8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I own the SL16III.
If I add the 16R, will I then have 24 input channels, all with identical processing?
Or, in each track, will I have to choose between the stage box (16R) and the mixer (SL16III)?

Also, with these two devices, is there any need for an AVB switch? or is that for more complex applications?
Can I wire the 16R directly to the "Audio Network" input on the 16III mixer?

Thank you.
by jameswhitescarver on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:06 pm
I didn't mean to cause any confusion by calling the 16R a "stagebox".
I know about the new NSB 16.8, but this model doesn't interest me because I'd like something that is also a recording interface in its own right (for mobile recording).
With the 16R, I hope to add 16 more recording channels in my studio, and also have a very portable recording (or live sound) option for on-location jobs. I'll be able to bring a laptop, and the 16R.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:37 pm
The manual seems to indicate that you will be able to route the inputs from the rack mixer in blocks of 8 signals to channels 17-32 of the console. You don't need an AVB switch for a single direct connection, the router has its own port. But in a scenario, console at FOH and rack mixer on stage, inputs 1-16 are located at FOH, while inputs 17-32 remain on stage. So, in a way you get "more" channels, but they might not be available for you. In a studio scenario this may not be disturbing.

The better and more flexible alternative seems to be a 32R, because it gives you access to 32 input channels and 16 flex mixes. A 16R is limited to 6 flex mixes. Also remember that a 16R has only 2 FX on board, not 4. Only 32R and 24R share the same processing.
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:55 am
Input/output mapping is very flexible on the Series III mixers. The SL16 console is a full 32 channel mixer inside, only limited by the number of physical inputs and outputs on the console. Depending on the stage box mode the SL16R rack mixer will simply add its 16 inputs and 8 outputs to the pool. The SL16 will do all of the mixing and recording (on SD card, because in the stage box modes you cannot use a computer other than for mixer control).

Depending on the stage box mode it is also possible to throw in the SL16R’s own local mixing and processing but in channel count that’s limited to about half of what the SL16 can do.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 am
"because in the stage box modes you cannot use a computer other than for mixer control"

I never read that a Series III console will stop recording via USB, when it is connected to a Series III rack mixer used in stagebox mode. Isn't networking totally separated from recording (SD, USB)?
by SwitchBack on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:13 am
wahlerstudios wrote"because in the stage box modes you cannot use a computer other than for mixer control"

I never read that a Series III console will stop recording via USB, when it is connected to a Series III rack mixer used in stagebox mode. Isn't networking totally separated from recording (SD, USB)?

You're right. The computer cannot be on the AVB network but it can use the USB connection :)
by jameswhitescarver on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:12 pm
I may be more confused now than before I asked.

So, it is NOT possible to record to Capture or Studio 1 (via usb) inputs from both the SLIII and the 16R?
What happens if i don't use stagebox mode, and i just select "network" for some of my inputes?

Actually, according to the last comment, the 16R can only record to SD card if it's connected to the SLIII via AVB? According to other threads, that isn't correct.

Anyone want to help with this "clarification"?
by wahlerstudios on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:30 pm
Don' t worry, you can record 32 and more tracks via the USB port of your console, regardless where input sources are located in your network. This works exactly the same as FireWire and AVB I networking. It doesn't matter how the network is configured, recording is local (console) and independent.

The StudioLive 16 is a "38x38 USB recording interface" and what happens is that channels 1-16 from your console feed USB tracks 1-16, while 16 more channels are routed from your rack mixer via AVB network to your console as channels 17-24 and 25-32, which can be recorded via USB as tracks 17-32. As a "18x18 USB recording interface" your 16R does not have the same options.

Used in an AVB network (direct connection or switch), your rack mixer is always in one of the stagebox modes. There is no other option. But one of the stagebox modes is called "off", which makes your rack mixer work as "pure stagebox" with no own sound processing. In this mode you simply have no access to anything happening in the rack mixer. This may sound a little confusing, but if you read the Stagebox Mode Addendum, you will understand the terms and how things work.

Hope this helps.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1