FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Major bug with controlling Ableton Macros in Devices in both Live 10 & 11. macOS Mojave 10.14.6:

I’m having to hit the edit plugins and the device button twice for the faders to respond. Because of this, the macros on the first two faders are reverting back to “zero” and/or wherever the fader volume is on the fader in question. Seems to be mostly affecting the macros set to the same track/device that I’m wanting to control.

Running the latest UC and firmware, tested the Faderport in Logic X and Studio One 5 and it's working flawlessly.

See the video link below as it’s quite hard to explain!

https://youtu.be/HqrYTj5RiVU

(A support ticket has already been sent).
by seanjamieson on Thu May 20, 2021 9:10 pm
Further testing with multiple devices in a chain... The macro (fader) that is having the issue is the same one that is assigned to the device I'm selecting to control.

I'm convinced the problem is the fact that you have to press "edit plugins' and the "select" button twice to get the Faderport to respond!? :( Frustrating! :thumbdown:
by seanjamieson on Mon May 24, 2021 10:06 am
It's a v3.44 firmware issue:

It seems the issue is larger than just the "edit plugins" mode. It seems to be affecting all modes (Track, Edit Plugins, Sends, Pan). In terms of having to cycle through the modes to get the faders to function correctly.

Track, Sends & Pan are getting "mixed up", you have to cycle back and forth between them in a weird combination to get the faders to respond correctly. Sometimes the buttons don't light up with the corresponding LED Screens for each mode. Most of the time the LED screens link to the right mode, but hardly the faders themselves. It's all out of whack!

These bugs are when running the latest v3.44 firmware update.
I managed to do a factory reset and a firmware update back to v3.32 and it fixed these issues.
In doing so I also noticed another change/bug with v3.44:

The throw/control distance of the faders when they are assigned to track volume has been "shortened" in v3.44.

As Ableton Live's volume faders only go up to +6db, once the fader reaches that point on the FaderPort it "tops out”, and anywhere between +5 and +10 on the fader makes no difference.

Sure this means that the faders align with the markings on the FaderPort in relation to Live, but it severely limits the sensitivity of the faders compared to v3.32. I much prefer it when unity gain in Ableton Live is actually at +5db on the FaderPort. I actually recall someone asking on this forum how to change it so the faders "lined up" to unity with Ableton and a PreSonus team member/moderator replied saying that it wouldn't make sense because you'd lose fader sensitivity and shorten the throw.

Hopefully, the next firmware update can resolve these issues with the fader modes and hopefully revert back to the original fader throw (I'm not sure if it's intentional or a bug?).

I'm really missing the shortcut to MIDI mode (double shift) in v3.32! It was becoming an integral part of my workflow!

I highly suggest anyone using Ableton, not update to the latest firmware (v3.44) for the time being until this is resolved. Or has anyone who is using Ableton Live been able to run the latest firmware without any of these issues? "Hopefully" I'm the only one?!

I've thought about updating back to v3.44 just to check if something went wrong during the firmware install but honestly, I'm just happy to get it working again for the time being!
by jeremycote1 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:12 pm
Did you ever get an answer from Presonus?

I am experiencing the same issues, but I did not notice your post on this before I posted. I'm waiting to hear back on when the firmware is going to be fixed, but have not heard anything yet.

Like you, I have rolled back to v.3.32 for the moment.
by seanjamieson on Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:32 pm
jeremycote1 wroteDid you ever get an answer from Presonus?

I am experiencing the same issues, but I did not notice your post on this before I posted. I'm waiting to hear back on when the firmware is going to be fixed, but have not heard anything yet.

Like you, I have rolled back to v.3.32 for the moment.

Hey Jeremy,

I put through a support ticket. After sending a system report and some quite generic responses, in which they didn't read my queries (they didn't even watch my video at first)... They came to the same conclusion as me, it's a firmware issue. They suggested I roll back to 3.32 (which I'd already done) and wait for the possibily of a firmware update that may fix my issues. I'm not holding my breath...

The desk is working flawlessly at v3.32 in Ableton. The only feature I miss is being able to access midi mode with the "double shift" shortcut. Considering they tout this desk as having "deep intergration" with Ableton Live, you think they would be able to sort this out in a more timely fashion. Or at the least notfiy customers of the issue with some release notes or a public response of the issues.
by jeremycote1 on Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:14 am
Thanks for the info. This is super frustrating to say the least. The developers should be able to easily sort this out given everything works in v3.32, but the non-response thus far does not give me any confidence this will be resolved, also evidenced by your comments.

Hey Presonus how about some basic communication about this issue with your users?

I'm cutting my losses and sending my F16 back. This was my first Presonus product. I was looking at adding Studio One as a DAW for mixing to supplement Abelton, but I have little tolerance for products that don't work as advertised.

Instead, I have a SSL UF8 being delivered today.

Good luck with this, maybe Presonus will get it together with their firmware development and fix this.
by sidprakash on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:29 pm
How do I find the prior firmware? I just bought it and I’m having the same problems. Trying to figure out how to roll it back.
by bennyblanco8 on Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:46 am
Just came across this thread which I also found helpful.
I have just downgraded to 3.32.

I found the older firmware here on this page:
https://www.presonus.com/products/Fader ... /downloads

Search down the page for:
Universal Control v3.1.2.54970
Download Now
Released November 19, 2019
View release notes
99.7 MB
Operating Systems supported:
macOS 10.15 Catalina, macOS 10.14.6 Mojave, macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, macOS 10.12.6 Sierra, macOS 10.11.6 El Capitan
Show Windows downloads

Validate in the release notes you see "FaderPort (2018) / FaderPort 8 / FaderPort 16 - v​3.32-16539"

I didn't have to run a factory reset. I uninstalled the prior 3.44 Universal Controller (didn't reboot Mac) and the installed the .pkg file. Downgraded firmware to 3.32 without issue.
by seanjamieson on Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:24 pm
by seanjamieson on Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:03 am
seanjamieson wroteHi everyone, good news!

Firmware v3.51 has fixed the issues above:

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/release_notes/UC_3_6_1_Milestone_ReleaseNotes.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2ZMANW5c_tahV-kKEtdsFesHi8-24DEK05GO04wgYsYBdhF-kUSw8aVvk

:evil: Scratch that... on further testing with automation, not all the faders are responding to automation movement in "edit plugins mode". Also when you cycle back to track mode, the faders don't return to their original position all the time, ruining your volume balance!

Another few issues I've spotted, even when cycling back to v3.32:

The faders seem to "top out" before they reach the maximum values for all parameters:

"volume & return" Faders only go to 5.964db instead of 6db

You can't edit plugin parameters to their full range and macros only go to 126 instead of 127!

:(

10 posts
Page 1 of 1