FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
12 posts
Page 1 of 1
Coming from reaper, you could write your automation. Then throw the track into trim mode and the fader would control the overall voume of the track, but leave the automation in place... so useful.

From what I can tell, even though we have the button, TRIM doesn't exist in studio one?

Any workarounds?

Thanks!
Rob
by TomTama on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:54 am
I don't know of any way to do it. I'd like to see S1 get Trim mode.

2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, TB2, 64GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7, Dell 43" 4K Monitor, Luna Display, 2X Apollo x8, Apollo x8p, UAD OCTO TB3 Satellite, UAD QUAD TB3 Satellite, UAD V9.14.5, UA OX 1.2, Studio One 5.4, Dangerous Dbox+, Dangerous 2-Bus LT, MiniDSP w/Dirac 2.0, Behringer PowerPlay P16-M & P16-I, ATOM, SSL UF8, Akai Advance 49, Focal Twin 6be, Focal Sub6
by ansolas on Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:56 am
Studio One do not have trim automation:

Herer are 2 workarounds:

* setup a VCA (might be overkill if you want to trim each channel separate)
* Insert mixtool or any other gain plugin to trim the volume

Mixtool unfortunately can't reduce the volume to naught :/

Hopefully Presonus add trim automation some day, that we can finally use teh TRIM button on out Faderport's :)

related, please vote if you like to see such a feature:
https://answers.presonus.com/52121/a-tr ... deo-please
https://answers.presonus.com/11635/plea ... 635#q11635

Presonus StudioOne 6, Apple Logic Pro
__
macOS, macMini M1 1TB SSD / 16 GB RAM,
MOTU M2, Behringer X-Touch & 2*X-Touch Extender,
https://ansolas.de
by robreid1 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:28 pm
Any update on this for version 5? Not looking like it to me :(
by Jemusic on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:45 pm
There are input trim controls on every track during playback. To see them, with the console open, click on the little wrench icon. (Top left console window only)

Under Channel Components, check Input controls.

Right at the top of the channel strip you now have an input control which can add or subtract gain. (Polarity of each channel can be flipped here too)

This channel trim is now added or subtracted to any automation that may be in operation.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robreid1 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm
I believe these trim controls are pre-insert though, this will alter the gain-staging into the plugins which is not what I am looking for unfortunately.
by Jemusic on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 pm
Yes trim controls are pre anything in fact.

There are a few things you can do though. One is to insert a Mixtool last in any inserts. Here you can add or subtract gain as required.

Another is while you have the automation being viewed, is to grab all the automation and raise or lower it by the required amount.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by robreid1 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:28 pm
Thanks Jer,

All decent workarounds.

But it would be great if the "Trim" button actually worked :D considering it's right there :P
by robreid1 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:29 pm
As an aside, does the trim button actually do anything?
by Jemusic on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:42 pm
The TRIM button on the Faderport 8/16 is designed to trim automation. Exactly what you are looking for. Except that it is not implemented as yet so it does nothing right now. But with firmware updates coming out this may be engaged at some point.

This is a little video showing how easy it is to trim existing automation. What you do first is insert Mixtool and then adjust it while the mix is playing to establish how much extra or less gain is required. Then apply the technique in the video. After which you would bypass or remove the Mixtool.

phpBB [video]

by thorstenmustermann on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:16 am
Jemusic wroteBut with firmware updates coming out this may be engaged at some point.

Fine! But the problem is this takes time. Sometimes users waiting for important feature requests and firmware updates over 3-5 years and even more.

For example: I'm waiting now around 3-4 years for the feature that FP8/16 does not showing hiding tracks at all. Only then the illuminated FP8/16 buttons like "Audio" - "VI" - "MIDI" and "All" makes sense to use this buttons with a helpful functionally inside SO.

Also this unbelievable bad designed FP8/16 LCD display shout be corrected since years. The names of each track should be displayed with better readable letters and very important showing in TWO rows instead of one row! (In Track mode of course) Please watch in this case the official FP8 product pictures from PreSonus.com. Please compare the FP16 pictures to the FP8 pictures and you realize immediately what I'm meaning.

The wanted "Trim Mode" is not the problem for FP8/16 because this button is still there. This needs a feature update for SO5. But I think there are also the VCA faders for this functionally.
by robreid1 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:27 am
Just gonna bump this again for visibility... Cmon Presonus, you gave us a TRIM button, now let us use it :D

I'm literally hesitant to use automation as early as I would normally because it effectively disables the fader for that track as soon as you automate. Such a pain in the...

12 posts
Page 1 of 1