FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
31 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
I just discovered that you can increase the window size when adding automation parameters by clicking on the border and dragging.. as usual.. and guess what? There is a CC# column :)

That makes it a lot easier to know what all that stuff means :)

Untitled 21.jpg

Studio One Professional 6.1.1 | 64bit Melodyne Assistant 5.2.0.006

Faderport 8 | Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen
Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
EDIT: As long as you use a separate instrument on each track and open/close them when changing tracks, the Faderport will control the automation parameters on the selected track.

But this is a bit of a pain as I don't want to use a separate Kontakt instance on each track..

I create a separate feature request for this here: https://answers.presonus.com/31536/cont ... instrument

If you need this, then please up-vote and maybe Presonus will notice & implement this at one point.

---
Just figured out this does not work on a per track basis. I.e. fader for expression on track A will not move expression on track B, if I move the selection of the track.

Solution anyone?

Studiologic SL88 Grand | Yamaha YDP-163 | Yamaha HS8 & HS8S | Austrian Audio Hi-X65 | Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO

Windows 10 x64 | AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Asus X570PRO | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | 6TB NVME SSD
by Lokeyfly on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:21 am
They should probably pin Johnny Geibs cads on the Faderport right at the top of the FP8/16 section . They've been around since the release of the FP8.

Anyway, as long as the Control link can capture any instrument, or plugin parameter you click on, (the hand symbol will highlight from gray to white) you can control or automate that parameter, as well as be tied to any desired FP vertical fader. This includes buttons as well on the FP. His video covers more on this as to setting up so check that, rather than me writing a novel.
FP8 - using 3rd party plugins
phpBB [video]

So MIDI cc info as it enters into S1 can be allocated, as long as the Control link see's it. I just see if the MIDI cc is directed towards anything.

For external MIDI CC control, I use a MOTU 8 channel patchbay. That is seen by the control link, so that's my way of making the connection.

Anyway, Johnny's (theMuzic) video should shead some light.
Try contacting him for specifics.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
As you said, as long as you have a visible element you can follow Johnny's tutorial and it works fine. For a lot of virtual instruments used for orchestral music this is not always the case. Those expect inputs from CC1, 2, 7 and 11 not linked to a button, slider, or other thing that is clickable in the user interface.

Bump..

Still did not give up on this, as I really want modulation and expression for every track. However, it seems that without better integration between S1 and Kontakt (or any other sampler) this is not going to work.

FP8 focus was not meant to be used in multi rack setups - for now.

As an experiment I made a new orchestral template that has about 170 tracks, spanning over 140 Kontakt5 instances. I know that it is not supposed to be used this way, but hey.. it works ;) I was actually quite surprised how little RAM this takes. 140 instances with all samples purged takes about 12GB of RAM out of 32, so more than enough left.

It also helps that I took a "template per company" approach. So CC1 is on FP8 fader 1, and this works on all Orchestral Tools VI's the same, without having to configure this per track. The only thing that can spoil this now would be high CPU usage.. so I am writing a song and lets see what happens.

The only other slightly annoying side effects are long load and save times, as S1 cycles through all 140 instances (takes about 15 secs). But OK, I can live with that. Just disable autosave and save regularly on your own.

by harrydechering on Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:35 am
Apparently, in the latest firmware update (3.x) they added a MIDI CC operations mode.

https://pae-web.presonusmusic.com/downloads/products/release_notes/UC_3_0_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Have not tested it yet though.
I played around with this for a bit, but could not get it to do anything. Opened a separate thread here to ask for assistance as well.

I also do not understand why Presonus implemented it like this. Having the entire unit in midi mode kills all other functionality like using the faders for anything else (like channel volume) - ditto for the transport buttons.

The only thing they had to do was send the midi CC data (which the FP8 is already sending) to the midi channel specified for the selected track, as opposed to always midi channel #1 - regardless of which midi channel the track is actually pointing to.

But even having the FP8 in midi mode I was not able to get data to virtual instruments like Presence (i.e. use fader 1 for mod wheel CC data/modulation).

Why doesnt the FP8 get more love at Presonus? Come on guys, there is a huge market and its not a very cheap device to begin with. Proper midi support should have been a basic feature covered from day one.

Confirmed to be a bug by Presonus support, and will be fixed in an update.

by mairegaetan on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:01 pm
Hi !
I would like to buy the faderport 8 to also control my VI (orchestral mockup with Kontakt, Vienna...)
Is there any positive news? any update ?
Very interested !
Best Regards,
(Sorry for my English, I'm French)
by Jemusic on Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:52 am
markdelorenzo wrote
tapanisiirtola wroteCan you turn the fader motors off? Just wondering if the midi update is coming, I would personally like to edit the midi with motors turned off.

If Presonus can make this happen, I'm happy to join in Faderport family :)

Can't you simply unplug it (DC connector)? And simply leave the USB connected?
The DC connector is only for the motor.

In terms of Fader motors I don't think so. Classic works like this by unplugging the DC supply. However with both my Faderport 2018 and Faderport 8 unplugging the power supply makes them go completely dead! i.e. No lights etc, totally dark as if off.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
In the mean time, did someone actually got the famous FaderPort "midi mode" to work in S1?

If I drop a RedLightDistrict and look at the FaderPort 8 Control window I see all the Red Light parameters nicely configured for each fader (i.e. fader 5 = drive, fader 8 = mix, etc.) but when moving those faders on the FP the corresponding knobs on the Red Light insert do not move at all.

MIDI monitor window is showing MIDI data with appropriate channel + values coming in, but nothing happens in S1.

It is extremely frustrating to own a EUR 400+ piece of equipment that can't even do the stuff my crappy EUR 50 MIDI keyboard can do!

I created a support ticket for this in May 2019. In the mean time a new firmware update came out, but this has not been fixed. OMG... :thumbdown: :? :idea:

EDIT: So this works, but in NATIVE mode only.. not sure then why to bother with a MIDI mode in the first place.

31 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2