4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Are there any audio files with comparison of new (series III) and old (SL classic) xmax preamps? I know everybody says the new ones are better but i would like to hear it. Presonus guys can you make some preamp shootout please? I can't try series III without buying it and while i like all the posibilites of new board my main concern are preamps. Thnx.
by wahlerstudios on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:13 pm
I can't speak for Series III, but according to the description SL III and RM mixers use the same preamps. When I switched from my legacy SL boards to a SL AI board, I realized a remarkable improvement of the general sound and a much more effective sound processing. This continued with the RM mixers, but not that drastic any more. I am really happy with the preamps of the RM/RML mixers. Everything sounds amazingly good. Sound-wise there are worlds between the new mixers and the legacy boards.

I don't think anybody at PreSonus is interested in a shootout. They are still selling legacy boards (SL 16.0.2 and SL 16.0.2 USB), so this shootout does not make any sense...

:+1
by ivanmanjkas on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 am
Thanks for reply. I'm glad to hear that new ones are better.
I don't think it would be a bad move for Presonus to make preamp shootout. Only legacy consoles are 16.0.2 and they are cheaper than new series. Some buyers could be atracted to buy more expensive console (ai,rm or III) if preamps are important to them...
I have legacy 24.4.2 console and i don't think preamps are bad but if new ones are better that's just + for sales.
by matthewgorman on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:07 am
I originally started with a Firestudio Tube, which has the same pres as the legacy boards. I then moved to an RM, and there is a definite increase in clarity. I also have a Studio 192, which is roughly on par with the RM, but sounds a bit better from the D/A converters.

I think the Series 3 is better than all of them. The preamps are great, as are the converters. But what puts it over the top for me, is the improvements to the Fat Channel. The compressor and EQ options are really great, and very musical.

Hope that helps your decision. Between the better sound, digital stage boxes, and forthcoming DAW control, its a really fantastic rig. Good luck.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

4 posts
Page 1 of 1