FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've just purchased a Faderport 8. All is (generally) as expected, but I've run into one annoying issue that I can't seem to fix.
I purchased the FP8 largely to use the faders to control parameters in virtual instruments - in Kontakt or Spitfire Audio's native plug-in for example. I've discovered the best way to do this is to use the FP8 in midi mode. So far, so good, but . . .
To illustrate the issue - fader 1 is assigned to expression, fader 2 to dynamics and fader 3 to vibrato. The strange behaviour is that fader 1 tracks the movement of fader 3. For the life of me, I can't seem to de-link them (although fader 3 does not do what fader 1 does, fader 1 follows the movements of fader 3 if 3 is being used on its own or fader 1 moves to mirror the position of fader 3 once I let go of it).
This is not a critical issue. I can just ignore fader 1 and use the other 7, I suppose, but I've become intrigued as to why fader 1 acts in such an anomalous fashion. [At one point, I had mapped six of the faders. Fader 1 started following fader 5!]
I don't think this is a Logic Pro problem, but any assistance would be gratefully received.

Another odd fader 1 issue - while I'm on the subject - is that in MCU mode, pushing the Pan button causes all of the faders to act as pan controllers for their respective channels, except fader 1, which continues to address track volume. Ah, well . . .

Paul

And . . . I've just discovered that the fader 1 behaviour - in midi mode - only occurs once I've played a note on my midi controller (i.e., keyboard). The mystery deepens . . .
by paulfairweather on Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:46 am
Solved

The new firmware update fixed the problem.
by Bbd on Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:31 pm
Thanks for updating your issue!

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by johnvallely on Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:37 am
Hi Paul,

This is the only post I've found so far of someone needing to use the Faderport to control the automation of Spitfire virtual instruments. I'm having an absolute nightmare trying to make it work..

With the "Edit Plugins" option, all the parameters of the plugin are automatically mapped to the faders (fantastic). Does this option not exist for the parameters of the instrument itself?

I've resorted to changing the Faderport to MIDI mode (hold the 2 shift buttons simultaneously), and from there you can map the parameters to faders yourself. However, this is not ideal, as when in MIDI mode, you lose all the other buttons (play / record / click / etc). Does this happen for you too?

Another BIG problem I've just realised is that, in MIDI mode, when you have set a fader to a parameter, it stops responding after you hit "Play" or "Record".... Making it completely useless.

Any help is appreciated.
by noahsmith18 on Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:03 pm
I am not able to get any response from my Faderport 16 while in MIDI mode when inside of Logic Pro X (like the controls do actual nothing). So then I have to reboot and be in Logic MCU mode to get any sort of interface. Then I'm limited to being able to change panning only? I'd really like to get this controller to alter CC data like Expression, Modulation, and Breath data. Anyone have ideas on how to set this up? The videos I've seen online from Presonus don't do anything to clarify this. Thanks!
by serjbhatti on Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:59 pm
"I've resorted to changing the Faderport to MIDI mode (hold the 2 shift buttons simultaneously), and from there you can map the parameters to faders yourself."

Hi John, how did you map the midi cc's in logic? Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

6 posts
Page 1 of 1