18 posts
Page 1 of 1
How many devices can be connected/AVB switches?
Can two consoles be used instead of a rack mount mixer or using all three together?
How many channels can we have available to choice from, understand you can only mixer 32 of them at any one time?
When using a R mixer in stage box mode with one or more console, do each have there own separate gain control or is one by set by a master and the other desks have to deal with it.

I am hoping I can make the 32R work in my system, but I figured I would ask and see if I get a answer before ordering something that doesn't do what I need I to do.
by matthewgorman on Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:11 am
Right now, the AVB works in a 1:1 ratio with the stagebox and console. The series 3 mixers top out at 32 channels. You would not be able to source channels from multiple consoles or stage boxes, but it was stated somewhere that it is in the roadmap.

I'm not quite clear on what you are trying to do, so if you want to lay that out in more detail, maybe we can get a better idea of how this will fit in your environment. It seems to me that you are looking for dante style routing, which is not there yet with AVB.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by wahlerstudios on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:27 am
https://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/pdf/StudioLive_Series_III_Stagebox_Mode_Addendum_26092017.pdf

Section 2.3 of the "StudioLive Series III Stagebox Mode Addendum" explains the four stagebox modes:

1) Stagebox
"This is a more traditional Stagebox function, where the StudioLive Series III rackmount mixer simply serves as a remote I/O box for the StudioLive Series III console at FOH."

2) Monitor Mix
"While this mode is active, the StudioLive Series III rackmount mixer retains all its mixing functionality for every FlexMix, allowing you to create monitor mixes and more using the FlexMix outputs. ... When Monitor Mix mode is active, preamp gain and phantom power control cannot be controlled locally on the rack mixer."

3) Monitor Mix + Preamps
"This mode functions the same as Monitor Mix mode, but adds remote preamp control for either mixer from the rack mixer in addition to the console mixer."

4) Off
"When 'Off' is selected, the console and rack mixers will retain their AVB input connectivity (i.e. all the inputs from the rack mixer will be available
on the console mixer and vice versa), but each mixer will source its Main Left/Right and FlexMixes locally and preamp control will not be available for the rack mixer from the top panel of the console mixer."

It was said earlier this year or even last year that it will be possible to use "multiple" mixers (three or more in one AVB network) and as the new rack mixers are technically identical to the console mixers, it should be possible to implement the stagebox modes (or one of them) to the SL III consoles. But don't wait for features like this. They might come, or not.

And there will be two more stageboxes coming in Q1 2018. Nobody knows what they will be used for.
by dennis g on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:58 am
I am involved with a couple shows that have multiable choirs and bands, plus a little bit of everything else. We have been renting equipment lately, X32 and M32 or I Live which one gets used for FOH and the other for monitors using AES50 or a spliter snake. So I am wanting to put together our own system. When I hear about AVB I thought that would work best. We don't need to mix 32 plus channels at anyone time, but when we change set ups between stage performances it gets a little fun swapping inputs. The last show we did was also broadcast the event, we accomplished this by using a spare aux and doing our own mix on a tablet else where in the venue.
I am hoping to do the same think with studiolive with even more flexibility and being able use studiolive 16 for a broadcast mix, but also add audio for videos into AVB back to SL32 FOH and SL32R Monitors/Snake instead of running multiable cables everywhere.
The studiolive 32 has been billed as having 55 channels of AVB and from what I have read about AVB uses it newer version/ competitor with Dante.
by dennis g on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 pm
wahlerstudios wrotehttps://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.com/downloads/products/pdf/StudioLive_Series_III_Stagebox_Mode_Addendum_26092017.pdf

Section 2.3 of the "StudioLive Series III Stagebox Mode Addendum" explains the four stagebox modes:

1) Stagebox
"This is a more traditional Stagebox function, where the StudioLive Series III rackmount mixer simply serves as a remote I/O box for the StudioLive Series III console at FOH."

2) Monitor Mix
"While this mode is active, the StudioLive Series III rackmount mixer retains all its mixing functionality for every FlexMix, allowing you to create monitor mixes and more using the FlexMix outputs. ... When Monitor Mix mode is active, preamp gain and phantom power control cannot be controlled locally on the rack mixer."

3) Monitor Mix + Preamps
"This mode functions the same as Monitor Mix mode, but adds remote preamp control for either mixer from the rack mixer in addition to the console mixer."

4) Off
"When 'Off' is selected, the console and rack mixers will retain their AVB input connectivity (i.e. all the inputs from the rack mixer will be available
on the console mixer and vice versa), but each mixer will source its Main Left/Right and FlexMixes locally and preamp control will not be available for the rack mixer from the top panel of the console mixer."

