FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
14 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey, just wanted to share with all of you if you're experiencing this same anomaly.

The Fadeport 8, is a great surface controller, and largely fits the bill of having its 8 tactile faders handle some very real control and user feedback. However, it's not without its quirks and minor peculiarities.

Have you noticed the level indicators in the scribble strips not only have bad timing, but they don't seem to be very accurate.

About the only feedback I can make out of the FP8 level indicators is basically activity, or no activity. The timing is so completely off, and I can't even say it's from any sort of latency either.

Smooth fades, or variances in the audio just don't translate correctly. Perhaps its just my Faderport 8?

Granted, I don't put much stock in the scribble strips, though a few key bits of information such as track name, track number, and Pan position are very useful.

Channel levels are pretty vital, depending where they are placed and the scribble strip is not one of them. Most of us are going to use level meters shown on the monitor's screen, but proper levels do point to activity, and proper, uhem...... level.

I performed a breif latency check with a few varied buffers of 128, 512, and 1024.

Didn't help. Oh well.

(Edited spelling)
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Bbd on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 pm
Good point Jim. The scribble script displayed levels really are not meant for measurement as much as activity of the channel. I never expected much from such a small visual indicator but I do like the fact that I can see activity.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lokeyfly on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:36 am
Jim, have a look and see if they even make sense. Activity is one thing, but falsehood is another.

Yeah, I dont think I ever even look at the level meters on the FP, which probably explains why I'm seeing this now. :D

Pseudo metering, (and on audio!). That's pretty bad, IMO.

Given the tactile advantages for the price, its partly forgiven. Shame is somehow, the underlined word for its metering.

Only they'll never pry it from my hands. :|

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Bbd on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:26 pm
I created a new song with some tracks/channels and played back a long audio loop on each one. I then adjusted the volume levels and monitored the FP's scribble strips. They are not extremely fast and so quick changes in audio is not picked up on the FP as fast as S1.
However, they do give me a good ballpark.
I don't see the issue you see Jim.
They serve a good purpose IMO.
No shame there on my side!
:)

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by Lokeyfly on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:29 pm
OK thanks for the check. I'll continue to try to understand why, when it even warrants looking. My indicators are so bad that even when something ramps down, the signal shown almost wants to show that, but produces some peaks out of the blue. It was virtually on all tracks, which was about 32 channels, so it wasn't any sort of unknown bleed.

I was working on another piece tonight, and never remembered to check. It's just so much more important for me to get songs done, so I have to make an effort to look.

Very unusual though.
TY

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by roblof on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 am
For what it’s worth. The mackie mcu has a fixed led segment decay of 200ms/segment. If it is switched over to logic mode then the decay is 300ms/segment. This means that they act more like peak-hold meters rather than a decent level meter.

Also note that the levels are not labeled so it is up to the daw to determine how much each segment actually indicates. Even the clip indicator is a function of the daw and not derived from the segment information.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Lokeyfly on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm
Yeah, actually a peak hold indicator is all that could be expected out of such a thing.

As for other motorized control surfaces I found the Mackie wasn't too horrible, and with only one LED per channel, at least shows a peak reading. The QCON Pro which is very similar to the Mackie has about 8 LED's that run along the side of the fader, which has always been a novel, and smart design choice. I tried that as well at Sam Ash, and it's pretty nice, with delay about no greater than what seems to be about 50 msecs, on audio playback, per track, but very responsive when recording audio (optional). The down side was only that I saw little to no support for it. That's never a good thing, unless you're into boat anchors.

I forget how responsive the SSL Nucleus2 was, when I saw it at the AES, and played around with one at B&H here in Manhatten. Buy I would have remembered if there was some bad delay. At $5k there better not be much delay. The contrast and clarity (yellow on black background) is extremely clear).

Too bad the FP8/16 doesn't produce any true peak reading though. I agree that would produce some some greater use. Not for most.of us, but some people have purchased things like an FP8 for being at a distance from a monitor.

I have no idea on how descent metering on the XTouch is.

Oh well Presonus, a minor oversight, I reckon. :roll: :)

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by roblof on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:22 am
The xtouch follows the mackie mcu spec of 200ms/led decay.

