FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
As I look over the possibilities with the Fader Port 8, one of the things I've noticed - as others have as well, is that the UNDO button not only is nowhere near the transport, but it also requires a Shift combo.

Can this be reassigned or flipped so that Shift is always on for that button or something?

Unfortunately, as a no-so-great guitar player (and other instruments aside from drums), I use the UNDO as often as I use the Record button. I was truly excited about the fact that the Undo button in Studio One actually does a Combo of Stop, Undo, Rewind. I use this combo all the time and Presonus obviously thought of that with their function working that way when pressing Undo while the transport is running a Record.

So - with the Fader Port 8, is there a way to re-assign that key so that it is either a one-click (without Shift), or swap it out with a different button that IS down near the transport?

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by darrenporter1 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:33 pm
I don't think you can do that but...

If you press and release the "shift" button, it will stay locked so you don't need to hold shift and press "undo" at the same time. As long as you are in a string of takes, you can just leave shift locked and it does not affect any of the transport controls.

That's how I do it.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by thorstenmustermann on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:37 am
Another option which I do here is to buy additional a secondhand Faderport One. On Ebay you got it probably to a fair price. The combination of FP8 with FP One is superb. I'm using much the "Undo" button from FP One. Also the "User" button which I routing to save project. I Use the save button after every action I do on DAW. Because I do not trust any DAW application on market. All users are lifelong (free) beta testers for IT companies. So I'm saving each step or changes on the project with the FP One "User" button in a very easy and fast way.

Also the bigger "Mute" "Solo" and "Rec" buttons on FP One are very helpful. Just select each channel on FP8 and use those buttons on FP One. The three "Windows View" buttons on FP One are also available without the "Shift" functionality. I'm using this a lot. Also there is a default "Punch" button on FP One which FP8/16 do not have.

With best regards
by Blades on Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 am
Hmm. Thanks for the answers. Seems like a strange design decision to me. I guess the tap shift option is OK, but strange that you wouldn't just be able to just change what a button does. Specifically I guess what I would want to reverse the shift and no shift versions of that undo button though it really seems that someone at the layout department would identify that people would most need the undo button while they are using the transport.

Definitely not a huge fan of buying another product to get something like an undo button, especially when that product is from an earlier version of the same line and they realized THEN that that button was a good idea but someone decided to move it so far off on the updated versions and then CHOSE not to provide a way to place it elsewhere logically. And to make the user buttons shift options also, which seem like they would likely be the ones a user most wanted fast access to just seems like a bit of poor planning to me.

That stuff, coupled with the inability to change the resolution that the blue dial moves the transport makes me question whether to spend the money. As small as it seems to all of the other things this has going for it, those are primary things that get repeated over and over in my work flow.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by darrenporter1 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:01 am
I really think it's just a matter of getting used to the workflow. I hit that undo button a gazillion times while tracking guitar solos and vocal takes and never gave it a second thought. 8-)

by Blades on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:48 pm
Yeah - so I watched a few videos and I see how the Shift "latch" function works and I think that would work fine for when tracking to leave it Shift-ed and then just use that Undo function, then when not tracking, when Undo is less common and less "I'm playing my guitar and my hand is on the transport - leave me alone with the ctrl-Z crap!", leave the Shift In-shifted.

Thanks again for the answers and thanks to Johnny Geib for the helpful videos he's had which have REALLY contributed to my learning as I try to shift into Studio One from Sonar.

Using:
by darrenporter1 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:08 pm
Yep. Beats the pants off the 'ol "SPACE - Ctrl-Z - Keypad-, " dance for sure!

I'm coming from SONAR also and found the FaderPort 8 to be the most of the answers to what I never knew was missing in SONAR!

And Johnny Geib was instrumental in getting me going both with the software and the FP8. His videos are awesome.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1