8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Documentation gives two diagrams for setting this up, one with and one without the AVB switch. I hooked up my iii series 32 console and 32R (stagebox mode) without the AVB switch and works very well. Why would I want to add an AVB switch box?
thanks
Randy

Windows 10
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 Intel i7
32 gig memory
Studio One 4
Thunderbolt Interface to Quantum box
StudioLive32 board
Adam A7x - with matching sub
by sjc193 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:22 am
Only need it if you want to add a third device to the AVB network such as a computer for recording or one of the new dummy stageboxes that are coming out soon.

The other advantage is it has POE (power over Ethernet) which would provide power to anything on the network that has the ability to take power from the Ethernet cable.

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by wahlerstudios on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:27 am
Steve was faster... ;-)

The manual (Stagebox Mode Addendum) describes the use of an AVB switch as an option, but doesn't say, what you need the switch for. It's probably quite simple: If you want to network MORE and OTHER equiment than a console and a rack mixer, you need a switch. "Other equipment" means the personal mixers (EarMix), the stageboxes (NSB) and more switches, if you want to use more than 4 EarMixers powered by PoE (it is possible to daisy-chain 7 personal mixers, using their external power supply). Also using two or three consoles or third party equipment in your network will only work with an AVB switch.

Steve is right with the "third device", but recording is not possible. "AVB recording" is reduced to a direct connection between console and computer (Mac only), because there is a conflict between network and recording. It's either networking or recording!

A question of general interest: Can you confirm that the four stagebox modes work in a direct connection? The stagebox modes are "Stagebox", "Monitor Mix", "Monitor Mix + Preamps" and "Off". Do they work fully, when there is no AVB swith involved?
by RochesterDude on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:28 am
Yes I’d be glad to verify which modes do and do not work on the R32. Do that in the next day and report back. I am going to be using this in a studio environment so your statement about recording is important. I’m PC Based and have played with the DAW firmware update version to see if control works and have had no difficulties. I am building a separate tracking room and want the R32 to sit in the tracking room. Just noticed last night the board has a network button next to the USB button for channel input. Have not tried it out yet but would this be used for DAW mode and because of this would USB not be necessary?

Windows 10
Sweetwater Creation Station 450 Intel i7
32 gig memory
Studio One 4
Thunderbolt Interface to Quantum box
StudioLive32 board
Adam A7x - with matching sub
by matthewgorman on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:15 am
RochesterDude wroteYes I’d be glad to verify which modes do and do not work on the R32. Do that in the next day and report back. I am going to be using this in a studio environment so your statement about recording is important. I’m PC Based and have played with the DAW firmware update version to see if control works and have had no difficulties. I am building a separate tracking room and want the R32 to sit in the tracking room. Just noticed last night the board has a network button next to the USB button for channel input. Have not tried it out yet but would this be used for DAW mode and because of this would USB not be necessary?

For what you are doing, it5 seems like one of the stagebox modes is what you want. Think of daw mode as a separate piece of hardware. Daw mode has no bearing on input and output setup, since it is just control. Any routing needs to be done on the mixer outside of daw mode. With a stagebox setup, you are pulling the channel signal from the network into the console, so that channel on the console is set to network. However you still need the USB connection from the console to the PC to get the audio into the daw.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by sjc193 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:44 am
wahlerstudios wroteSteve is right with the "third device", but recording is not possible. "AVB recording" is reduced to a direct connection between console and computer (Mac only), because there is a conflict between network and recording. It's either networking or recording!

Whoops!

Man, that kinda sucks, I totally thought that you would be able to network a bunch of things together including a computer (Mac) for recording, if not right now at least in the future. . . I guess not.

I always envisioned Presonus releasing some kind of software that was similar to the Daunte stuff where you route things from device to device as transmitters and receivers, but that doesn't seem to be how it works, I did see some new material about the Network routing on the Menu Screen of the SIII consoles, it's different than I was envisioning in my mind. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by matthewgorman on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:42 am
sjc193 wrote
wahlerstudios wroteSteve is right with the "third device", but recording is not possible. "AVB recording" is reduced to a direct connection between console and computer (Mac only), because there is a conflict between network and recording. It's either networking or recording!

Whoops!

Man, that kinda sucks, I totally thought that you would be able to network a bunch of things together including a computer (Mac) for recording, if not right now at least in the future. . . I guess not.

I always envisioned Presonus releasing some kind of software that was similar to the Daunte stuff where you route things from device to device as transmitters and receivers, but that doesn't seem to be how it works, I did see some new material about the Network routing on the Menu Screen of the SIII consoles, it's different than I was envisioning in my mind. . .

Steve

It will work as you were thinking Steve. AVDECC routing software is in the pipeline.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:22 am
Sounds like good news... ;-) But as long as there is no offical information about substantial changes of facts, this thread in "Answers" and other places is our reference:

"Because of how OSX makes the connections to AVB devices used as local Core Audio devices, recording over AVB is not supported when using Stagebox mode with your StudioLive Series III Console and a StudioLive Series III Rack mixer. Even simply connecting a Mac to your AVB network with either StudioLive mixer enabled in Audio MIDI Setup as an Core Audio device will interfere with the AVB routing necessary for Stagebox mode functionality."

Quote from
http://answers.presonus.com/21890/how-do-i-use-avb-with-a-studiolive-series-iii-mixer-and-a-mac, published by jspring on Oct 26, 2017.

PS: This is the second reference, an article from Knowledge Base: https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005322743-StudioLive-Series-III-Stagebox-mode-and-AVB-with-a-Mac. Quote: "In fact, even simply connecting a Mac to your AVB network with either StudioLive mixer enabled in Audio MIDI Setup as an AVB Audio Device will interfere with the AVB routing necessary for Stagebox mode functionality, and in effect, break stagebox mode."

:reading: I am looking forward to the updates of the "StudioLive_Series_III_AVB_Networking_Guide" and the "StudioLive_Series_III_Stagebox_Mode_Addendum "...

8 posts
Page 1 of 1