FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
17 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have the Faderport 8.
I have the opportunity to get the Faderport One too. If I use both simultaneously can I tell the One to always control the master fader, or ideally the Listen Bus? Can I permanently remap the buttons so they do something different than the 8?

Thanks
by METALPLATED1 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:56 am
Not sure if you can always make one the master fader, but the big knob on the right is always the master fader when master mode is selected, so you could always keep the fader port 2018 in that mode if you wanted to .Yes you can program them to have different user keys for sure. I think that with the latest update cascading is officially supported as well so you might be able to do things like always have it a master fader in the future. check around on youtube for functional info, and there is a device tab in studio one that lets you link the two in a specific order as well, you might find what your looking for there.
by aduki on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:28 am
Thanks Metalplated1

The blue knob is what I'm trying to avoid using for the master fader and is the reason I would get the One. I have looked around on Youtube but I cannot find any examples of this setup..except Gregor! He has both in his studio, so maybe it is a useful setup.
by frank.crow on Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:42 pm
I have two F8’s grouped (like Gregor) and the Faderport 2018. My Faderport 2018 defaults to the Master Section. At first it confused me because my F8’s screens automatically reflect my mix scenes. Basically the first 8 tracks appear on F8 (1) the F8 (2) picks up the rest. But once I connected the Faderport 2018 the Master & Listen Bus appear on the very end of the F8 (2) screens.

Of course if I really wanted to I suppose I could use one of the F8’s to control the Master Section but the whole point for me was to have the Faderport 2018 closer to me for quick access to transport and menu navigation without having to reach across my desk for one of the F8’s.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by aduki on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:19 am
That's good to hear, thanks.
by METALPLATED1 on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:40 am
frank.crow wroteI have two F8’s grouped (like Gregor) and the Faderport 2018. My Faderport 2018 defaults to the Master Section. At first it confused me because my F8’s screens automatically reflect my mix scenes. Basically the first 8 tracks appear on F8 (1) the F8 (2) picks up the rest. But once I connected the Faderport 2018 the Master & Listen Bus appear on the very end of the F8 (2) screens.

Of course if I really wanted to I suppose I could use one of the F8’s to control the Master Section but the whole point for me was to have the Faderport 2018 closer to me for quick access to transport and menu navigation without having to reach across my desk for one of the F8’s.

To be clear, are you saying that a Fader Port 2018 hooked up with an 8 or 16 will always show the master and listen bus? I have been considering cascading another unit myself, would you say its worth it? I do recall there being a change to the way the master shows up with the last firmware, maybe it is exactly this scenario that's being addressed.
by aduki on Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:09 am
Actually yes, I did want to double check that's what you are saying- that the FP with the single fader will always and automatically default to the master fader on opening any song?
by frank.crow on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:21 pm
In my setup I grouped both of my F8’s together as demonstrated in Gregors video. But when I connected the Faderport 2018 I was not allowed to add it to the group nor create a 2nd group which I found odd. It was simply added as a new device.

The Faderport 2018 defaulted to control my Master Bus. But I must be totally honest here. I haven’t done any experimenting with this.

Please continue to research before dropping all that cash

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by aduki on Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:38 pm
:thumbup:
by frank.crow on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:20 am
Ok

I checked this weekend and “Yes” the “Master” button on the Faderport 2018 has to be selected.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by nickschreger on Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:15 am
Hi all, my plan is to get a Faderport V2 for the singing booth and to use it along with my Faderport 16 in order to be able to control a recording session from the booth without having to get out, to the desk and back in whenever I mess up. And I mess up often. That possible?

Details

Main Studio-Computer: Apple Mac Mini M1 - 16GB RAM 8‑Core CPU, 8‑Core GPU and 16‑Core Neural Engine
Operating System: (latest MacOS)
Audio-Interface: Presonus Quantum 2626
Preamp: ART Voice Channel
Console: SSL UC-1, Presonus Faderport 16, Presonus Faderport V2
Studio-Monitors: Rokit KRK8 1st. gen. / Presonus Eris E5BT

Music Styles: Classic Rock/Blues a tad of Country
Instruments: Guitar - Bass - Keys - Drums - Voc
by nickschreger on Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:27 am
I can answer my own question now: it works perfectly without any configuration :)

Details

Main Studio-Computer: Apple Mac Mini M1 - 16GB RAM 8‑Core CPU, 8‑Core GPU and 16‑Core Neural Engine
Operating System: (latest MacOS)
Audio-Interface: Presonus Quantum 2626
Preamp: ART Voice Channel
Console: SSL UC-1, Presonus Faderport 16, Presonus Faderport V2
Studio-Monitors: Rokit KRK8 1st. gen. / Presonus Eris E5BT

