8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Trying to figure out what be the best way to get flexmix outputs louder on 24r in stagebox mode. The outputs 1-6 are connected stereo into 3 separate headphone amps(HP2s). Aux main mixes at unity gain on fader. When playing music the level is ok. But when playing instruments/ singing we lose level. Before when they connected direct to mixer, they could leave headphone output at noon. Now they have to crank to 2 or 3 o’clock. Is that normal?

It’s probably a gain structure thing on the mics and instruments. Probably need to increase their gain, but I can’t add much more without feedback problems. What would be best way to fix gain structure?

I also saw on UC Surface connected to studiolive 16 mixer with 24r in stagebox mode. There is a setting under aux mix that allows to change output source from mixer or network. When I switched to network no sound came out of monitors. Then would come back when on mixer. What is that setting for? Should I use if I have 24r in stagebox mode?

Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 pm
There are four stagebox modes, so you should figure out which mode you are using. A 32R in "Stagebox" mode means that the rack mixer does nothing. It is functioning as digital stagebox, everything is controlled on the S III console. In "Monitor Mix" mode, the rack mixer controls all auxes, but no gains. This is possible only in "Monitor Mix + Preamps" mode. In "Off" mode console and rack mixer share all input signals, but work totally independent and Mains and auxes are completely separated.

"Good" levels for input signals are about 3/4 of the LED meter and the faders at "unity" (actually there is no "unity" on digital mixers). Keep the flex faders down to -20 or -30 dB. This should give you enough headroom on inputs and outputs. For monitoring purposes you will want to set your auxes to "pre fade" (mode 1 or 2), not "post fade". You can also use higher levels in input channels, but whenever you see a red LED on the top of a channel's meter, you need to bring gain down immediately. Also keep in mind that sound processing adds volume to levels.

"Network" is one of the options for inputs (not outputs). The source can also "Analog", "USB" and "SD".

Hope this helps. This page is also worth a visit: https://www.presonus.com/products/StudioLive-24R/downloads. ;-)

StudioLive Series III Rackmount Mixers Owner's Manual
StudioLive™ Software Library Reference Manual
StudioLive Series III Stagebox Mode Addendum
StudioLive Series III AVB Networking Guide
by emanuelgreen on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm
Thanks for reply I will definitely try your suggestions.

We currently use the 24r in stage box mode.

Looking at the 24r user manual I’m guessing a good level would be about where the green and yellow bars meet on UC surface. My meters never got that high. Will try lowering the flex faders down to -30 to -20 dB that should definitely help with headroom issue. We currently use pre 1 on stage monitors and pre 2 on in ears.

Does it take a considerable amount of gain for dynamic mics like sm58? I had mics around 30db.

The network selection is definitely there. At least on uc surface connected to my studiolive 16 series iii mixer. I didn’t see it in the manual. I’m guessing it’s for a personal stage mixer like avioms or p16 over AVB.

Thanks
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am
A pre amp gain of 40 or 35 dB makes sense for SM 58's, if vocals really need to be "on top" of everything. Generally 30 dB is always a good starting point. When I load my "Zero Out" scene and prepare a new event, all input channels are set to 30 dB input gain. My experience is that band instruments usually need less gain, vocals and speech smore, therefore I adjust the gains individually and save them with the scene I create.

Still I am not sure how you understand the term "stage box mode". This mode has 4 variations and can only be activated with a S III console connected. Otherwise your 24R would be working as stand-alone mixer. I suppose you are using "Monitor Mix" or "Monitor Mix + Preamps" mode, which allow you to design sound in monitors and In Ear independently from FOH. I personally prefer "Pre 2" as a basic setting for all auxes, but there is no rule for anything. Do what sounds best.

I haven't seen this "Network" function in UC yet, so it must have to do with the new "Earmix" mixers and probably also the two stageboxes, which finally are what they are called: stageboxes... ;-)
by emanuelgreen on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm
Sorry for confusion. I have a studiolive 16 series iii mixer connected to a studiolive 24r via Ethernet over the audio network connections. I’m currently using the 24r in stagebox mode with the studiolive 16 controlling everything. Which mode would you prefer?

With input meters a little over halfway. Do you like to mix with individual faders around 0 dB and control overall volume with master fader? Is it like that for aux mixes as well?

How do you adjust make up gain on your compressors if everything is in pre2?

Sorry about all the questions. Thanks for all your help.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am
"Which mode would you prefer?"
The "Stagebox Mode" is the traditional approach, which musicians and technicians "understand" and are able to handle. With an iPad on stage, you can remote control monitoring on stage and if you're using In Ear systems, QMix makes life easy. There might be some conflicts of interest between FOH and stage, which means that if too much is done on the main mixer, this does not necessarily please the musicans and singers on stage. That's when and why the monitor modes come into play, giving more flexibility on how things can be done for the room and for the stage. On the other hand: Too much "separation" of FOH and stage can also be difficult. There must be a "common" result at the end, that's the goal! I prefer remote controlled monitor mix on FOH concole (in my case the rack mixer), because my goal is that audience and musicians hear (about) the same.

"Is it like that for aux mixes as well?"
Yes, the function of master and flex faders (aux masters) is to adjust the NEEDED overall volume. Something like "0 dB" or "Unity" is no goal here.

"How do you adjust make up gain on your compressors if everything is in pre2?"
If you need "make-up gain", then you're compressing too much. A compressor as well as a limiter should not be heard, they shoud be used subtle, especially when monitoring and In Ear is involved. The best approach is to "devide" tasks. Do a little bit processing on on the individual input channels and some more on the outputs (mains, auxes, subgroups, FX's). There are Fat Channels everywhere and some graphic equalizers. Ask what processing is needed where, then you will find a good balance.
by emanuelgreen on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:18 pm
Thanks for your much needed input. I also need to read up on how to use compression in live setting. Like what ratios to use and which attack and release times to use.

One band members in ear mix isnt working when switched to stereo on his hp2 amp. Sound just comes out of 1 side only. I have 2 short TRSM to XLRM coming out of studiolive 24r’s auxes 3 & 4 that go into 2 xlr cables, and they go into the mini xlr adapter the comes with hp2. Could it be possible that the wires might have got crossed somewhere that causes sound to come out on one side only? I have auxes 3/4 linked in UC Surface.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:53 pm
Sounds like a cable/connector problem. Try to replace or swap cables and check, if the plugs are all sitting correctly.

Generally: Do not use too many adaptors, better buy long(er) TRS/XLR cables. It might also be worth checking the HP 2. Pan should be at 12 o'clock (center) and the button should be not pushed in (out = Stereo, in = Mono).

I suppose that the settings of your linked channels are correct. Stereo is not happening automatically. You have to adjust pans manually.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1