It was said earlier this year or even last year that it will be possible to use "multiple" mixers (three or more in one AVB network) and as the new rack mixers are technically identical to the console mixers, it should be possible to implement the stagebox modes (or one of them) to the SL III consoles. But don't wait for features like this. They might come, or not.

And there will be two more stageboxes coming in Q1 2018. Nobody knows what they will be used for.

I read the PDF, but it wasn't clear as to the scope of its ability as regarding the adding other devices in. What I am trying to do Isn't in the Manual, so that's why I am asking. I was hoping to get Ray or someone else at Presonus to clarify what can and can't work. Otherwise I will have to look in a system that can.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:48 pm
It says under "Monitor Mix": The FlexMix outputs on your console mixer will remain active as well, allowing you to use both sets of FlexMix outputs and, in effect, doubling your mixing capability.

This means that you can have 32 independent aux mixes, 16 at FOH (SL 32) and 16 on stage (SL 32R). It doesn't need a console for broadcasting/recording nor a monitor console on stage. It looks like you are thinking in old workflow schemes... ;-)

But yes, Dante would allow adding multiple consoles to a network. Just that the new PreSonus mixers don't speak Dante...
by jspring on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 pm
How many devices can be connected/AVB switches?

AVB covers things beyond just Presonus products, so the answer to this depends on a number of factors, and becomes a very technical AVB question. This is a pretty good resource:

https://avb.statusbar.com/page/faq/

Can two consoles be used instead of a rack mount mixer or using all three together?

No, not currently in this phase, but yes, eventually you will be able to freely route audio both between Series III Mixers and with other AVDECC compliant AVB devices. Part of the requirement for this is AVDECC controller software to do the routing. Look for that in Q2 of 2018 I believe (but don't quote me, as things are always subject to change).

How many channels can we have available to choice from, understand you can only mixer 32 of them at any one time?

The Series III Consoles are fixed DSP, 32 channel mixers (38 if you count the stereo Aux Ins and Tape In)

The Series III Racks are fixed DSP, 32 channel mixers (or 16 channel in the case of the 16R)

Stagebox modes and AVB capabilities do not add additional channels to mix with. They simply allow the remote location of I/O, and the sharing of inputs and outputs.

When using a R mixer in stage box mode with one or more console, do each have there own separate gain control or is one by set by a master and the other desks have to deal with it.

Currently, gain is set on the local analog preamp, be it the preamp on the Rack or the Console, and that is the gain value for both, a single parameter.

You can control the preamp gain of the Rack channel from the Console channel when it's set to Network Input, or you can control it from the UC Surface software (or you can selectively allow or deny preamp gain control using stagebox modes and device permissions).

A gain sharing/compensation feature is planned for the future, allowing some amount of independent gain control between the FOH Console and the Rack mixer on stage.

The studiolive 32 has been billed as having 55 channels of AVB and from what I have read about AVB uses it newer version/ competitor with Dante.

Correct. There are 55 channels of AVB Sends and Returns, but that does not equal 55 mix channels.

AVB Sends/Returns 1-38 are currently fixed to Ch.1-32, stereo Aux In 1 and 2, and Tape In (39 and 40 are currently unusued except in Stagebox mode, for the Main Bus to the Rack outputs).

AVB Sends/Returns 41-56 are Flexible AVB Sends and Returns that can be assigned to your Output buses, so that you can both send an Output bus out on AVB, or return an AVB input directly to the Output Bus (set to Network Input).
by dennis g on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:39 pm
jspring wroteCan two consoles be used instead of a rack mount mixer or using all three together?

No, not currently in this phase, but yes, eventually you will be able to freely route audio both between Series III Mixers and with other AVDECC compliant AVB devices. Part of the requirement for this is AVDECC controller software to do the routing. Look for that in Q2 of 2018 I believe (but don't quote me, as things are always subject to change).

Can two SL32 Consoles connected to a AVB switch that also connected to a 32R as a stagebox, will that work or is it limited to just one Console at this time?
jspring wroteHow many channels can we have available to choice from, understand you can only mixer 32 of them at any one time?

Stagebox modes and AVB capabilities do not add additional channels to mix with. They simply allow the remote location of I/O, and the sharing of inputs and outputs.

Say I have 32 channels plugged into the 32R and 12 plugged into my SL32, Can I mix and match between them for different scenes for a total of 32 channels?
by matthewgorman on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:47 pm
Can two SL32 Consoles connected to a AVB switch that also connected to a 32R as a stagebox, will that work or is it limited to just one Console at this time?

Right now, 1 rack and one console is supported. That should change next year, but unfortunately right now its this year.

Say I have 32 channels plugged into the 32R and 12 plugged into my SL32, Can I mix and match between them for different scenes for a total of 32 channels?

