19 posts
Page 1 of 1
My Church currently uses the studio live 24.4.2 with studioone 3 to run plugins. I have been able to us Steven Slate Trigger to add a kick and Snare sample. When Blended the results are amazing! With that being said our current board has started acting up and we are in need of a replacement so we have preordered the Studiolive 32 III. I am concerned that Latency may become an issue. Will we be able to utilize Studioone with plugins with either option USB 2.0 or AVB and not experiance additional latency? Or How Much latency may this add? We are using a Mac Mini I7 16GB ram.

Thanks, Lance
by matthewgorman on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 am
Lance, nothing has been reported on this front yet as the mixer has not yet hit the street.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by stingray1122 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:53 am
Hi Lance,

Currently, we're seeing 7.5ms of latency at 32 sample buffers on USB. I don't have measurements for AVB yet.

RayT
Sr Product Manager
PreSonus
by Lance Horsley on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:20 pm
Thank you!
by vino24by7 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:24 pm
I don't think you would have that problem if it had the firewire ports included. I have never heard of a usb port not having latency issues. Known fact -Firewire has been solid for years but the demand for a usb connection is high because they don't build PC's with that port anymore. Real Producers and sound people need them. How can you create the perfect board without firewire or card option??? You want high sells give all the options, you have people waiting...You guys create so many boards but leave out the most valuable options.We know you created your boards for live sound but the Daw producers get shafted all the time. fader port 8 sweet but we want a full board that has the ports -faders and options. well you guys know all of this but the bottom line is do you care.No one has created a great board with us in mind! If the would we wouldn't have to ask for features that you took away you enjoy your product. Our home studios are Gold to us but buying a firewire analog board and a daw controller is a bit much. You got in this game to make a change for the better but home studios get shafted.We can't spend our money on a great board if you don't create one for us. we shouldn't have to move to pro tools to get a old school great board to work because everyone keeps dropping the ball. You guys are great and i love everything that you have created for the other guys a usb 8 fader port? Gee thanks
by alancloughley on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:19 pm
stingray1122 wroteHi Lance,

Currently, we're seeing 7.5ms of latency at 32 sample buffers on USB. I don't have measurements for AVB yet.

Hi Ray, I'm also interested in the Studiolive 32 as a front end for Studio One now DAW mode is in beta.

Is the 7.5ms latency mentioned full round trip and at what frequency?

I'm not too worried about tracking with native plugins as this is a mixer and the new fat channel sounds great.

Do you have a figure for latency for VST instruments though? What's kind of output latency(not round trip) could I expect for the built in USB interface running on PC (I've a new 6 core i7 with Samsung Evo960 NVME drives and 16Gb RAM running Windows 10 and generally use 48KHz for most projects.)

Also is AVB any better and if so has Presonus tested compatibility with the Echo NIC AVB card(I think this is pretty well the only PC AVB card on the market!) with this yet?

Thanks, Alan

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3 / 4.5.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-8700K overclocked, Onboard + nVidia GT 710. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2 S61, Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Kawai VPC1, Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III, Softube Console 1
by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 pm
alancloughley wrote

Hi Ray, I'm also interested in the Studiolive 32 as a front end for Studio One now DAW mode is in beta.

I'm not too worried about tracking with native plugins as this is a mixer and the new fat channel sounds great.

Do you have a figure for latency for VST instruments though? What's kind of output latency(not round trip) could I expect for the built in USB interface running on PC (I've a new 6 core i7 with Samsung Evo960 NVME drives and 16Gb RAM running Windows 10 and generally use 48KHz for most projects.)

Also is AVB any better and if so has Presonus tested compatibility with the Echo NIC AVB card(I think this is pretty well the only PC AVB card on the market!) with this yet?

Thanks, Alan

Hi Alan. I will have to come back with a confirmation later when I get home, but Ray's post is a little older, and there have been some driver updates since then. Going from memory, I am getting laower latency than Ray was reporting, close to 5ms rtl through USB. All latency numbers for the series 3 are at 48.0 sample rate, since that is currently the only option currently. Not sure of the Echo option, but I think AVB latency on a mac is closer to 10-11ms.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by jpettit on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:53 pm
A very impressive 5.33ms RTL in green Z LLM mode @ 32 buffers.
4.67ms at 16 buffers.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by alancloughley on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:05 pm
matthewgorman wrote
alancloughley wrote

Thanks, Alan

Hi Alan. I will have to come back with a confirmation later when I get home, but Ray's post is a little older, and there have been some driver updates since then. Going from memory, I am getting laower latency than Ray was reporting, close to 5ms rtl through USB. All latency numbers for the series 3 are at 48.0 sample rate, since that is currently the only option currently. Not sure of the Echo option, but I think AVB latency on a mac is closer to 10-11ms.

Awesome, thanks for the response :) 5ms rtl sounds pretty good I'd assume a ms or so off for output latency of VST instruments maybe? Are you on Mac or PC? If you have a second to confirm VST latency in S1 that would really help me decide whether to pick one of these up for the studio. Thanks for the info on AVB too much appreciated. Sounds like it should all be more than playable at that. Have you tried out DAW mode with Studio one and if so what's first impressions of that and using the mixer with S1 generally? Thanks Again really helps getting some feedback from someone who is using one of these things with S1.

