FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
27 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I keep getting this error message that says "Limited or no connectivity with Faderport 8" something like that. I've had this issue before but it's gone away. This time however I'm experiencing pretty serious lag time between the Faders and the screen. Basically I move a Fader and it doesn't immediately synchronize with the corresponding Fader in Studio One 3.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by matthewgorman on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 pm
Johnny Geib (aka themuzic here) told me that he has seen this issue, and with his clients, 100% of the problems were fixed with a powered hub. The thinking is that the USB stack on the pc/mac is under powered for the device.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by frank.crow on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 pm
matthewgorman wroteJohnny Geib (aka themuzic here) told me that he has seen this issue, and with his clients, 100% of the problems were fixed with a powered hub. The thinking is that the USB stack on the pc/mac is under powered for the device.

Thanks for responding,
I actually use a powered Hub for that reason. I'm trying to remember if my Faderport is connected via the powered Hub or directly to my Mac. I should be covered either way? I know that apart from the USB antenna for my mouse I only have 2 total midi devices sharing that Hub for fear of splitting up the power.

Oh wait a minute, I wonder if maybe the power source came loose.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm
frank.crow wrote
matthewgorman wroteJohnny Geib (aka themuzic here) told me that he has seen this issue, and with his clients, 100% of the problems were fixed with a powered hub. The thinking is that the USB stack on the pc/mac is under powered for the device.

Thanks for responding,
I actually use a powered Hub for that reason. I'm trying to remember if my Faderport is connected via the powered Hub or directly to my Mac. I should be covered either way? I know that apart from the USB antenna for my mouse I only have 2 total midi devices sharing that Hub for fear of splitting up the power.

Oh wait a minute, I wonder if maybe the power source came loose.

Oh man, I'm sorry I just figured out what you meant. My MAC mini may actually not be able to handle the load so using the hub might actually provide more power. I'll verify the connections when I get home.

Thanks

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by Skip Jones on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm
No, not covered the other way. Go direct into the MOBO. It's different than front panel connections etc. Try plugging into the back USB connect (MOBO) to see if that makes a difference.

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by frank.crow on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:12 pm
Skip Jones wroteNo, not covered the other way. Go direct into the MOBO. It's different than front panel connections etc. Try plugging into the back USB connect (MOBO) to see if that makes a difference.

MOBO?

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Praise God🙏
It's all good now. The hub is now carrying the load and it's running great.

Thanks

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by Lokeyfly on Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:51 am
Cool! Glad it worked out.

With my 4 year old Sony laptop, I was going to initially buy a powered USB hub, but tried a 4 way passive one. No problems so far, or delays. Everything is crisp. 3 ports from the laptop (2 are USB3), and 4 USB3 used on the hub, when I have 2 external 7200 rpm drives hooked up.

Many USB1 devices such as the original faderport even when connected to a USB3, will drag it to USB1. Could impact things.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by frank.crow on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:04 pm
Oops it's tripping again. I sent support some specs info they asked for?

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:06 pm
Lokeyfly wroteCool! Glad it worked out.

With my 4 year old Sony laptop, I was going to initially buy a powered USB hub, but tried a 4 way passive one. No problems so far, or delays. Everything is crisp. 3 ports from the laptop (2 are USB3), and 4 USB3 used on the hub, when I have 2 external 7200 rpm drives hooked up.

Many USB1 devices such as the original faderport even when connected to a USB3, will drag it to USB1. Could impact things.

Yup my USB 3 port I believe just defaults back to USB 2 because the cable/faderport is only USB 2.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:43 pm
Nope the issue continues, the Presonus support staff had me remove any other devices utilizing the hub including the usb receiver for my wireless mouse.

The same error message appears initially but I’m not sure if it pops up again as the session continues. If I understand the tech he wanted me to disable Bluetooth devices (like my keyboard). I don’t know if this is simply to test.

My computer is pretty new and I dropped the extra cash for almost all of the upgrades available. I don’t understand why I’m having to strip my setup down to its bare bones just to use my Fader port.

I considered buying a better hub but more than one sales associate told me mine was fine. One even speculated that the problem might actually be the faderport itself.

Has anyone else encountered this situation?

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by Lokeyfly on Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:54 am
Frank.crow wrote: My computer is pretty new and I dropped the extra cash for almost all of the upgrades available. I don’t understand why I’m having to strip my setup down to its bare bones just to use my Fader port. 

Sounds like you actually have a good trouble shooter. The removal of USB or other items is not a permanent one to get your FP8 to work, as much as it is the process of isolating all potential problems. Those other items if non problematic, can be re introduced. It's best to do that, one at a time, and checking your Faderport 8 each time.

