4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have a very specific need that the MOTU LP32 provides. I need to interface with some old gear over ADAT and this has 32 channels of ADAT over AVB. If the LP32 is the only AVB device that I need to interface with the SLIII32, do I need an AVB switch?

Also, when soft patching the AVB outputs on the SLIII32, when AVB 1 is set to CH. 1, is that basically routing Mic Input 1 on the back of the console directly out to AVB? Or is that output going to be post fader? Basically I want to route the physical inputs of the console OUT over AVB, then route AVB back to the console to pass through the channel strips and faders. Like old style tape send and returns. Is this how it works?

Thanks in advance...
by PAE Seth on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:18 am
AVB Send / Out is 'Pre-Fader' and Pre-DSP by default. You can change it to Post-DSP, but it will always be Pre-Fader on the AVB Sends.

Yes, this setup is possible. You will need to use an AVDECC Router to connect the MOTU device to our Mixer. One of the devices will need to assume Grandmaster clock. Probably easier to set our mixer to 'Network Stream' Clock under Home menu.

As far as the send / return setup, You will need to set all inputs to 'Network' Source to hear the returning AVB streams. However, under each channels option page, you will need to set the 'Digital Send' to Analog, not Digital, in order for the AVB Sends to source the Analog inputs and not the Network, otherwise you will either have no audio or feedback loop.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by garystone on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am
Thank you for this info.

When you say "AVDECC Router" does that mean the Presonus or MOTU AVB Switch? Or is that something else?

Thanks again.
by garystone on Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:42 am
After a little more research, I'm finding that I need AVDECC software to tell the SLIII32 how to route its channels to the MOTU box and vice versa? Is that correct? So I need a computer hooked up to do this? That's frustrating because AVB is a standard, right? Shouldn't these boxes talk to each other, regardless of their manufacturer?

4 posts
Page 1 of 1