7 posts
Page 1 of 1
This morning, as our pastor was reading the intro psalm, I noticed some small clicks in the audio. I punched his channel up as solo and put on my headphones. Sure enough, there were clicks in his audio.

A loose connector? A failing microphone (Countryman E6)? RF interference (AT3000-series)?

I thought that maybe I could dial it down a bit with EQ. This sort of very sharp "click" has a lot of high-frequency content, so maybe if I rolled off his highs, I could reduce the appearance of the clicks at least until I could get to him during a song and swap out his mic and beltpack (detailed diagnosis later).

I brought up his channel EQ and was surprised to see the high (#4) filter's frequency jumping around all by itself, between about 5KHz and 10KHz. The clicks correlated to the jumps. I just barely touched the knob to adjust that frequency. It stopped jumping and the clicks went away never to return.

Strange.
by tomkos on Fri May 18, 2018 12:52 am
I have same problem in one channel where is phantom powered mic. Adjusting Eq helped, thank you.
by SwitchBack on Fri May 18, 2018 2:17 am
chuckgollnick wroteThis morning, as our pastor was reading the intro psalm, I noticed some small clicks in the audio. I punched his channel up as solo and put on my headphones. Sure enough, there were clicks in his audio.

A loose connector? A failing microphone (Countryman E6)? RF interference (AT3000-series)?

I thought that maybe I could dial it down a bit with EQ. This sort of very sharp "click" has a lot of high-frequency content, so maybe if I rolled off his highs, I could reduce the appearance of the clicks at least until I could get to him during a song and swap out his mic and beltpack (detailed diagnosis later).

I brought up his channel EQ and was surprised to see the high (#4) filter's frequency jumping around all by itself, between about 5KHz and 10KHz. The clicks correlated to the jumps. I just barely touched the knob to adjust that frequency. It stopped jumping and the clicks went away never to return.

Strange.
Strange indeed. I have two questions:
    - Which EQ were you using? The standard one or one of the others?
    - Which knob did you touch to make the jumping go away? The knob in the FAT channel or the one on the display or the one below the display? Or maybe a knob on a remote device?
by bogarguzman on Sat May 19, 2018 5:27 pm
I have the same problem when I update to 1.7.14047
doing nothing, but connected to Studio One, thinking about what to do with some racks, suddenly I heard from my Eris 8s, that tick tick tick, repeated at about -15 dB. I checked out around where it comes from, I couldn't find the culprit.
next day, I was conected as an Mac USB interface, to listen to some audios from iTunes,
same situation happened, I stop the audio, and the ticks continued.
I haven't update the firmware to 1.8.14273, yet.
I want to read first the experiences of other.
I know this will be properly addressed and fix. Thank you in advanced.

Bogar

Bogar

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4
32 GB RAM
Studiolive 32 series III firmware 2.01.16038
Studio One Pro
by tomkos on Mon May 21, 2018 4:23 am
I had standard EQ and used knob below screen. Maybe it was low mid, and just barely touched knob and clicking went away.
by SwitchBack on Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 am
OK, I can't reproduce this but I'll ask PreSonus to have a look at it. Should it happen again please provide any details you can think of might help to reproduce (like: which parameter on the screen was 'in focus' of the knob below the screen, what was the exact setting of that parameter, does it also happen when another parameter is in focus, does the jitter also go away when you touch the corresponding FAT channel knob...). Anything that helps zooming in on the underlying issue will speed up any fixes if needed.
by chuckgollnick on Thu May 24, 2018 10:17 pm
These are good questions

- Which EQ were you using? The standard one or one of the others?

The standard one. I know that some people like the "color" added by some of the other EQs, but in my humble opinion, an EQ shouldn't add "color" of its own; an EQ is actually about removing "color" and/or adding carefully controlled color. I prefer the standard 4-channel parametric because I feel like I know what it's doing.

- Which knob did you touch to make the jumping go away? The knob in the FAT channel or the one on the display or the one below the display? Or maybe a knob on a remote device?

The knob I touched just slightly was the one in the fat channel area just below the scribble strip for the channel 4 frequency parameter.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1