Keep us posted, and as you already are, just try to be patient. I'm sure your computer is more than capable.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Lokeyfly on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:05 am
frank.crow wroteI keep getting this error message that says "Limited or no connectivity with Faderport 8" something like that. I've had this issue before but it's gone away. This time however I'm experiencing pretty serious lag time between the Faders and the screen. Basically I move a Fader and it doesn't immediately synchronize with the corresponding Fader in Studio One 3.

Yeah, I didn't mention that I have not ever received that message, or similar.

Can you define "lag time"? Hardware will always exhibit some mechanical lag, over the direct screen fader movement. That should not impact the direct lag, of those neighboring faders on your FP, slightly behind any direct (hand controlled, or computer USB driven motion).

Perhaps the lag is more than usual? That would be a concern.

Hoping this works out for you.

Again, I use a passive USB hub, with no issues.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by Bbd on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:37 am
Win 10 64
No issues

Using a 4 port USB 2.0 passive hub as well with keyboard, PC keyboard, USB speakers, and the FP8.

I keep expecting some issues though. I have another USB 3 passive hub with mouse, iLok, and video cam connected.

On the front of the PC, I have 2 USB 3.0 ports for 1 external HD and hub and 2 USB 2.0 ports for hub and empty slot.

That's not counting other USB inputs in the back of the PC either.

Seems like there is plenty of room for issues but so far so good.
That's why support was having you strip stuff done to see where the issue could be.

What happens when you skip your hub altogether for a test?

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by frank.crow on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm
Lokeyfly wrote
Frank.crow wrote: My computer is pretty new and I dropped the extra cash for almost all of the upgrades available. I don’t understand why I’m having to strip my setup down to its bare bones just to use my Fader port. 

Sounds like you actually have a good trouble shooter. The removal of USB or other items is not a permanent one to get your FP8 to work, as much as it is the process of isolating all potential problems. Those other items if non problematic, can be re introduced. It's best to do that, one at a time, and checking your Faderport 8 each time.

Keep us posted, and as you already are, just try to be patient. I'm sure your computer is more than capable.

I did as I think they requested and also powered down all Bluetooth devices so they wouldn't transmit. I used a wired connection for my mouse & keyboard.
Yup the dreaded error pop up continues to appear.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 pm
Wow I can't believe the message I just received from Presonus support. After all of the troubleshooting we been doing they've given me a couple of options, one of them would be to ship the item to them so they can check it and try to find the problem. This seems to be the more logical choice at this point.

They basically said that if they can't find the problem they will be shipping the item back to me and there would be more troubleshooting we'd do. Forgive me but that seems ridiculous if my item is still under warranty why wouldn't they just replace it ? They have my money and I'm a regular customer.

I'm very confused and disappointed

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by illuminated on Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:59 pm
If they don't find anything wrong with the unit after sending it to them, then the issue isn't the FP8.

So why would you just expect a replacement for a working unit? Wouldn't your issues still be there anyway?

Did you test the unit on another computer? That's a sure fire way to determine if the unit is faulty, as any issues would usually follow with the unit.
by Lokeyfly on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:09 am
illuminated wroteIf they don't find anything wrong with the unit after sending it to them, then the issue isn't the FP8.

So why would you just expect a replacement for a working unit? Wouldn't your issues still be there anyway?

Did you test the unit on another computer? That's a sure fire way to determine if the unit is faulty, as any issues would usually follow with the unit.

Good advice, if it's possible. Chances are, the occurence will reveal itself if it's in fact in the FP8.

May be best to just send it back to be tested. That way, you essentially have a field tested unit, and have the satisfaction of knowing where you stand.

If it's a dud (bad), and you purchased it through Presonus, maybe you can work out a deal on buying the FP16. Just released. That's just an option if you preferred it. Not sure if that's even an option, but just throwing the possibility out there.

New song "Our Time"

Latest albums on iTunes

by frank.crow on Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:05 pm
Lokeyfly wrote
illuminated wroteIf they don't find anything wrong with the unit after sending it to them, then the issue isn't the FP8.

Good advice, if it's possible. Chances are, the occurence will reveal itself if it's in fact in the FP8.

May be best to just send it back to be tested. That way, you essentially have a field tested unit, and have the satisfaction of knowing where you stand.

If it's a dud (bad), and you purchased it through Presonus, maybe you can work out a deal on buying the FP16. Just released. That's just an option if you preferred it. Not sure if that's even an option, but just throwing the possibility out there.

This is more in line with my thinking. However Presonus doesn't share my sentiment. I'm pulling my 2012 Mac Mini out of storage. I will run the test they've asked for this weekend.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by frank.crow on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:12 am
Well finally got that test done. I broke out my old 2012 Mac Mini running an older operating system the error was not present.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)