I replaced my tried and true RM16AI with a 24R. The 24R is so much better in every way, except for the following, which is probably my lack of understanding...
1. When I use Capture from my Computer now, I no longer have a 2 Track Master output track.
2. When I open my Capture session in Studio One 4.1.1, my effects buses do not seem to be saved.
Between both of these issues, I don't have a 2 track master which sounds exactly like the session we heard live.
Enlighten me please!
1) You have to route Main L and Main R to USB channels 37 and 38 (Mains Settings -> Send -> USB). Here you can also choose the Digital Send Options (Pre/Post processing). The manual says "the last two sends", which would be 39 and 40, but I see signals in Capture when I use USB 37 and 38. Capture automatically adds the stereo track 33/34, but you need to select the rescources feeding the tracks.
2) Capture stores a scene which can be loaded in Studio One. For best results the Fat Channels of consoles/rack mixers and Studio One should be equipped with identical plug-ins. Remember that plug-ins must be installed separate for mixers and Studio One.
3) This is no wonder because in a live session you hear more than just the recorded sound events. The room also affects what you hear. Live and recording are totally separated worlds. IMHO recording track masters or Mains makes no sense. It's better to handle recording and mixing separate. Mixes in Studio One are anyway totally different to mixes on physical mixers.
Hope this helps.
Thanks so much for your response!
1. I did not realize 33/34 were assignable to Capture. Perfect! Now I can provide quick raw mixes at the end of each session.
2. I have the FatChannel collection already in my Studio One and that works. What I don't have are the settings of my FX busses from UC in my StudioOne when I open my Capture file. Settings from my FX busses used to work from my RM16AI captures.
3. I should have mentioned, we were in headphones or IEM for many of my sessions - so we all were listening to a mix from the 24R.
I remember having seen settings of FX sends in Studio One after loading a Capture scene, but you needed to "tell" Studio One what to do with it. RM and Studio One never had the same effects... This has not changed with the Series III, so the only corresponding elements are those of the Fat Channel (which is a plug-in in Studio One...). If Studio One can not identify the Fat Channel plug-ins used, this may be a bug and worth reporting.
Unfortunately your 24R does not have the magic DAW button. Using Capture for more studio type of projects is not really it. The DAW mode of the Series III consoles (and the legendary CS18AI...) allow you to work in both worlds simultaneously. Use the effects of Studio One and do all recordings there, while you listen to cue mixes of Studio One or monitor mixes of the console.
The "StudioLive_Series_III_Studio_One_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_V2_07062018.pdf" explains things quite well. You find the file on the download page (http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio ... /downloads).
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests