mixers are the only ones, which are meant to be part of a system of mixer/controller and stagebox. A typical rack mixer is meant to be a stand-alone remote controlled solution - which nowadays necessarily includes a multitrack recording option. The Series III rack mixers were always planned to be part of a ecosystem and their three modes "Stagebox", "Monitor Mixer" and "Stand-alone" (parallel mixer) clearly describe their tasks. Nevertheless, the possibilty of using the rack mixers as completely stand-alone mixers is a nice and useful feature, but the "center" of the Series III system are the consoles - again.

But I can also understand the wish to have a "complete" rack mixer and there have already been people asking for a Series III controller like the CS18AI. I have been working with this kind of set-ups for nearly two years and I have enjoyed the immense flexibiliy, but one reason to switch to Series III for me was to get back to a console as the "heart" of the system. Since the completion of the Series III ecosystem in spring 2018, it is possible to understand what the individual elements are for and how diverse they can be used. To me it makes sense that the rack mixers have less features "on board" than the consoles.
by roblof on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:40 am
The x32/x-live uses sdcards for its multitrack recording as well. Cymatic Audio uses an external hdd/ssd for multitrack recording.

wahlerstudios wroteAs far as I know, PreSonus is the only company using SD cards. The others use USB sticks.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by wahlerstudios on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:57 am
I was talking about rack mixers, not consoles. All rack mixers are equipped with USB connectors (recording on computer or external harddisc) and a few allow recording on USB stick. USB B (2.0) has become standard nowadays. Just checked all relevant mixers and I am quite sure that there is no other rack mixer on the market with a SD recording option.
by sjc193 on Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:00 am
I always felt that being able to plug in an external hard drive and multitrack record to it would be optimal for most people. Never understood why everyone wasn't doing that. . .

If you could play back mp3s from it too it'd be super cool!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by roblof on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:06 pm
Well, my x32-rack mixer with the x-live installed can do this. At least the last time I checked :D. The x32-core and m32-c are also rack mixers in the size of 1U.

wahlerstudios wroteI was talking about rack mixers, not consoles. All rack mixers are equipped with USB connectors (recording on computer or external harddisc) and a few allow recording on USB stick. USB B (2.0) has become standard nowadays. Just checked all relevant mixers and I am quite sure that there is no other rack mixer on the market with a SD recording option.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by wahlerstudios on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm
The M 32 C has no physical inputs and outputs, so I would not add it to the circle of competitors, but the X32 Rack is indeed a candidat. I didn't think it's still on sale. You are right, there is a second rack mixer with SD card recording.

Just today bought a SD card for my Series III mixers, so let's see... ;-)
by TheUntalentedOne on Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm
Nearly 2 years :readit: ....... I'm gobsmacked

S1 4.5.3 Artist, Studiolive Series III 16, Studiolive 32R, Windows 10, Behringer MOTOR
by markbeling on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 am
I agree that the implementation of 44.1 khz should have been addressed by now.
the same can be said with the Presonus Faderport 8 controller should have streamlined to work better with other DAW's . what a bloody pity. i use Studio One and Cubase, and the faderport operation in Cubase is a nightmare

Apple Mac Pro late 2013
6 core 3.7Ghz
Osx sierra
Studio One 3.5 Pro
2x presonus Quantums
2xPresonus Dp88
by wahlerstudios on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:56 am
Since the release of UC Surface 2.10 and a firmware update one month ago (Winter NAMM January 2019), 44.1kHz and MCU/HUI support are available for all Series III mixers.

:roll:
by johnmcneill on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:04 am
So 44.1 should be working on the series 3 24R?
by PAE Seth on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am
johnmcneill wroteSo 44.1 should be working on the series 3 24R?

Yes is is. Read the release notes for your updates.

Multi-track recording on the Series 3 racks will always be 2 track only. By design.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower

15 posts
Page 1 of 1