7 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have two DCA groups set up, "P. TEAM" which is the entire praise band, and "WORSHIP" which is the pastors, lecturn, etc. This allows me to switch between songs and liturgy with ease. Twice, during the morning's service, as I slid the P.TEAM DCA fader up, I saw one or two of the praise band's channel faders just jump to +10dB, jump to the top. In both cases, I noticed it and managed to quickly bring the offending fader or faders back down. But this is just really weird and disconcerting.

During the closing song, the lead guitar sounded terrible. I selected his channel and immediately noticed the compressor gain reduction LED bar graph fully iit up, maximum gain reduction. When I switched to the compressor page, the threshold was -60dB. No wonder it wasn't working. I reset it correctly and then began flipping through all of the band's channels and found two others with whacked compressor settings. Nobody went anywhere near those settings. And why was it all fine for the previous song? All I had done between the two songs was bring the P.TEAM DCA fader down (with prayer) and bring the WORSHIIP DCA fader up for the closing prayer and announcements, and then slide (with prayer) WORSHIP down while simultaneously sliding P.TEAM up.

Nothing was new this Sunday. It should have been a smooth, easy service. I've done the DCA crossfade maneuver a dozen times every Sunday for the almost ten months we've had SL3-32. I've seen the "run away fader" behavior a few times before. But I have never seen the compressors get whacked like this before.

I'm seriously rethinking this mixer.
by Trucky on Wed May 30, 2018 12:20 pm
chuckgollnick wroteI have two DCA groups set up, "P. TEAM" which is the entire praise band, and "WORSHIP" which is the pastors, lecturn, etc. This allows me to switch between songs and liturgy with ease. Twice, during the morning's service, as I slid the P.TEAM DCA fader up, I saw one or two of the praise band's channel faders just jump to +10dB, jump to the top. In both cases, I noticed it and managed to quickly bring the offending fader or faders back down. But this is just really weird and disconcerting. .

Please let us know what StudioLive Series III mixer and firmware you are running.

Also, not sure if you've seen this yet, but here's a video that explains changes made in the latest firmware for DCA Groups. Please let us know the steps and mode you are using to setup your DCA groups.

http://answers.presonus.com/27304/how-dca-filter-groups-work-with-studiolive-series-iii-mixers

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by chuckgollnick on Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 pm
I looked during rehearsals today.

We're running 1.6.13152 firmware on our StudioLive III 32.

I set up my DCAs with the press-and-hold-until-all-the-lights-flash method and I use the new DCA method wherein the channel faders move as you move the DCA fader. Maybe I should switch to the traditional mode?
by wahlerstudios on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 am
I read somewhere that the firmware for Series III consoles is 1.8 14273 now, which is at least two versions younger and different than the "historic" firmware you use. At the same time you are using a feature of the latest UC version, which your firmware definitely is not able to manage in all details. It seems that the mismatch of firmare and software versions is the reason for your problems.
by chuckgollnick on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:52 pm
What version of software are we running? NONE! There is no PC in our system. We just have the StudioLive III 32 console, the full console with all the mechanical faders, not the rack-mount thing.

So, this is NOT a problem of incompatible firmware and software versions because there is no software.

I am hesitant to try updating the console's firmware for two serious reasons: First, none of the subsequent versions has, in its release notes, any note about these problems. It's unlikely that a firmware release will fix problems that the developers didn't intend to fix (in fact, if it does, then there are very serious problems). And, Second, each firmware release seems to fix a few problems but introduce a bunch more. I don't trust Presonus to conduct proper SQA (that's software quality assurance) reviews of their firmware and I don't believe that they do any regression testing at all.
by SwitchBack on Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:02 am
It may still be a good idea to upgrade the firmware every now and then. Probably not every improvement makes it to the release notes, especially when it is for something no one noticed up till then. At some point I think PreSonus improved the filtering on the encoders (the knobs) which might fix your problem.

When you download and store the firmware updates when they become available that allows you to choose between versions. With new releases wait a few weeks (and monitor the forums) before updating. And if your problems persist then get PreSonus Tech Support involved :)
by PAE Seth on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:49 pm
Never seen or heard any reports of these issues.

Unless you can reproduce the issue, consistently, then I'm not sure how we can fix it. Perhaps contacting Tech Support and submitting scenes that present the issue could be helpful.

Personally, I prefer Traditional Mode. That way if a channel fader moves, I'll know it wasn't the DCA that did it.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower

7 posts
Page 1 of 1