8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am new to the series three, but have had the 32 AI for a few years now. Studio one for about 8.
After the last firmware update to the board, 1/3 of the times I turn the unit on the faders snaps to zero, but that's all. Nothing turns on. Fix is to turn it off, and on again. Most of the time that fixes it, but two times, I had to repeat this twice. Anyone else seeing this?

Other issue is, I just don't think the sound is good when recording. These are strong accusations, I know, but there were a distinct drop in the quality right out of the box. A little back ground. Prior to this board I used Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 with firewire, as hardware, capturing with studio one2.
Good cables, and a pair of Shure KSM44's. Focusrite twin track pro preamp. As soon as I bought the series 3, I noticed that the series 3 did not sound as clear and crisp as the old system. I have tried other mikes as lord have it, I have plenty. KSM 27,s..... 109's... etc. Different cables..... Plugging direct into the series 3 preamps ( several of the inputs) but there was no noticeable difference from using the twin track pro in to the series 3 channel 17/18 bypassing its preamps.

I am a bit surprised by this. You can hear the "degraded" sound through a set of earphones, or after the recording. Originally I though it was a USB thing, but I suspect that it is not as the headphones yields the same results.
I have looked at any setting on the series 3 known to man, or at least to me, :) and are stumped here.

Anyone else seeing this?
Last edited by ebrabaek on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
by Trucky on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:58 pm
No power problems and audio quality is great (clean) for me on my Series III 32

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by matthewgorman on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am
May be a good idea to open a support ticket for the power up issue.

I moved from the RM16 to the Series 3, and IMHO, there was a very noticeable sonic upgrade. Its probably going to come down to fat channel settings, or something similar. Best to start with a zeroed out board. Don't pick presets right away. If you are using presets from the AI mixer, that could very well be what you are hearing. The series 3 is a total rewrite on the processing side, and some of the fat channel effects do not translate as you would think.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by ebrabaek on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:33 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I am a sound snob, and tends to run signals as clean as I possible can. Very little coloring, except for a bit of reverb.
I will try to zero out the board, but it have been like this out of the box. I record primarily Flamenco guitar, and I just felt that I lost a bit of dynamics and brightness, or should I just say air.

If it misbehaves again with the on thing, I will open a ticket. In the past firmware's have sometimes created gremlins, and I like to give the OEM a chance to fix potential issues with another firmware update.

I will advise.
by PAE Seth on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:36 pm
There is no Liquid Gold 140 from Focusrite. It's called Liquid Saffire 56. At least have the correct names for your gear before making subjective claims. Secondly, these are two different types of products.

Series 3 is most definitely a step up from the Saffire 56 Audio Quality wise (which is almost 10 years old now). I've used the Saffire Series, and it sounds about as good as our FireStudio Projects (DICE I FW400 platforms).

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by matthewgorman on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:41 pm
If it misbehaves again with the on thing, I will open a ticket. In the past firmware's have sometimes created gremlins, and I like to give the OEM a chance to fix potential issues with another firmware update.

Come on back if you need further help, but I will say that sometimes the support tickets are what uncovers the need for a firmware fix.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by ebrabaek on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:42 am
PreSonus Seth wroteThere is no Liquid Gold 140 from Focusrite. It's called Liquid Saffire 56. At least have the correct names for your gear before making subjective claims. Secondly, these are two different types of products.

Series 3 is most definitely a step up from the Saffire 56 Audio Quality wise (which is almost 10 years old now). I've used the Saffire Series, and it sounds about as good as our FireStudio Projects (DICE I FW400 platforms).

Your correct, I should. Friendly you are... :)
The hardware refered to was a Saffire Pro 40, and the liquid reference was somewhere in the dropdown menu for the software for that unit.
by ebrabaek on Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:45 am
matthewgorman wrote

Come on back if you need further help, but I will say that sometimes the support tickets are what uncovers the need for a firmware fix.

I will get a suport ticket rolling, and post what the end result is.

8 posts
Page 1 of 1