7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Don't have the board in front of me yet to play with this, so I figured I'd ask.

Wanting to know if this is possible (I would think yes). If I link 2 auxes (say 1 and 2) together for our drummer's IEM mix, am I able to then pan the channels around in his IEM mix SEPARATELY from the main FOH mix (and without affecting any other Aux mix)?
by SwitchBack on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:50 am
Yes, for mono inputs. For stereo inputs with linked panning you get to set the width.
by craigbarfield on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:21 am
Perfect, thanks!
by wahlerstudios on Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:47 pm
Why not do it the conventional way? Swap the inputs and pan identically. This is less confusing and left has always been right... ;-)

When I connect a stereo mix to an IEM or mixer on stage, I connect my "left" output/signal with input "right" and output "right" with input "left". This is also possible via AVB. Simply route AVB 1 to AVB 2 and AVB 2 to AVB 1.

It's not only drummers who need this general change of sides. All musicians and singers want to hear like they "see" on stage, so give them what they need. The general change of left and right inputs also helps in the communication between stage and FOH, because left is left and right is right...
by craigbarfield on Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 pm
wahlerstudios wroteWhy not do it the conventional way? Swap the inputs and pan identically. This is less confusing and left has always been right... ;-)

When I connect a stereo mix to an IEM or mixer on stage, I connect my "left" output/signal with input "right" and output "right" with input "left". This is also possible via AVB. Simply route AVB 1 to AVB 2 and AVB 2 to AVB 1.

It's not only drummers who need this general change of sides. All musicians and singers want to hear like they "see" on stage, so give them what they need. The general change of left and right inputs also helps in the communication between stage and FOH, because left is left and right is right...

I understand what you are saying, and that makes sense for sure! I was simply asking if it was even possible to pan things around in the drummers IEM mix at all (if using 2 auxes linked together). I wasn't sure if the SLIII 24 could even do this. Sounds like it does!

In previous (all analog) setups, we carried a few analog EQ racks with us to do an overall EQ on the aux mix that went to our floor wedges and drummer's IEM mix. I assume that when I'm dealing with the SLIII, I can use the FAT channel to do an overall EQ on each aux mix (be it the IEM stereo mix, or the mono floor wedges), correct? If yes, this is going to be great. This sheds a lot of outboard gear from our setup. (I haven't even mentioned all the outboard reverbs and gates we used, lol).

I know I'm super late to this "digital" party, so this sounds silly to most of you, but better late than never I suppose! Haha!
by wahlerstudios on Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:02 pm
You will be surprised how many and I really mean how many options there are more than there ever were in the analog word. All Series III 32-channel mixers have 16 flex mixes, which means that they can be used either as aux mix, subgroup or matrix mix, in mono or stereo in any combination and order you can think of. The flex mix outputs have full Fat Channel sound processing, but the PEQ is 6-band instead of 4-band. Not to forget the eight 31-band GEQs which you can assign as neede. And there is RTA available on all input and output channels...

And there is even more. You have a full 64x64 AVB matrix, which allows to not only route input channels (mono or stereo) to the personal mixers (EarMix 16M), but also flex mixes (aux, subgroup, matrix). And when you add a rack mixer, there are additonal options.

Sending effects to flex mixes is very easy, because each single flex mix has four stereo effect returns (A-D). Effect sends can be postfade (default) or prefade, so the faders do not necessarily need follow the Main mix. There is no effect send for flex mixes, just the four effect returns, so the solution is to dedicate one or two effect slots to monitors or IEMs. The effect sends are mono, the returns stereo.

Sending effects to personal mixers (EarMix) needs a stereo bus of the SL mixer. Typically you would use the "fixed" subgroups C+D for this task and add all functional sound events to this bus (tracks, click, talkback, etc.). Channel 15+16 (linked) of the EarMix are used for this effect and functional mix.

Yes, it's a new and different world. It's fun to discover all the new options. I also come the analog world, but I would never go back simply because the workflow(s) in the digital world are so much better. And everything sounds really nice. USB and SD Card recordings are simply superb.
by craigbarfield on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:41 pm
wahlerstudios wroteYou will be surprised how many and I really mean how many options there are more than there ever were in the analog word. All Series III 32-channel mixers have 16 flex mixes, which means that they can be used either as aux mix, subgroup or matrix mix, in mono or stereo in any combination and order you can think of. The flex mix outputs have full Fat Channel sound processing, but the PEQ is 6-band instead of 4-band. Not to forget the eight 31-band GEQs which you can assign as neede. And there is RTA available on all input and output channels...

And there is even more. You have a full 64x64 AVB matrix, which allows to not only route input channels (mono or stereo) to the personal mixers (EarMix 16M), but also flex mixes (aux, subgroup, matrix). And when you add a rack mixer, there are additonal options.

Sending effects to flex mixes is very easy, because each single flex mix has four stereo effect returns (A-D). Effect sends can be postfade (default) or prefade, so the faders do not necessarily need follow the Main mix. There is no effect send for flex mixes, just the four effect returns, so the solution is to dedicate one or two effect slots to monitors or IEMs. The effect sends are mono, the returns stereo.

Sending effects to personal mixers (EarMix) needs a stereo bus of the SL mixer. Typically you would use the "fixed" subgroups C+D for this task and add all functional sound events to this bus (tracks, click, talkback, etc.). Channel 15+16 (linked) of the EarMix are used for this effect and functional mix.

Yes, it's a new and different world. It's fun to discover all the new options. I also come the analog world, but I would never go back simply because the workflow(s) in the digital world are so much better. And everything sounds really nice. USB and SD Card recordings are simply superb.

Man, can't thank you enough for the insight. My short time on this forum, you guys (especially you) have been super helpful. Can't wait to dive into this! Thanks again!

7 posts
Page 1 of 1