8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Our church is considering a Series III RM and intend to start off with iPad control via wifi. What would be the easiest and least expensive way to get audio, primarily pre and post service music, from the FOH computer or mobile device (iPad, iPhone, etc) to the RM?

I know AVB is an option but the way I understand it, if I want to do anything other than a direct point-to-point cable run between the RM and computer, I'd have to get a AVB router which puts us at a completely different price point.

I know I could also run a long audio cable but that kind of defeats the purpose of using a RM in the first place. I also know having a control surface such as a Series III 16 would also give us what we need, but the price puts that more like Phase 3 for us and not Phase 1.

Thanks for any help/advise you can provide.
by matthewgorman on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 am
You have to first decide if the pc will be used to record and provide break music. If capture is open on the PC, it won't allow other programs to access the sound output from say Itunes.

If you want to also control the break music remotely, you can set up a stand alone network for the mixer environment, and use a remote desktop application (plenty of free ones out there), to remote into the pc and start/stop the break music that way. You can plug the PC from the headphone out on the pc to the rca inputs of the computer for simplicity.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by damionddunlap on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:16 am
Honestly I was hoping to get away with using only the stereo SD card recording and not have to put a computer on stage. I didn't think of it before but I could simply use a wifi or Bluetooth streaming device. Found a few options on Amazon for less than $30. With that I could run spotify from an iPad and be ok without a computer at all.

The other issue is that I also need to get audio from the stage to our video system at the back of the room near FOH.
by wahlerstudios on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:14 pm
A single mixer (console or rack mixer) always needs a snake, may it be copper or digital - or several XLR lines. You definitely need the mixer at FOH, not on stage. With a SL 16 you have 16 input channels, 10 auxes and two or three mains -in total 28 to 29 lines. Second hand copper snakes are cheap these days, so you can get a perfect solution without spending a lot of money...

All digital mixers can be remote controlled and all you need is a router, to get 12 mobile devices running. For controlling monitors/In Ears it doesn't matter where the mixer is located, but not having the mixer at FOH will always result in compromises, that will more or less hinder your work.

Just my 2 Euro cents... ;-)
by damionddunlap on Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:43 am
wahlerstudios wroteA single mixer (console or rack mixer) always needs a snake, may it be copper or digital - or several XLR lines. You definitely need the mixer at FOH, not on stage. With a SL 16 you have 16 input channels, 10 auxes and two or three mains -in total 28 to 29 lines. Second hand copper snakes are cheap these days, so you can get a perfect solution without spending a lot of money...

All digital mixers can be remote controlled and all you need is a router, to get 12 mobile devices running. For controlling monitors/In Ears it doesn't matter where the mixer is located, but not having the mixer at FOH will always result in compromises, that will more or less hinder your work.

Just my 2 Euro cents... ;-)

As much I'd like to disagree with you, I have to admit that your right. For budget purposes, we are trying to cut corners but it doesn't come without compromises.

I wish the other 3 presonus stage boxes were available sooner because they are more likely to fit our budget but Q1 FY18 doesn't fit our timeline. For now, I guess we will be looking for a cheap analog snake as much as that bothers me.

Thanks for the input.
by dennis g on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:50 am
How many channels are you looking to run between from your FOH? If all you need is two channels from your computer and two channels onto the video system I would consider using a CAT6 passive snake, you can run 4 channels of audio threw Ethernet cable in analog form. That way when time comes you get a control surface you already have your CAT6 line run and its plug and play. Check out ETS InstaSnake PA204M Passive Network Audio Snake.
by damionddunlap on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 am
The InstaSnake isn't a bad option and really would do the trick but it would really bother me to spend $160x2 for those only for Presonus to come out with more stage boxes in that price range. Pure speculation here but with the 16R at $800, I'm assuming there will be stage boxes without DSP in the $300-500 range.

This discussion really has me rethinking my plan. Now I'm leaning towards skipping the rack mixer, getting the biggest Series III we can afford, saving the $1k we were going to spend eventually on a touch screen computer, and finding a cheap or free analog snake, our venue (school) actually has a 12x4 analog snake installed.
by matthewgorman on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:25 am
The series 3 mixers are all 32 channel under the hood, some with digital only channels. An economical solution would be a 16 channel console, and the 32 channel rack mixer. You would use the fader bank layers to control all 32 channels from the console.

Not sure what the stage boxes will look like, but they most likely will be lower in cost than the rack mixers. Not sure when they will be here though. Q1 of 2018 was last I saw, but that may change.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

8 posts
Page 1 of 1