FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello!

I am new in Presonus world and been messing around with Presonus Sphere for some time. I mostly try to find a good setup to record some songs and what not. I record at home mostly. What I really enjoy about Presonus is that there is ecosystem around it that is integrated with studio one. So the question is: Since I really enjoy hands on buttons and faders I want to purchase Faderport 8 or smaller studiolive mixer. Which is better for my use to your experience?
Also do you need separate audio interface with faderport (studiolive mixers are also audio interfaces right?). If I need a separate audiointerface with faderport should I go with presonus gear, or is something like SSL2+ ok?

Sorry if this question is something asked thousand times. It is somehow hard for me to grasp what I gain or miss with either of them (except the built in audiointerface I think).
I really enjoy the idea of enchanced workflow and the hands on approach that these boards promises me :).
by klypeman on Tue May 25, 2021 6:05 am
I needed a mixer so I went for a SLIII32 as the DAW integration is awesome, just getting better and make it possible to adjust Presonus plugins and most 3 party plugins alike with the rotary knobs if setup proper.
This is also possible with the FaderPort/s.
You will need an audio device with FaderPort though.
I use a combination of both.
I got a FaderPort 8 first but it integrates nicely together.
On the SLIII there’s a touchable screen and It’s a breeze to press the plugin which pops up and makes it easy to do things on the fly.
I setup the rotary knobs on the parameters I want and SO 5 remembers when I lock it, I simply loves it !!
Motorized faders are great too !
The FaderPorts are doing it’s job as well and well but you get what you pay for and not all the whistles as on the SLIII.
My 2 cents.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by pekkaalanne on Tue May 25, 2021 6:36 am
Thanks for the post!

So basically can you say that studiolive series is actually a upgrade to the faderport series? So that if one can cough up the money for studiolive gear it would be a better suited for DAW work etc.?
EDIT: What are the main things that is missing from faderport when compared to the Studiolive series?
by SwitchBack on Tue May 25, 2021 7:10 am
The Series III console mixers can do all the fader and interfacing jobs you want with your DAW, and even the smallest one has twice as many faders as the FP8. So if you have the money then it's a good option.

The one thing I want to warn you about is the space it will need on your desk. An FP8 is way more compact. So keep that in mind too when you make a choice.

PS. You can use other brands of audio interfaces with S1 no problem.
by klypeman on Tue May 25, 2021 7:24 am
On the FaderPort there’s a footswitch in
that’s one thing, on the SLIII you have compressors and delay + reverb build in and buttons for your sends/aux.
I like to do compression on the way in but we have a lot of different approaches so ..

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++

5 posts
Page 1 of 1