20 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey again,

so here are my routing questions for the Studiolive 32R:

When using the audio interface, eg. routing stereo piano vsti to the mix, do I have to waste 2 of the 32 channels and thus reduce the total number of available physical inputs to 30 or can I use some alternative routing to preserve all inputs?

Assuming I have a stereo main mix, can I route this to a stereo inear aux pair and add eg. the stereo piano to raise just the volume of that a bit? I would like to have an inear mix where I can actually hear what the technician is doing to the mix, plus I want to have several of those stereo inear mixes, each paired with a different instrument, so the base mix everybody is listening to is what the ausience is hearing. This way, I assume that a lot of time for adjustments on the inear tracks is saved, because once the main mix is good, all inears are more or less as well.

How do I actually pair two auxes to a stereo set?

Thanks a lot, Starting to like this device a lot. Hopefully, this can be done, then I won't have much left to ask for :)

Cheers,
Chris
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:50 am
When using the audio interface, eg. routing stereo piano vsti to the mix, do I have to waste 2 of the 32 channels and thus reduce the total number of available physical inputs to 30 or can I use some alternative routing to preserve all inputs?

No, if the source is software based. So for example, if you are using a studio One instrument for performance, use the tape in (37-38) for the software main out and no inputs are harmed in the process.

Assuming I have a stereo main mix, can I route this to a stereo inear aux pair and add eg. the stereo piano to raise just the volume of that a bit? I would like to have an inear mix where I can actually hear what the technician is doing to the mix, plus I want to have several of those stereo inear mixes, each paired with a different instrument, so the base mix everybody is listening to is what the ausience is hearing. This way, I assume that a lot of time for adjustments on the inear tracks is saved, because once the main mix is good, all inears are more or less as well.

The Tape in fader is available in all auxes, so that fader would control the VSTI. I think you set the Auxes to post 2 to mirror the main out.

How do I actually pair two auxes to a stereo set?

Auxes will pair odd/even. Select aux one and press the link button, which will automatically link aux 2 for stereo.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 am
Thanks for the quick reply. What do you mean with tape in? The Return A and B? Ok and if I use more software channels than 2, eg. for left hand bass and click, I will then have to start using the 32 channels or can I enable more returns?

I will give all that a try and report later :)
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:06 am
It should be labeled Tape in. Make sure you are on the current UC release, and matching mixer firmware.

If you are going to use more "software" channels, it would probably be better to start using inputs. Using more software channels would probably mean doing a sub mix in Studio One to balance those channels, since its only a stereo return in what I mentioned. Not impossible, but could cause some confusion. You can route the Studio One tracks back to mixer inputs, and have those mixer inputs set to source from USB.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:25 am
Thats exactly how i did it before: switching inputs to usb. But then the corresponding Inputs are unavailable right? Would be nice to have more tape in channels optionally. Should be possible by firmware. But thats no Big Deal. Click can't be in a Stereo pre mix from the daw since it is only Routed to the inears. Separate left Hand bass and piano gives the technician the Option to Control These two Sounds Independently but also raises the Risk of the Piano Turned down too much :D
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am
Try 'Dig Ret' (usb returns 37/38). It's the one before last input fader :)

There's 40 usb returns in total, 32 channels and 8 more...
Last edited by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:57 am
SwitchBack wroteTry 'Dig Ret' (usb returns 37/38). It's the one before last input fader :)

For some reason the Dig Ret was renamed to tape in on the series 3.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by andresrowig on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:00 pm
It's called Dig Ret in uc 2.5.1.45526 ;) can't tell that it is stereo..
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:43 pm
Here's something to try:

The channel sends (to the computer) come before the returns. So a channel set to e.g. usb is still sending its analog input to the computer. This allows you to use e.g. Studio One to reroute analog inputs to other mixer returns.

