FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
3 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am wondering if anyone in this group has any opinions on this subject. I am looking at either adding a Faderport 16 and upgrading my interfaces or getting a 16 channel Series III mixer. I do mobile recordings as well as in home studio recordings as well as mixes. Some live shows as well.

Any Thoughts??

Apple iMac Pro 2TB internal, 32GB memory, 5 TB external storage.
OSX 10.15.7 Catalina
Studio One Pro 5.4 , Studio Live 16 III, NSB 16.8, Slate VRS8, AXE I/O
by darrenporter1 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:14 pm
I only have experience with the FP8, but if I could only go one of the two routes, I would go with the Series III mixer just because you say you do some live shows and location recording. If money were no object, I think I would go with the Faderport/separate interface route for the studio and SIII mixer for live shows/mobile recording.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by helgep on Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:31 am
Hi,

I've both of them. The SL24 III series is great but the Faderport 16 is way better integrated into Studio One. Every button and knob on Faderport 16 is just for using it with Studio One, while the SL24 III is still a mixer with a control surface mode. Maybe the integration will become better with the next updates, who knows. Also the Displays of the Faderport 16 can display more characters for track names - at least if you use caps characters.

If you can afford it, buy the SL III for live recordings (it is unbeatable in this area as long as you don't need 44.1 kHz right now) and use the Faderport 16 in the Studio. The fingerprint of the Faderport 16 is WAY smaller and better suited to fit on an already crowded desk. I've combined it with a Softube Console 1 and for me it is the perfect solution. I use the SL24 III for recording on location and UAD thunderbolt hardware (which can be remote controlled by Console 1) at home.

Cheers,
Helge

3 posts
Page 1 of 1