Win10x64 (Eng), Studio One 3 / 4.5.1, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel i7-8700K overclocked, Onboard + nVidia GT 710. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol MK2 S61, Native Instruments Maschine MK3, Maschine Jam, Kawai VPC1, Presonus StudioLive 32 Series III, Softube Console 1
by alancloughley on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:36 pm
jpettit wroteA very impressive 5.33ms RTL in green Z LLM mode @ 32 buffers.
4.67ms at 16 buffers.

Hi, thanks loads for looking that up, good to see someone else getting pretty useable latency. Are you on Mac or PC? If you've got a second to look up the reported VST instrument latency in S1 that would be great. Are you happy with it in a studio recording setting and have you tried out the new S1 DAW mode yet?

Might make a trip to the music shop tomorrow and pick one of these up!

Thanks again, Alan

by matthewgorman on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:49 pm
Confirming that my RTL numbers are the same as Jeff, although I use no Low Latency Monitoring, but dropout protection set to max.

On windows desktop in my sig.

Yes, have been using daw mode. For me personally, daw mode is worth the price on its own. I have the 32 channel console Its the closest to working in anal;og that I have personally used. I don't do much with midi, so I am probably not the best person to ask for RTL of VST Instruments. Sorry.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by alancloughley on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 pm
matthewgorman wroteConfirming that my RTL numbers are the same as Jeff, although I use no Low Latency Monitoring, but dropout protection set to max.

On windows desktop in my sig.

Yes, have been using daw mode. For me personally, daw mode is worth the price on its own. I have the 32 channel console Its the closest to working in anal;og that I have personally used. I don't do much with midi, so I am probably not the best person to ask for RTL of VST Instruments. Sorry.

No problem, apologies I should have checked the signatures! I'm pretty sure VST instrument latency will be slightly better as it's not round trip(in and out) just output latency. Thanks for the info and recommendation :)

by jpettit on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:29 pm
alancloughley wrote
4.67ms at 16 buffers.

Hi, thanks loads for looking that up, good to see someone else getting pretty useable latency. Are you on Mac or PC? If you've got a second to look up the reported VST instrument latency in S1 that would be great. Are you happy with it in a studio recording setting and have you tried out the new S1 DAW mode yet?

Thanks again, Alan

Instrument with Green Z
4.5 @ 16
4.83 @ 32
Don't know why I just installed another mixer for testing and am getting slightly lower numbers

Very good for virtual instruments.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by alancloughley on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm
jpettit wrote
alancloughley wrote
4.67ms at 16 buffers.

Thanks again, Alan

Instrument with Green Z
4.5 @ 16
4.83 @ 32
Don't know why I just installed another mixer for testing and am getting slightly lower numbers

Much appreciated, sounds pretty useable to me! Thanks, Alan :)

by Tele on Tue May 01, 2018 12:03 pm
I just taken ownership of a StudioLive 32 & in the real world cannot achieve playback without distortion below 256 samples via a USB 2.0 connection.

My USB 2.0 connection is through a brand new USB 3.0 (PCIe card) in my Win 7 PC with 16GB Ram & 12mb Cache on the CPU (processor) . If I select 128 Samples (buffer size) & playback ONE AUDIO TRACK with Studio One 3.5 or Sonar the track is distorted. My reported round trip latency @ 256 is 18.3 ms (880 Samples) which is not do-able for recordings to be in sync.

Although the StudioLive 32 splash screen that loads the drivers for the mixer has a dropdown list that shows the mixer can be set to 16 Samples there's no way that any of these settings work on my system. If I'm doing something wrong or overlooking a setting then I would appreciate some help from anyone who can provide a solution.

I have recently replaced a PCIe (audio card with 32 channels) that I had set @ 64 samples (buffer size) and everything worked flawlessly for close to 8 years. I thought it would be nice to have a DAW controller with motorized faders & that prompted me to purchase a Presonus StudioLive 32 but now I'm not so sure that was the right choice.

I do hope someone can shine a light on this issue for me because I don't want to be a technician but rather a music producer/musician. Reported latency & actual working numbers are two different things & as users we don't simply load one wave or mp3 file to test the outcome of our settings rather, there may be 7 VI's, 15 plugin's along with 12 + additional audio tracks that would resemble the scenario more closely & then take the test to see if that is still workable within the specified buffer setting?
by matthewgorman on Tue May 01, 2018 12:23 pm
Check out a freeware program "latencymon". Run that for a while (30 min or so) and you should get a report of where the possible hangups are on your system, and will tell you of tweaks you can make to improve performance.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by SwitchBack on Tue May 01, 2018 12:36 pm
Also note that the mixer will always send 40 channels of 24 bit WAV data @ 48 kHz, no matter if you use only one or all 40 channels. That’s 46 Mbits/s your port must be able to handle.
by patm300e on Wed May 02, 2018 6:09 am
Tele, try using a USB 2.0 port. Sometimes in making a USB 3.0 port backwards compatible, there may be issues.

Studio One 6.5 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by guyolsson on Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:35 pm
Use a USB 2.0 port? What if your computer does not have one? Brand new machine, 2.0 is not available anymore. Why not just fix the mixer? You have thunderbolt on a quantum 2626, why not just use that or USB-C on the board. You are building a new product with obsolete technology. Seems pretty dumb. I ordered a 32SC because the claims by tech support that a mixer is a zero latency interface only to find out this thing is a dinosaur and totally useless for recording. Now I am stuck with an unusable interface and a program that crashes if I try and record for more than 40 minutes.

19 posts
Page 1 of 1