What I find interesting is that there seems to be no definition as to what level each led refers to. I think that I’ll compare with s1, reaper and cubase to see if they use the same reference of not. Hmmm, I should be able to test with logic and live as well...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Bbd on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:39 am
@Lokefly

What firmware version is your FP8 running? You did not list that.
Since I am not seeing the same issue as you, you might have a faulty unit.
Someone on this thread asked if you could post a video of your issue so we can compare to our own.
I did a quick test on my FP and the levels seemed fine.

I don't think this has anything to do with Presonus oversight as you mentioned above. Let's try to get to the real issue on your FP if possible.

Thanks.

Bbd

by jpettit on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:43 pm
Suggest adding an FR for Peak number on FP LCD.
As for accuracy since there is no scale, one could easily run a calibration test with the tone generator to map out a response of the FP to 0db .25, .5, .75 and FS.

After taking a look at them on my FP16 they seem to follow and scale to my S1 meter fairly closely. They even report Gain reduction well, which I did not even know they did.

Did you by chance do any manual hacks to timing on the XML file or perhaps you just don't have a clean install of the latest?

Be interested in your calibrated test results.

My #1 request is for them to drop the gigantic Pan position number <C> and replace it with a peak or RMS live number.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Lokeyfly on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 pm
Good thoughts. I'll have a chance to calibrate them over the weekend.

As to the latest version, I'll check as well. When I purchased the FP8 last year, I updated it the next day.

Looks like I'll have to check again, as well as run the diagnostics. If the delay is simply still not making sense as in the rogue peaks I spoke of, I'll video capture it.

I'll let you know the version, and post it in my sig.

Also, I like your idea of the peak reading on those strips, Jpettit.
Probably worth a last mention that I don't read.the scribble strips much at all. Mostly due to the stright up angle they are positioned at. But some may be forced to read them at a distance to a monitor, and preferably know when an overload has occurred, or peak reading where it might be nearing overload.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure it will get mended.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 am
I got a chance to see the FP8 meters on Saturday. Calibration, and consistency to one another all looked good to 3 selected test tones. Short drum hits, and longer decayed hits all equal. In-out fades all consistent as expected.

It looks as though the rogue hits I was seeing on the activity meters earlier on were actually small background noises. Really subtle stuff, but enough to create meter movement spikes from FP8's meters. I had to use the zoom data slider and Increase heavily enough to see what the cause was and there they appeard. Meter delay is not all that bad. I didn't try to determine its time, but it's no greater than what looks to be maybe only 50 milliseconds if that. It was these almost sub sonic spikes in the waveform that had me guessing what's up, earlier on. That's a good thing. Finding the trouble always is.

The very early and late spikes at the beginning or ending audio sections were throwing me, but I was looking at mostly mic'd guitar tracks. Unfortunately with some hardly audible background "stuff".

So I'm pretty Ok with the existing meter timing. Meters in such a place are hardly anything to bank off of for almost any real use, so it doesn't impact much.

Interestingly, Sound On Sound noted some delays with the metering, in their review of the Faderport 8. But here, it's a non issue.

JPettit wrote; My #1 request is for them to drop the gigantic Pan position number <C> and replace it with a peak or RMS live number.

Nice. Besides, if there's no bars to left or right, it means pan is centered. The true peak, or RMS indication could be reported from Studio One s own accuracy, which is what I think is translating anyway with all information.

Yeah, I noticed a while back about the reduction metering. It's been working quite well all along. Nice addition as well.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by darrenporter1 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:04 am
I wouldn't trust a meter that small for anything other than verifying there is signal present. I really never even notice they are there. My eyes have to be somewhere so they might as well be on the main DAW screen.

Use a proper meter on your DAW screen for anything "mission critical."

A clipping indicator would be a cool feature on the FP8 though. Like flicker the channel select button red if it is clipping or something.

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by Lokeyfly on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 pm
darrenporter1 wroteI wouldn't trust a meter that small for anything other than verifying there is signal present. I really never even notice they are there. My eyes have to be somewhere so they might as well be on the main DAW screen.

Use a proper meter on your DAW screen for anything "mission critical."

Yeps. Covered that.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

14 posts
Page 1 of 1