FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I own the FP-16 for about a week now. I use it on PC and Pro Tools 2018.4 and I like it a lot. I also watched some videos about the FP-16 and Pro Tools and I noticed that on the videos the SELECT buttons on each track inherit the color of the corresponding track. Am I wrong? Cause my FP-16 doesn't show the correct color on each SELECT button. All SELECT buttons have a dark green color when TRACK button is engaged. Shouldn't they light with the color of each corresponding track from the session and am I missing something here? Anyone knows how to fix this?

The other issue I have is the control of the sends level wth the faders. When I click the SENDS button I can only use the first fader to change the value of each send - one at a time. Isn't it possible to use a few faders controlling all sends of a track at the same time?

This two issues are really frustrating. I hope there is a solution for it and am I missing something here?

It would be too sad if this is how these actually are ment to work under Pro Tools. If that's the case - Í think PreSonus should quickly do a fix.
by chrisharwood on Wed May 16, 2018 6:49 pm
If I'm not mistaken, track color matching is only with Studio one. It doesn't match if I use the Faderport with Sonar as well.
Don t know the answer to question 2

12th gen Intel i9-12900k, 3.20-5.2 GHz, 32 gig DDR5 RAM at 4400 MHz, M.2 2tb SSD (2), NVIDIA rtx 3060ti 8 gig, external SSD, etc. Win11.
PreSonus : Studio One V5.x; Faderport 8, Atom, Steinberg UR44

YouTube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtG56H ... PKPbaG1_CQ
by klypeman on Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 am
For the second question, i think you are able to press sends twice if I'm not mistaken ?

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by jordanjordanov on Sun May 20, 2018 3:52 pm
chrisharwood wroteIf I'm not mistaken, track color matching is only with Studio one. It doesn't match if I use the Faderport with Sonar as well.
Don t know the answer to question 2

Why is that? How come they didn't make it for Pro Tools as well?!
I contacted the support team. They admitted that this hasn't been implemented, but promissed to contact their software development team and ask if this option would be possible to add over HUI.
I hope they do, cause this is really, really frustrating. Color-coding of the tracks would speed-up the workflow big time. Now I have to select a track first in the DAW, so the SELECT button lights up on the FP-16 and I am able to quickly locate it ... That's not the way it should work. Color-coding is a MUST for each DAW. They should fix this ASAP.
Last edited by jordanjordanov on Sun May 20, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by jordanjordanov on Sun May 20, 2018 3:53 pm
klypeman wroteFor the second question, i think you are able to press sends twice if I'm not mistaken ?

I didn't undestand - what would happen if I press SENDS twice in Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance!
by wonder6oy on Sun May 20, 2018 11:09 pm
I don't think the HUI protocol is able to support track color data. It's a very old protocol unfortunately. Oddly, I don't believe MCU does either.

Using the Faderport 8 in it's native mode here in S1, clicking the sends button more than once displays each send bus individually across multiple channels. I think the previous poster is thinking that maybe there is a similar functionality in HUI mode?

system specs: Studio One 5.1.0, Windows 10 64bit, Intel I7 8700K
by Lokeyfly on Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 am
Agree. It's the limitation of old MCU, and HUI protocols, so I doubt you'll see changes anytime soon. Too bad Mackie, never expanded on HUI enough to allow for such things. I've all but phased out my use with PT due to necessity, but keep it on tap for clients/friends.

On the flipside, the Faderport 8/16 color keys are a nice touch, but quite honestly, they're not all that diverse as a reference with Studio One. You get 4 colors, so it's almost useless to orient what bank your in based on color. That is unless you follow some strict color groupings. We probably all follow color groups, to some degree. Only with 4 colors, those groupings better be very apparent. For example, different shades of purple, might jump to either red or blue, depending on the stronger hue. And as you can imagine, the differences easily get blurred. Point being, I really can't rely on color to locate a track, so I simply count banks, or track numbering with the scribble indicators. Or select a track off the DAW, and hunt, as you do. Track numbers, still seems to be the best guideline. Mmv

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by jordanjordanov on Mon May 21, 2018 1:13 pm
Thanks a lot for all the info guys. By the way - I ust got an answer from the support team, confirming that HUI doesn't transmit track-color data. :(
But if the SELECT buttons support only 4 colors even in native mode, then it's actually meanless to push for it.

Cheers
by Bbd on Mon May 21, 2018 6:46 pm
FYI:

There is some mis-information here.

The FP8 and FP16 support more than 4 colors. They support many colors in fact.
I am looking at my FP16 and the Select buttons are mirroring my color choices from Studio One very nicely.

:)

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lokeyfly on Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 pm
Bbd is correct. There are more colors. Only they are ridiculously so poor to identify, that I've all but dismissed them.

The good. The selected channel is very bright, and one will never mistake the selected track.
However, color matching can be very wonky.
Tan (S1) might produce a bright peach FP8),
pastel orange (S1), an electric red (FP8),
brown (S1), a bright orange (FP8). Very flaky, but you'll know it's highlighted. That's about it. Lol.

The bad. When you leave a selected track, the color you'd like to think simply dims. Well, it dims just fine but to altogether different colors in different cases. More than a few in fact.
Ie. Olive green (4th column, 5th row) in S1. Color shown highlighted on FP8, bright pink (close, huh?)., Ok, so now I select another track, and the button turns to a soft red (why),But wait, the identical soft red button one channel over is from a non selected brown track in S1. When highlighted, as above, it is bright orange! I know, it sounds like I'm describing fruit loops, only fruit loops hold to their true identity.

This is why I dismiss the colors on the FP8. It's just some inherent flaw between the button colors about 12 colors, if I had to guess, to a table of colors in S1 that just don't really match, because colors simply don't correlate. Selected.channel, to non selected changes, only make identifying worse.

As I mentioned, if one were to follow some strict color guidelines by actually minimising and selecting per percussion, guitars, etc. With identical colors, the matching would effectively work better. Let's say, keeping things to 4 or 8 of the same.

With PT, I see only the 4 colors, with no channel color choices. Only selected channel highlight.

My point to Jordan doesn't change.

On the flipside, the Faderport 8/16 color keys are a nice touch, but quite honestly, they're not all that diverse as a reference with Studio One

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by klypeman on Sat May 26, 2018 3:09 am
jordanjordanov wrote
klypeman wroteFor the second question, i think you are able to press sends twice if I'm not mistaken ?

I didn't undestand - what would happen if I press SENDS twice in Pro Tools?

Thanks in advance!

My bad, was thinking Studio One again…. MCU on Protools it is not happening...

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++

11 posts
Page 1 of 1