FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I've literally just taken delivery of a Faderport 8 which I'm using on a Mac running OSX 10.15.4 and Logic Pro X.

I had it plugged into a USB hub and Logic could see it but Universal Control could not. I then plugged it directly into a USB port on my iMac and UC could then see the device and update it's firmware.

So my question is, can I connect the Faderport to a USB hub if Logic X seems happy to use it, or will it under perform, lack functionality and should always be connected directly to the computer?
by matthewgorman on Mon May 11, 2020 9:34 am
The fact that it does not show up in UC on the hub will be problematic. It may not fail totally, but it could create some unwanted behavior.

Its always best to plug direct to the mac, but that may not be feasible. Powered USB hubs are usually the cure.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by frank.crow on Mon May 11, 2020 1:40 pm
I had an issue connecting external devices including my faderport 8 to a powered hub. I was furious and blamed everyone on the planet. Studio One kept failing to recognize my F8. I eventually learned from a YouTube video by a DJ that the issue was that even powered hubs split power up between all the devices plugged into the hub. So basically more devices = more splits and less power to go around. If I understand correctly my F8 wasn’t getting enough juice basically. I shopped around and apparently most powered hubs are pretty wimpy. I eventually bought a Sabrient powered hub on Amazon. I’ve had it for years and every USB port is spoken for and active. I’ve never had another connectivity issue with the F8 again.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)