6 posts
Page 1 of 1
A Series III user from Israel has just published a documentation about how he was able to create DAW Mode for Cubase on a SL 32SC. The document contains four pages.

Attachments
SL32SC DAW MODE CUBASE.pdf
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 463 times
Cubase_DAW_Mode.jpg

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.1.2 & Pro 3.5.6
by Shimibe on Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:31 am
Hi,

I made the document.
Feel free to post your questions here :)

Shimi
by jeremythornton on Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:44 pm
I recently stumbled across this and I really have to thank you!
I do have a few questions of course. One at first and I'm sure more will come.
The first being, how do I do this?
For example, is page 1 an actual screen, like what i can pull up on my Series 3 mixer?
I'd really like to be able to do my Cubase mixes on my mixer as opposed to the one in Cubase. I do realize that it may not be possible but if it is, It's how I'd like to do it. I just feel more comfortable mixing with faders than a mouse. Old school style. I'm a home hobbyist but I have done a fair bit of recording over the years in studios the old way, onto tape. Of course now I record to my computer but If I could actually use my mixer, that would be amazing!
I think what you have done here is pretty amazing to, I'd just really like to know how exactly to implement it.
All thank always in advance!

Jeremykeys
by wahlerstudios on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:21 am
As your are new to StudioLive mixers and "DAW Mode" it probably will be difficult to make things work. What you need to know is that there is no DAW Mode for Cubase, like there is for Studio One, Logic and ProTools. Shimi Ben from Israel, the author of the document, has been using MCU (Mackie) control protocol and Midi over Ethernet in order to see how Cubase responds. I can imagine that using the MCU protocol will switch the StudioLive mixer to being a Cubase controller and allow the use of the physcial faders.

There are manuals available for each of the three versions of DAW Mode, which might be helpful to set things up. Important is that mixer and computer running Cubase are connected to the same network, because UCNET uses Ethernet. Nevertheless, audio is strictly USB and the default setting for "Tape In/Digital Return" of StudioLive mixers is USB 37+38.

Check the "Using Your StudioLive Mixer as an Audio Interface with Universal Control Reference Manual" for details how to use the StudioLive mixer as audio interface for Cubase.

You can find the manuals n the download page of your mixer. The DAW Mode manuals are:

-> StudioLive Series III Studio One DAW Control Addendum
-> StudioLive Series III StudioLive Series III MCU Emulation for Logic DAW Control Addendum
-> StudioLive Series III StudioLive Series III HUI Emulation for ProTools DAW Control Addendum

SL16 | 32R | 16R | 3* 16M | SW5E

Apple routers | iPads | Alesis iO Docks | Yamaha S112, S15e, S10e, SM10 | LD Systems Curv 500 | Galaxy Audio Hot Spots | Mac mini | Lenovo Laptop | Studio One Artist 5.1.2 & Pro 3.5.6
by jeremythornton on Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:32 am
Thank you! I can use the SL32sc as my input interface and I do get playback through channels 37 and 38.
What I'm trying to do is to have all my Cubase tracks assigned to a channel on the mixer. Even if I can only get my groups up that would be at least something. I'm sure that eventually I'll find a way to get it to work. Well, I hope so at least.

Thanks again!
by Shimibe on Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:27 pm
Sorry guys, I didn't get any notifications from the forum.
Yes, I'm using MCU protocol, to connect the desk to Cubase.
For the connection, I'm using an ethernet cable for a direct link between the mixer and the PC. You can use of course other methods of connection as long as the desk and PC are on the same network.

I'm working this way for some time now, and I find it very useful to control:
1. Channels leveling
2. FX Sends
3. Pan automation (with the faders)
4. Mute \ Solo
5. User functions (which I set for myself, like disabling tracks, hiding tracks, etc...)

I hope that the next firmwares will add additional functionalities and stability. I know that scrubbing was possible before and now it doesn't...

6 posts
Page 1 of 1