16 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings,

After receiving a 32SX yesterday 12-22-21, the Headphone volume (output has no sound). I've tried two different headphones that are fine otherwise. There is no volume switch on the headphones.
1)One XLR mic is plugged into Channel 1
2)Output activity can be seen in the Channel 1, Fat Channel and also Master (about -24Db) when speaking into the mic.
3)Phones volume knob is on 75%
4)No Mute switches are on
5)there are No Monitors connected, only USB and CAT 6 cables and 1 XLR in MIC input 1 / analog (enabled)
6)Fat Channel is on Main with +48V
7)Channel 1 is on Select
8) Channel 1 is on "U" as is Master volume "U"
9)AGC is up where I am receiving about -12dB on the Mic
10)Channel 1 is assigned to MAIN
11)Board is on Analog (not SD or USB or Network)
12)latest firmware installed
13)factory reset has been performed

With all of this, no headphone volume whatsoever
Any other thoughts would be great. Merely just trying to hear the input from the 1 Mic on Channel in the Headphones

Thank you
Rev
by wahlerstudios on Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:02 pm
Press the "Edit" button of the "Monitors" section (below SD Card slot), then this screen will show up. You need "Main" as source for your headphone output. The encoder "Phones" controls the volume.

-> StudioLive Series III Owner’s Manual, section 10 Monitoring Controls

Attachments
monitoredit.jpg
by antg1 on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:59 pm
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, in Monitor | Edit on the 32SX this was set to Phones | Main not solo or tape as well as the matching Universal Control (see attachment)

Screenshot (177).png
by SwitchBack on Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:00 am
Try with the Solo Settings set to Control Room (CR). That gives a more familiar behavior of the headphone output an solo buttons.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:39 am
Then I think that the mixer should be returned to the shop. If you want to take the risk to open the mixer, check disconnected cables inside the mixer. Otherwise: send it back.

You could still check if "Monitor Out" works and you can also check if you hear something when your headphones are plugged into Mix Out 7 (TRS). There will be signal on one side of the headphones only, but it's a good test to hear if there is output. The faders of channel 1 in Aux 7 and Aux 7 Master/Send must be raised, of course.
by antg1 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:18 pm
Thanks Switchback - gave that a try and no success - all of the Input activity works fine just no output on the headphones.

Wahler - was thinking the same on the Monitor Out though my only option there is with a PA Yamaha Power Amp. I guess I can run the Main Mixer L|R Out into Ch1 and Ch2 (XLR) on the PA head. On the 32SX I don't see a Mix Out 7 TRS.

I did locate (All TRS 1/4") Monitor Outs (2 L/R), Sub Outs (4 A,B,C,D) and Mixer Output 13,14,15,16. Might you re-prescribe your idea on the Mix Out 7?
Fairly new to the board only two days ago received..sorry for any lack of knowledge - thanks much... and agree this likely has to be sent back..was thinking perhaps there's a fuse? it was also transport by Fedex via truck cross country and took almost two weeks. Likely got mishandled. though there's no QA sticker that I can find.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:47 pm
The mix outputs have enough power to drive headphones, so sending a signal to the TRS outputs can help to check that a signal arrives there. I was thinking of a 32SC. Your 32SX obviously has outputs 13-16 as TRS outputs while 1-12 are XLR outputs. It's just an easy and fast way to find our if signals are arriving somewhere.

There have been reports about not obvious damages caused by transportation, that's why I recommend to NOT register the mixer and open a Support Ticket but return the mixer to the shop immediately.
by antg1 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:42 pm
update 12-24-21
All levels are at "U". The console is set to: Mix 1, Mix / FX Master is enabled and illuminated, headphone TRS jack is in #13, the Mic Input #1 shows strong input signal once again in Ch.1, Fat Channel, LCD and also Mains. Aux 1 fader is also on "U', Monitor edit is on Monitor + Mix one. Assuming I have this set correctly, no volume is heard from #13. Open to any thoughts or perhaps options I've overlooked.

I've already registered the unit but it's simple to deregister. This was shipped directly to us via our reseller account with PreSonus. I've also created a Support ticket on 12-22 and received several support responses for one hour from 4-5pm CST, until they closed at 5pm CST until 12-27. I've also notified the rep who shipped the product box was slightly damaged. In speaking with their hardware reseller rep, they do not have any in stock (waited 5 months), this would have to go back as a repair if its confirmed non functional..thank you for all your kind assistance.
PS If you would like additional images of the board please advise. I did notice a an option under Diagnostics within Universal Control | Settings to do a Take Mixer Screenshot though no local path is outlined where the screen shot is saved.
by SwitchBack on Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:09 pm
Since you have it registered already there's a few other things you can try:

1. Hold the FX button while you power up the mixer. This clears out all user settings. Then set Solo Settings to CR, connect something to make the main meters move and it should be on the headphone output too.

2. If that doesn't help then power off, hold the Home button and power up again. This clears out all user settings and resets the mixer's firmware to the version it had when it left the factory. Again set Solo Settings to CR, connect something to make the main meters move and it should be on the headphone output too.

3. Connect the mixer's control port to you home network (disconnect usb) and perform a firmware update. Note that this way of updating the mixer is way quicker than an update via usb. Quick is good :)
by antg1 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:28 pm
Step 1 completed reset everything with FX/ Power button. Found Settings | Solo then CR enabled in UC, Phones volume on 75%. All the input meters show activity in all 3 areas: Ch.1, Fat Channel and Main LED's though no headphone sound.