On the Series III mixers the 8 extra returns are Aux inputs 1 and 2 (both stereo), Dig Ret (stereo) and the TalkBack digital return (mono but shows up as stereo). That gives you 7 channels to route analog stereo inputs to (keyboards, xy-pairs, …), in favor of digital inputs you prefer to have on a mono channel. That way you keep your 32 analog inputs and have flexibility in where you want your digital sources.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:53 pm
The 32R has no Aux inputs, no sub outs, no tape outs, no talback input...
Tape In (RCA) shares inputs with channels 31 and 32...
:oops:

Digital Return is always stereo, because it is THE return from Studio One.
:thumbup:
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:57 pm
Aux inputs 1 and 2 are digital only, avb or usb sourced on the 32R.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:01 pm
wahlerstudios wroteThe 32R has no Aux inputs, no sub outs, no tape outs, no talback input...
Yes it has, just not the analog inputs and outputs to go with it. But all (digital) mixing capability is there including usb returns and sends ;)
by wahlerstudios on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:21 pm
"not the analog inputs and outputs to go with it."

That's what I meant. It's all happening in the digital domain. There are no "additional" inputs for audio signals, still the 32R is a 40x40 USB and 55x55 AVB interface.

:)
by SwitchBack on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:45 pm
So you can use the computer to route a pair of analog inputs to say Aux Input 1 and then use the two mixer channels you just freed up for two mono sources from the computer. It's not somehow adding analog inputs, but it's to keep using those you have even though some channel inputs are set to digital.

All this in wait until the requested digital patchbay sees the light of day ;)
by andresrowig on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm
Hey,
some more questions:

Can our sound guy check the studiolive 32R setting offline (without the hardware) in an editor? How would I create such a file?

SD card Main Mix recording has glitches. Is this a known bug of the current firmware? No glitches auditible while recording. SD card was used for video recording before, so it should be fast enough. I am using a micro sd in adapter though. A clean recording would be a must for the gig on friday.

How do I open a ticket for support (windows chopping problem). sl 32r is actually running fine on a mac.

Thanks
Chris
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm
1: There is no external editor available

2: Not all SD cards fit and they need special formatting (there is a lot to find about this here in the forum)

3: You can open a support ticket in your PreSonus account
by andresrowig on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:14 pm
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check..
by manfredschmitt1 on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 am
Please vote for an offline editor option in UC
https://answers.presonus.com/30446/offl ... studiolive
Thanks a lot

Regards from Germany
by wahlerstudios on Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:58 am
The feature request "offline editor" is seen at least twice a month for several years now and as there are so many individual requests, they don't get enough votes to be considered by the always watching developing engineers. And even if all votes for the individual requests would be counted together, this would not change the fact that the request makes no sense because UC Surface simply is not designed to work offline. There is a "demo mixer", but it's the old SL 3242AI with its fixed settings and easy structure. The modern mixers have a lot a variable features and can be equipped different (plugins) - not to forget the stagebox and network options, so I don't think that PreSonus can create an editor which is able to cope all possible variations. You need to know that UC Surface is used by a variety of products:

StudioLive Series III console mixers:
StudioLive Series III rack mixers
StudioLive AI-Series console mixers
StudioLive AI-Series RM/RML rack mixers
StudioLive legacy 16.0.2 USB console
FaderPort series
Quantum Thunderbolt Interfaces
Studio Series USB Interfaces
AudioBox VSL Interfaces
AudioBox USB Interfaces

As the name says, the surface wants and needs to be "Universal Control" for all products and it gets configured via the connection to the mixer or interface. Only then it can work fully and you can store scenes and settings in manifold ways. This being "universal" simply rejects stand-alone solutions. The only alternative would be to release UC versions for each product lines like one version for the Series III products and one for the USB interfaces. I don't think PreSonus will ever do this, because their intention is to have a common surface for all their products.

UC surface is designed to "mirror" the equipment used. You don't need more than an iPad, the mixer and a router to write and store your scenes and presets offline. And I don't think that a printing feature does make sense. It would need an additonal editor to make the printed lists meaningful. There is no "standard" for this kind of lists. The needs and approaches of the users are too different...

By the way, what does this has to do with " Inear and Audio Interface Routing Options"...?
by SwitchBack on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:15 am
Well, should PreSonus decide to offer offline editing it doesn’t have to be for all PreSonus mixers/hardware. They could offer it e.g. for Series III mixers with 32 channel architecture alone. Replace the AI demo with a 100% functional Series III demo and you’re nearly there...

And offline editing was one of the OP’s follow-up questions. Maybe worth a new thread ;)

20 posts
Page 1 of 1