5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I have read a few posts already concerning what routers to use and more specifically not to use. My question is more specific to the Ethernet port of the router. I read somewhere that the Series III mixers come with a gigabit Ethernet port. Is it highly recommended to use a router with gigabit Ethernet ports? Will there be a noticeable difference with meter lag etc...between a 100Mbps port and a gigabit?

I am currently using a HP Laptop with a gigabit port and an Asus RT-N12 router which has 100Mpbs ports only and everything is working, but I am wondering if anybody knows if upgrading the router to a router with gigabit ports will have an improvement on lag especially meters and RTA.

Thanks in advance

Windows 11
Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming
Intel i7-11700KF
32GB DDR4 3800mhz
Nvidia 4090
by Bbd on Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:10 pm
Hi.
I am signed up with Charter/Spectrum and they provide a Sagemcom with their monthly service.
It is a wireless router for my home and studio and works great for both.
No issues with the SIII using it.

https://www.screencast.com/t/Vune3mdTel

Don't know if you can get his outside of Specturm but thought I would share what I use.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by luccrispin on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 pm
My big question is if it's really worth it to upgrade my existing Asus router which only has 100Mbps ethernet ports to a router with gigabit ports.

Windows 11
Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming
Intel i7-11700KF
32GB DDR4 3800mhz
Nvidia 4090
by matthewgorman on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:25 pm
luccrispin wroteMy big question is if it's really worth it to upgrade my existing Asus router which only has 100Mbps ethernet ports to a router with gigabit ports.

How are you using it? Is it for studio control, or in a live situation? In studio, I dont think it will matter. Live it may, due to radio traffic from multiple cell phones, and general interference.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by markgreiner on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:19 am
I can’t see why you’d need gigabit speed. Your connecting for control data, not audio data.

BTW, I just purchased an access point for my 32/32R setup. The access point is like a WiFi router, but without the router part—so It has 4 LAN ports on the back, but no WAN port. This means that you can’t connect it directly to your modem, but you can connect it to your existing router, effectively as a switch. Or, you can bring it on the road with you without connecting it to a router—connected only to your Series III for controlling your equipment wirelessly. The access point simplified setup in my situation because you don’t have the DHCP to mess with. I think most routers allow you to configure it as an access point (turning DHCP off), but I found it easier to just purchase an access point—seems like it was cheaper, too.

I’m not a network expert, but I’d be happy to provide additional info if anyone is interested.

Mark

Mark

5 posts
Page 1 of 1