Step 2 - this may work however with the new UC (ver 3.6.1.18415) installed as soon as it's connected with CAT 6 and/or USB, you are forced to upgrade the firmware. My point here is I don't believe to the best of my recollection I can get out of that prompt unless I disconnect both of these cables. At some point, they will have to be connected thus the inevitable back to the latest firmware and perhaps back to square one. Open to ideas.

Step 3 accomplished in fact I had inputted a Static Ip (reserved) vs. DHCP, Subnet Mask and Gateway (manually), all successful. Firmware updated nicely and was quick. I double checked and prompt shows latest is already installed. Got all the Fat Channel Bundle install to PC and Mixer as well.
Sides Notes: I did find Network MIDI deselected but unsure of its use. Should I make any changes in WDM Setup? Currently have Inputs for Tape In to 37/38 for both In and Out (USB use), the other WDM are default settings.
Side question: Many songs I've created in Studio One are at 96k x 24bit, each time I use WDM (vs. built in HQ sound card) I get an prompt the max is 48K. Strange how this mixer doesn't offer 96k. No ASIO drivers were installed or that I can find. ASIO4ALL crashes Studio One as confirmed by my diagnostics report to PreSonus support....thanks much for the continued assistance.
by SwitchBack on Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:05 am
Then I'm afraid we arrived at the point where it must be a hardware problem, because we excluded all other possible reasons for not getting sound out of the board. It can be something silly like a loose connector inside. But opening the mixer will void your warranty, so back to the dealer or a service ticket are your options now. :(

As for sample rate and drivers: The mixer's hardware only offers 44.1 and 48kHz sample rate. You can still work at 96kHz in S1 but output DA conversion will be 48kHz max. Perfectly fine as human ears can't pick the difference between audio output at 48kHz sample vs. higher sample rates anyway.

Installing UC also installs the drivers for the mixer. There's no need for, and actually it's better to completely avoid using WDM as it's known to alter the sound quality. Simply install UC, connect the mixer, and select it as your audio interface from S1. The WDM settings have no effect when using the mixer this way.
by wahlerstudios on Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:37 am
As I said, send the mixer back to the shop. ;-) PreSonus Support will not tell you anyhing different. This has to do with warranty in general. The mixer's problem probably is a loose cable connection, but to fix this under warranty, the shop (not you!) has to send the mixer to the repair center of your region. In Europe the mixer would need to be sent to Ireland...

Do not touch WDM settings now. You will need them only for livestreams and similar tasks. More important is "Interface Mode" and "DAW Mode". Network MIDI is also not relevant. That's what UCNET is using for control communication between hardware and software. It has nothing to do with MIDI used for musical instruments.
by antg1 on Sat Dec 25, 2021 5:40 pm
Switchback and Wahler.. thanks for all of your dedication and education.
Confirmed on not using WDM then, no Network MIDI as well and your other pointers. I'll not be be doing Live streaming. Strictly in house Studio recording, no live stage as well. Usage is merely to grab stems from others, load in Studio One, overdub acoustic drums with playback from Studio One via a USB return and upload combined stems to cloud for band mates out of state or record a few local friends live in our home. I got this mixer as it had the best options for miking a large drum kit. Had the AR12 previously and exhausted all inputs plus its inferior.

The mixer is going back and Wahler you are right, I was told by reseller support there are none in inventory for an RMA and this would have to be repaired just as you claim.
Wahler, I recall your pointing out others had issues with transportation. if you know of public links and care to share I'd be most interested in reading up.
Cheers
by wahlerstudios on Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:45 pm
I got my information from several posts in two non-public PreSonus Facebook groups and as you mentioned FedEx, you're on the right path... But as I am living in Europe I don't think I should say anything about companies in the USA. We have other names (and similar problems)...

You should have a look at Capture, the free recording software from PreSonus. Getting Studio One involved in recordings can easily make things too complicated. Capture is straight forward and easy to handle. It seems that Capture is made for the mixer, while Studio One is always looking for an audio interface...
by antg1 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:46 pm
To WahlerStudios and all others that have assisted. After some further playing around with this 32SX over the past few weeks I was able to get the Headphone jack to work.
Today I tried this:
Here are my steps: in Studio One, I opened an empty track & set the bit rate to 16bit x 48k to match the Studio III 32SX. I then went into the Audio I/O of S1 and set channels 37/38 to both Input and Output. On the 32SX, chose Next to the Channel selection until 25-32 were visible and the 4 FX were raised to 0db + the Tape In to 0db as the default settings. I then set the Windows Sound card to Studio WDM 1/2. I added 1 WAV file to the Empty track. I hit play in Studio One 5.5 on this lone Stereo track and noted the LED's on the 32SX working. I then plugged my Sennheiser 1/4" headphone jack into the 32SX and had sound via the Headphones.
Next I attempted to try Capture software as Wahler suggested previously. I chose the Studio Series III as the Audio device and a New Session created. The board is now set to Analog. I go to Edit and change from Tape to Main with Phones selected I now see movement in Capture via CH 1 microphone with LED's while in DAW mode.
I am wondering if the LCD might have been problematic and not triggering initially the correct feature in Monitor Edit. Currently, this all seems to be resolved.
Thank you.
Rev
by SwitchBack on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:05 am
Great that you got it working :thumbup: Now that you have a starting point you can work on getting to know your mixer better.

Two remarks I'd like to add here:
- The series III mixers all have a 24-bit 44.1/48kHz interface, and internal processing is 32-bit FP
- When working with Studio One and Capture you better not use WDM

Enjoy your mixer :)

16 posts
Page 1 of 1