6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Does anyone know what Gain Comp does and how it works.
Can only see this if I use Network from 32r. ch.

Firmware Beta.1.9

Attachments
Gain Comp.JPG
by matthewgorman on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 am
Gain comp is primarily for when the rack mixer/Stage box (used with a console) and preamp control stays with the rack. In this instance, the preamps are getting set for monitor levels, but more gain is needed upstream for FOH. You use the gain compensation for that.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by SwitchBack on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:34 am
Maybe the same in other words:
When an analog input is used in more than one mix then the level of that input in all those mixes changes when the preamp gain of that input is changed. The Series III eco system offers a trick to get around this problem.

Firstly it allows you to assign gain control over (the analog part of) an input to a single mixer channel in the system. Can be on the FOH mixer, can be on the monitor mixer…

Secondly (and preferably after the preamp’s gain is set ballpark right) it allows you to engage Gain Compensation on that mixer channel. This freezes the input’s gain to its second "GC" network stream. Other mixes can use this GC stream and locally trim it (15 or 20dB up/down) where any 'reasonable’ gain changes (15 or 20dB up/down) on the mixer channel ’in control' will not affect these levels. Pretty neat.
by PAE Seth on Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:31 pm
Yes, Gain Comp should be engaged after setting Primary input first.

You get a 15 dB +/- swing. After that the inputs share gain.

PC #1: Asus Prime Z690-P, i5-12600k 10-core (6+4), 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz, RTX 3060 12GB, ADATA XPG 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2 x 1TB WD Black HDD

PC #2: ASUS X299 Prime Deluxe II, i7-7820X 8c/16t, 16GB 2666 MHz DDR4, GTX 1060 3GB, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD (Win10 Pro), Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD (Win11 Pro), OWC Aura 512GB NVMe M.2, 2 x 1TB HDD

Mac: 2010 Mac Pro 6 core 3.33 GHz, 32GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD RX 5500 XT 8GB, Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 Card, Aquantia 10Gbps AVB card, Dual eSATA PCIe + Stardom 8xHDD Raid Tower
by daleclark1 on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:03 pm
Is there a way to activate this or "turn it on"? I have my 32r hooked up on stage and set in Monitor Mixer Mode and then a network cable running to my FOH console which is a SL32 and all the channels show up on the console but they are still labeled as preamp gain. Like said above, the gain is loud in the monitor mix channels on the 32r but the FOH console is really low but I can't figure out how to get the gain compensation to show up.
by wahlerstudios on Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:35 am
The rack mixers do not have the Gain Compensation feature of the NSB stageboxes, but Monitor Mixer Mode and Stand-alone Mode have two different options to handle gain settings. If Preamp Permission is set to the FOH mixer, the gain of the rack mixers will have a "20 dB +/- swing", which is labeled "Gain" in UC Surface. If Preamp Permission is set to "All", the rack mixer will use its own preamp gain (labeled "Pre" for "Preamp Gain"). The FOH mixer controls the basic settings in the Network tab, section "Stagebox Setup". Important is also to "Apply" AVB routing.

Attachments
SL16+32R_1.jpg

6 posts
Page 1 of 1