FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey everyone! Happy Holidays!

New FP16 owner, and really digging the product so far!

However, Since I got the unit about 10 days ago, I noticed that ALL the button LEDs appear very 'jittery' and are flickering in unison. Its not really dramatic, but its definitely noticeable and pretty annoying, especially in lower lighting. This isn't a cheap product, so I'm surprised to see this.

Nerd alert: It almost looks like what happens when you try to dim non-dimmable LED lighbulbs, try to use an older dimmer switch that's not LED bulb-compatible, or when you dim LED lights or lighstrips to their very lowest brightness level.

I purchased the unit from Sweetwater, and they agreed this is not normal behavior. They sent a replacement, which I have just verified does the SAME THING. I tried the new power supply too just to be sure - no difference. I am plugged into a Furman power conditioner that I use with my MacBook Pro, external drives and other key gear, so I don't think there's a power issue. I even tried unplugging the USB cable, to make sure there wasn't nose coming across that connection. I have multiple other pieces of gear with lighted soft-buttons, and none of them do this.
I'm at firmware 3.44, which UC indicates is up to date.

I'm stumped...

Has anyone else seen this? Thoughts?

PreSonus Support is next, if no luck here...

Thanks in advance!
Bob
by Trucky on Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:10 pm
I'm not seeing this in normal or lower lighting conditions with my FP16.
It's unusual that both your original and replacement units exhibit this issue.

Do the LEDs exhibit the same flickering issue when not plugged into the Furman?
Sounds like you have a bunch of gear... Any chance you're overloading the Furman?
Is there any unique lighting or equipment that might be causing interference?

If not, here's something to try...

1. Power on the FP16 (without USB cable plugged in) while holding down the first 2 [Select] buttons.
2. Select "Setup" then "Test" then "Turn LEDs On".
3. Observe all the brightness levels of the LEDs.

If you still see noticeable flicker, submit a Support Ticket :
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Download the STUDIO ONE 5 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2), Studio One 5.1.2 Pro | Notion 6.8 | Universal Control v3.4.0.61835
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.4.17466
by robertmarshall3 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:55 pm
Thanks Trucky.

Do the LEDs exhibit the same flickering issue when not plugged into the Furman?
Sounds like you have a bunch of gear... Any chance you're overloading the Furman?

>> The LEDs act the same plugged into Furman or otherwise. I don't think the Furman has too much connected and others that are, have no issues, so I don't think that's the issue.

Is there any unique lighting or equipment that might be causing interference?
>> Nope its a pretty basic mancave toy room. :punk:

1. Power on the FP16 (without USB cable plugged in) while holding down the first 2 [Select] buttons.
2. Select "Setup" then "Test" then "Turn LEDs On".
3. Observe all the brightness levels of the LEDs.

>> OK did that. Nice feature. Interestingly, all the LEDS are MUCH brighter in the test mode (should they be?), and all work great - no flicker at all, and all colors work great. Interestingly, the test mode apparently doesn't include the transport controls (??), which seems a bit odd - for a test mode. I think I am support ticket-bound. Will report back if anything helpful to share.

If you still see noticeable flicker, submit a Support Ticket :
https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/requests/new[/quote]
by Trucky on Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:30 pm
v3.44 firmware is installed on my FP16.
Yes, it's normal that all the LEDs will appear as bright as when they are individually selected.
Also on mine the LEDs for the Transport section are lit during that test.

You should be able to see the contrast in brightness when you run the "Turn LEDs off".

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Download the STUDIO ONE 5 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (20H2), Studio One 5.1.2 Pro | Notion 6.8 | Universal Control v3.4.0.61835
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.4.17466

4 posts
Page 1 of 1