Music Styles: Classic Rock/Blues a tad of Country
Instruments: Guitar - Bass - Keys - Drums - Voc
by DominicB on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:34 pm
HOW TO MANUALLY ASSIGN THE FADER OF FADERPORT 2018 to ANY FADER OF STUDIO ONE

So... You can manually assign the Fader of the FP(2018) to the Master or Listen Bus fader using the Control Link feature. The simplest way to do this is to move the fader of the FaderPort 2018 and then immediately right-click the fader in Studio One you want to assign it to. This gives you a contextual menu where you can choose "Assign "Volume" to fader on FaderPort (2018)" If you don't have a right-click on your mouse or track pad you can also hold the modifier keyboard key "Ctrl" (on Mac) or the equivalent on Windows, (might be the Windows key not sure as I'm on Mac ATM) This also gives you the same contextual menu.

Assign Fader to FaderPort.png

Product Manager
Presonus Audio

Mac Pro 1,2 | 8 Core Xeon | 16GB Ram | OSX 10.9
MacBook Pro i7 16
HP Laptop i7 12GB Ram Win 8.1
Interfaces: Presonus,
Controllers: AKAI LPK25, Arturia Minilab, Maschine Mikro mkII, Nektar P49, Keystation Pro 88, Korg Microkey
by Bbd on Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:57 am
Solved!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by michaelmockley on Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:27 am
I have ran into a slight problem with the process above from DominicB. In the contextual menu; "Assign Volume to fader on Faderport(2018)" has a checkmark and is grayed out. I don't use Automation so I might be missing something basic here. I watched Gregor's video on Control link & MIDI but that didn't get me any closer. If anyone could give me a little help I would be greatly appreciative.

FYI: Channel/Lock seems to be a solution although i swear I tried it a couple times before and it didn't work. oh well it was certainly easier with the Faderport classic, just press the Output button. i wanted to post solution in case someone else has a problem.

Studio One Pro V5
Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
CPU: i7-7700K 4.2GHz - RAM: 64GB DDR4
System Drives: 2x 512GB NVMe
Data Drives: 2x 1TB SSD & 4TB 7200rpm
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
UA Apollo x6 Thunderbolt 3
FaderPort 8 + FaderPort 2018
MIDI Controllers: Akai MPK261, Behringer FCB1010
by FaveDave on Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:58 am
michaelmockley wroteI have ran into a slight problem with the process above from DominicB. In the contextual menu; "Assign Volume to fader on Faderport(2018)" has a checkmark and is grayed out. I don't use Automation so I might be missing something basic here. I watched Gregor's video on Control link & MIDI but that didn't get me any closer. If anyone could give me a little help I would be greatly appreciative.

FYI: Channel/Lock seems to be a solution although i swear I tried it a couple times before and it didn't work. oh well it was certainly easier with the Faderport classic, just press the Output button. i wanted to post solution in case someone else has a problem.

I have the same problem. What is channel/Lock, please?

Studio One Professional 6.5.2, Faderport 2018, Apollo Twin, UAD Octo x 2, iMac Pro Monterey 12.7.3 w/ 64 gigs of RAM, Genelec 8341A monitors.

I make pop and film music. Listen here
by FaveDave on Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:35 pm
DominicB wroteHOW TO MANUALLY ASSIGN THE FADER OF FADERPORT 2018 to ANY FADER OF STUDIO ONE

So... You can manually assign the Fader of the FP(2018) to the Master or Listen Bus fader using the Control Link feature. The simplest way to do this is to move the fader of the FaderPort 2018 and then immediately right-click the fader in Studio One you want to assign it to. This gives you a contextual menu where you can choose "Assign "Volume" to fader on FaderPort (2018)" If you don't have a right-click on your mouse or track pad you can also hold the modifier keyboard key "Ctrl" (on Mac) or the equivalent on Windows, (might be the Windows key not sure as I'm on Mac ATM) This also gives you the same contextual menu.

Assign Fader to FaderPort.png

Oh man, this doesn't work for me. :(

When I right click the option to select master volume is greyed out, and a check mark is next to it. But my 2018 single faderport still uses its fader for whatever track I have selected. If I hit the Master button, then the rotary knob will always control the Master volume, but not the fader. This is ok, I guess, as the rotary on my Faderport 16 can have a different function. But it would be nice to use the 2018 fader for main volume!

I have the latest firmware.

Studio One Professional 6.5.2, Faderport 2018, Apollo Twin, UAD Octo x 2, iMac Pro Monterey 12.7.3 w/ 64 gigs of RAM, Genelec 8341A monitors.

I make pop and film music. Listen here

17 posts
Page 1 of 1