3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing that I am.

This "usually" happens after we turn off the SLIII mixer and back on, that our mixer does not pick up any signal from some mics with no apparent reasons. I found out that if I turn up the gain level of those channels up and down just a little bit (just one notch), all of sudden the signal would start flowing in.

So, it's as if the channel's gain gets muted for no reason, and it gets out of that state when some changes are made (even a slightest one) to the gain level.

I think we started seeing this behavior about a month after we purchased the mixer and started using it. However, I am not so sure if this issue (?) existed from the very beginning - since we always played with the gain level and other settings in the beginning, and there also were so many other things which almost always went wrong at that time; you know, we were not very familiar with the mixer then and always scrambled this and that. So, even if the mixer behaved the same way then we probably would not have noticed it.

It seemed to be happening with mics, not with instruments. Also, once we jiggled the gain level a little bit and have the signal coming to the channel, then all the mics continued working fine.

So, I just made it a standard practice to move the gain level of each mic channel up and down after booting up the mixer. Until this point, I wasn't too much concerned about this.

Then last Sunday, my church choir performed a Christmas cantata. They sang for about half an hour, which is longer than normal duration of their performance.

After the service, I brought the a SD card home and opened a Capture session to mix the tracks, and then I noticed that one of the piano mics (we have two mics for the piano; one for low and another for high) suddenly stopped recording after the first two songs (there were a total of six).

Yesterday I went to the church again, for our Friday worship, turned on the mixer, and found out that the channel for that piano mic was still not getting any signal. I turned the gain level of that channel up and down by a notch, and boom the signal started flowing in. So, apparently it's the same issue, but this time it happened during the middle of the performance... :(

We usually keep the mixer off when not used, and it gets turned on and off about once a day during our morning prayer time (we do not use piano there, we turn on the mixer just to play some CD tracks). So, the mixer got turned on and off a few times between last Sunday and the Friday after. Does it mean that once the channel got into this muted gain state then it's stuck there?

Now I am a bit concerned. Are things getting worse progressively? It really feels like occurrence of this issues is becoming more frequent. The worst is that what happened the last Sunday suggests this may happen right in the middle of the performance.

I am quite positive this is not caused by a faulty mic or wiring/cable. There just are too many varieties of mics we have had this issue with. So far, we had this issue with two different Shure SM58 mics (wired), two Sennheiser ME 35 mics, two other condenser mics (I forgot the model number - these are for the Piano), and another Shure SM58 (wireless) with Shure PGX4 receiver.

The firmware version on our SLIII is 1.4.12465. I know there's a newer version now, which I will be upgrading to soon. However, I wonder if this was actually a known issue and it was explicitly addressed and resolved with the new version (well, if it is fixed with the firmware upgrade, which I hope).

My apologies in advance if this was a known issue and I just wasted everyone's time with a very long posting on something everyone knew already :shock: I did searched the forum before posting this, but nothing came up.

Thank you and happy new year!

John
by bubbaguth on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:59 am
John -

I haven't heard of this issue specifically, but perhaps some variants of it in related matters. My recommendation is:

1. Get your firmware up to date and monitor the situation. There are a lot of fixes in each firmware release so even being a couple behind is a big deal. This is first thing that PreSonus will require you to do before taking any further action.

2. If the problem still exists, open a support ticket with PreSonus and they will help you determine the next steps.

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by johnpark5 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:46 am
I've updated the firmware to the latest version on Saturday. On the following Sunday (yesterday), I haven't seen any issues. We will monitor for this issue closely for the next few weeks as you have advised and let you guys know.

Thank you and have a happy new year!

3 posts
Page 1 of 1