That you can do. Each channel input on the console can source from network, analog, or usb. Using one of the stagebox modes should send the main mix out to the rack mixer if you have FOH speakers connected to that.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by bryanstone1 on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:34 pm
Ok. I’m not entirely sure if this problem is user error or not but I certainly could use some extra help.
I want to use the AVB network with my Mac running either Protools (11) or Studio One 3. Thus far, I’ve been able to pass audio back and forth on all the AVB channels from 1-32 on my SL32 series 3 board.

I want to be able to pass the main out L/R channels of the board using the AVB network (patched to AVB Output Channels 41-42) back into either PT or Studio One. So far, I’ve been unsuccessful sending any audio using the AVB Send/Return busses (41-56).

The AVB patching on the board looks correct (AVB41-Main L, AVB42-Main R). Both PT and Studio One are showing 56 available channels AVB network audio. The tracks are record enabled with Ch 41 and 42 showing as the input. However, no audio is passing like I would expect. Hmmmmm.... I don’t understand. I know that the AVB Send and Returns can be assigned as an Output buss but is there any issue that would prevent the Main L/R outputs from being bussed as an AVB output?
by dennis g on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am
So I finally ordered a 32R and I see that Presonus has a SW5E AVB switch out. My question is, do I need it or is it part of the ECO system that has yet to arrive?
by matthewgorman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:48 am
dennis g wroteSo I finally ordered a 32R and I see that Presonus has a SW5E AVB switch out. My question is, do I need it or is it part of the ECO system that has yet to arrive?

Both. How are you intending to use it, and we can probably get more specific.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by dennis g on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:44 pm
matthewgorman wrote
dennis g wroteSo I finally ordered a 32R and I see that Presonus has a SW5E AVB switch out. My question is, do I need it or is it part of the ECO system that has yet to arrive?

Both. How are you intending to use it, and we can probably get more specific.

As a stage box/moniter mixer and a easy portable mixer, but in the future I want to network multi-able mixers when that feature becomes available. I know i will need it then, but is it necessary at this point in the game.
by Karyn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:59 pm
If by "multi-able" you mean linking two mixers together... you can't and won't be able to. "They" have said so.

You would need a switch if you want to connect more than two devices together, e.g., SL32iii to a 32R (as stage box) AND to a computer (Mac) for recording, or a SL32 and 32R and one (or more) personal monitor mixers coming soon (TM).

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by dennis g on Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:20 pm
Karyn wroteIf by "multi-able" you mean linking two mixers together... you can't and won't be able to. "They" have said so.

You would need a switch if you want to connect more than two devices together, e.g., SL32iii to a 32R (as stage box) AND to a computer (Mac) for recording, or a SL32 and 32R and one (or more) personal monitor mixers coming soon (TM).

I am not talking cascading, I am talking multi-able desks getting the same inputs or being able to share input sources. It is part of being AVDECC compliant for AVB devices, I hope Presonus goes the whole way on this process, so the full potential of these mixers can be used.
by wahlerstudios on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm
According to the post of jspring of Sep 28, 2017 in this thread the free routing might be available in Q2 2018 (with all question marks in mind). What he did not say is how many mixers can be part of this system. Will it be three mixers, or even more?

You don't need an AVB switch when you use your 32R as "stand-alone" mixer. You need a router, and that's all. If you use your 32R as monitor mixer or stagebox, you will need the switch.

I think what you mean with "multi-able" should be called "multiple", which exactly is the not answered question: How many independent mixers can be part of the AVB II network? Will it be three - or more, or less?
by matthewgorman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm
If you are talking about one rack for stagebox connected to one console? No need for an avb switch for that setup. Direct connect the audio ports on both via ethernet.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 pm
dennis g wrote
Karyn wroteIf by "multi-able" you mean linking two mixers together... you can't and won't be able to. "They" have said so.

I am not talking cascading, I am talking multi-able desks getting the same inputs or being able to share input sources. It is part of being AVDECC compliant for AVB devices, I hope Presonus goes the whole way on this process, so the full potential of these mixers can be used.

ok, what you're describing is digital splitting, 32R as stage box feeding Mixer 1 at side stage for monitors, Mixer 2 at FOH for.. errr..FOH.. and Mixer 3 for live broadcast, etc... all getting the same 32 channels from the 32R.

As other have said, that is on the coming soon list. It'll be interesting to see how (or if) they deal with gain compensation. That is, when the mixer controlling the rack adjusts the pre-amp gain, the change in level will affect ALL other mixers. Gain compensation uses a separate "input trim" control on each mixer input channel so that when the controlling mixer adjusts the pre-amp gain, the input trim on all other mixers automatically dials the exact opposite change. this keeps the overall level the same for all mixers.

Does the series iii have input trim?

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.

18 posts
Page 1 of 1