11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am trying to connect an Apple Air Express (on loan from our bass player) to our SL Series 3 mixer so that we can mix wirelessly using UC Surface on an iPad. I'm not finding any information in the the manual, Software Reference or Learn docs.

I assume that's because it's a simple, intuitive process that any idiot could complete without instruction but I'm falling flat winging it. Maybe I'm not your average idiot. :oops:

The iPad doesn't seem to detect the "network" and I'm not even sure that the mixer is actually recognizing the router (connected to the Control port).

Has anyone found documentation on this process?

Knobs McGee
by SwitchBack on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:30 pm
Generally speaking, with routers,

Connect a computer/laptop to the/a LAN port (not the WAN port) to get access to the router's config menu (from your web browser. You'll need the router's IP address for this and maybe a password). Configure the router's wifi access credentials by entering a network name and password. That's the computer's work done. Now connect the mixer to the/a LAN port and switch it on. Note that the router must be completely up and running (some routers take ages) before you switch on the mixer.

Now any smartphone/tablet/... running one of the appropriate PreSonus control apps can log on to the router's wifi network (you may have to instruct your device to use the router's wifi network even though it has no internet access). The app will then detect the mixer. The first/FOH device gets to set up the permissions for the other devices.

It won't be much different with the AirPort Express.
by wahlerstudios on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:32 pm
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=202&t=4847
"Configuring Apple Routers"

Maybe this is the right thread for you. ;-) Dynamic IP addresses is the standard, you don't need a "hidden network". And as SwitchBack wrote, remember to always let the router boot fully before you switch on the mixer. It needs to be able to deliver the IP address the mixer looks for.
Last edited by wahlerstudios on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
by peterbutler2 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:18 pm
Thanks gents.

Again, where's Presonus' documentation on this? I can understand not having specific router set-up but the information you guys provided would be a helpful addition to the manual and give most users a place to start. Ah well, maybe in the rewrite, eh?

Thanks again!

Knobs McGee
by SwitchBack on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:59 am
I'd say configuring routers and setting up wifi networks isn't in any way specific to using routers together with (PreSonus) audio equipment, just like e.g. installing an operating system on your computer isn't. So I can see why PreSonus doesn't provide any 'how to' details. But a few general directions and a 'check your router's manual' might help. And wherever you have a wifi network up and running those instructions can be as simple as 'connect your mixer to a LAN port and you're done' :)
by bubbaguth on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am
Unfortunately, when you decide to take the dive into the network abyss , few will escape going in to it blind. You will be much more successful and less stressed if you accept the fact that the more you understand some basics about computer networking, the happier you will be. Youtube is your friend...there is a wealth of information about networking fundamentals and tons of videos specifically how to set up an Apple router. The Apple router could care less if it's an iPad, a mixer, a computer...etc...it's all the same in that regard and there is nothing that PreSonus does that requires anything more than any other device connecting to the network. There are plenty of people with "tuning" opinions and tips, but those are not required to establish base connectivity and successful operation.

Good luck

RM32AI, RM16AI, CS18AI, SL16, 32R, NSB 16.8, 328AI, 18sAI
MOTO AVB and 5WSE Switch
NowSonic Stage Router Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro
Apple iPad Pro
Macbook Pro
by matthewgorman on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:19 am
https://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.c ... 042017.pdf

Section 11 starts the networking information.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by peterbutler2 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 pm
So general consensuses is that once I have the network set up on the router, I just connect it to the Control port and boot the SL-S3. The mixer should detect it without any other steps. Then I just connect the iPad to the network and grant permission from the mixer?

I'm waiting for my buddy to find the router password, then I'll go through the steps outlined in the docs you guys linked me to.

Thanks for all the help!

Knobs McGee
by peterbutler2 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 pm
I discovered that I could reset the router and put in a new password. That part went okay but I ran into a snag with the set-up instructions. The version of AirPort Utility is quite different from what's shown in the "AirPort Set-Up for ISO" instructions Mathew sent me the link for. It says to set the "Connect Using" to DHCP but that isn't one of the options in the drop-down.

I'll try again later, with fresh eyes...AAARGH!

Knobs McGee
by JimmyMuhlenbruch on Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:24 pm
PERSONALLY, I'm a fan of using static iP addressing on the mixer. One has to understand some basics of networking for this to work. I had some issues with configuring this, but it turns out that the install of the new firmware corrupted the IP stack and I couldn't connect. Once I downgraded firmware, re-updated, I was able to connect via the static IP address of the mixer. I'll be more than willing to outline steps on how to do this if anyone is interested.

James "Jimmy" Muhlenbruch
CCNP, MCSE, S+
by richgenoval on Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 pm
Jimmy - I'd love to know how you did this!!!!

We've been using our mixer for a year with no issues, and suddenly halfway through our show, we're completely dropping out, and unable to connect for the rest of our performance. We updated Firmware, and App Version, and it was okay for a couple months. Then recently, some demon took over.

Obviously a real problem, as we can't restart anything mid-show. Unbelievable.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1