FaderPort 8 and FaderPort 16 General Discussion
15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Just got my faderport 8 and am playing with the plugin editor.
Anyone know if it is possible to edit more than 8 parameters ?
Each fader can be mapped to one parameter.

:D

Wayne
MacBook Pro 16 Gb, OSX Yosemite, Studio One 3, Pro Tools 12, Korg Krome, PA4X, Roland Juno Gi
by -Luis- on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:07 pm
You can use the Select buttons to add 8 more parameters.
I'm using the 8 faders and 4 select buttons to control this plugin.

plugin map.gif
by WaldMeister on Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:05 am
It seems to be the limit (8 Faders and 8 Buttons) for editing PlugIns / Instruments.
And yes, it hurts.
(It would be nice to have banks, like the handling of the Channel Faders.)

As a little "workaround" i use the macro controls in S1 for another 8 Faders and 8 Buttons per Track Inserts / Instruments
-> Macro-Button on/off changes the view on FP8.

And another 8 Faders and 8 Buttons for an Instrument, if you transform it to a Multi-Instrument
-> window focus (Instrument / Multi-Instrument) in S1 changes the view on FP8 . ;)
(And now you see how desperate i am! :-) )

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit -=#=- Intel Core i7-4702MQ (mobile),16GB RAM, 1TB SSD -=#=- Studio One 5.5.2 Professional 64-Bit -=#=- StudioLive III 24 console -=#=- StudioLive III 32R rack mixer -=#=- PreSonus Faderport -=#=- PreSonus Faderport 8 -=#=- PreSonus Monitor Station -=#=-
by waynewisner on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:58 am
Hey, Thanks for your replies ! Thanks for the macro workaround I will try this.

Wayne
MacBook Pro 16 Gb, OSX Yosemite, Studio One 3, Pro Tools 12, Korg Krome, PA4X, Roland Juno Gi
by WaldMeister on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:35 am
It helps a little, but i dream of 8 fader banks of which i change with the Pan/Param knob when i push it to toggle between plugin select and fader bank select. ;)

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit -=#=- Intel Core i7-4702MQ (mobile),16GB RAM, 1TB SSD -=#=- Studio One 5.5.2 Professional 64-Bit -=#=- StudioLive III 24 console -=#=- StudioLive III 32R rack mixer -=#=- PreSonus Faderport -=#=- PreSonus Faderport 8 -=#=- PreSonus Monitor Station -=#=-
by TomTama on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:52 am
WaldMeister wroteIt helps a little, but i dream of 8 fader banks of which i change with the Pan/Param knob when i push it to toggle between plugin select and fader bank select. ;)

I'd like to see Presonus add banks for the plugin parameters. I think having the bank button and controls in the Session Navigator section affect plugin parameter banks instead of channel banks when you're in Edit Plugins mode would be a logical way to implement it.

2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, TB2, 64GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7, Dell 43" 4K Monitor, Luna Display, 2X Apollo x8, Apollo x8p, UAD OCTO TB3 Satellite, UAD QUAD TB3 Satellite, UAD V9.14.5, UA OX 1.2, Studio One 5.4, Dangerous Dbox+, Dangerous 2-Bus LT, MiniDSP w/Dirac 2.0, Behringer PowerPlay P16-M & P16-I, ATOM, SSL UF8, Akai Advance 49, Focal Twin 6be, Focal Sub6
by TomTama on Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:11 pm
If you'd like to see banks for plugin parameters go vote for this feature request.

http://answers.presonus.com/12627/banks-for-plugin-parameters

2013 Mac Pro 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, TB2, 64GB RAM, Catalina 10.15.7, Dell 43" 4K Monitor, Luna Display, 2X Apollo x8, Apollo x8p, UAD OCTO TB3 Satellite, UAD QUAD TB3 Satellite, UAD V9.14.5, UA OX 1.2, Studio One 5.4, Dangerous Dbox+, Dangerous 2-Bus LT, MiniDSP w/Dirac 2.0, Behringer PowerPlay P16-M & P16-I, ATOM, SSL UF8, Akai Advance 49, Focal Twin 6be, Focal Sub6
by WaldMeister on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:57 pm
TomTama wroteIf you'd like to see banks for plugin parameters go vote for this feature request.

http://answers.presonus.com/12627/banks-for-plugin-parameters

Great! Voted! :+1

by mikemanthei on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:42 pm
The LINK function was supposed to make that a thing of the past... but I just got my FP8 about 2 hours ago and the functionality leaves a bit to be desired.

The problem with trying to map an encoder to a plug-in function is that you will never get enough encoders. The most common small control surfaces now have 8 rotary encoders. This isn't enough for even the most simple plug-ins. Nearly any plugin worth using has more than 8 functions. And even if you have LOTS of encoders... you are likely to run short anyway.

Take Presonus' Pro EQ as an example. 5 parametric EQ bands with Gain,Freq, and Q on each is 15 encoders by itself. Add a shelving EQ on each end and some slope settings and I'm over 20. Who makes a small control surface on the market that supports that? And when you can only modify some of the parameters using your control surface, and must reach for the mouse when you run out of controls, that is NOT good workflow. I'm as geeky as the next guy, but when it doesn't improve my workflow, I'm not impressed.

So the LINK feature was touted as the solution. And for the majority of Presonus plug-ins, it works. The Pan/Param encoder will modify whatever you're hovering your mouse over. But 3rd party plugins..... Not so much. In order to get the knob working, you must first modify the control with your mouse, and then it will function. So for 3rd party stuff, it appears it works on the "last modified parameter". Frustrating workflow for my 10-band parametric or a 31-band graphic EQ. It's just "klunky".

I'll continue to work with it, but wanted to share that info with anyone on the fence about buying.

If you're wondering what plugin parameters this function will work on, try hovering over a knob in a plugin with your mouse and rotate the scroll wheel on your mouse. If the scroll wheel moves the values, then the Pan/Param knob using LINK will probably do it too. That's my experience so far.

Another bit of info for those of you who like to do your research before buying.. I ordered mine just a few days ago, and it came with firmware 1.01 already. So the Universal Control Firmware update was not necessary. I'm using Windows 7 and it worked without even needing to add it to the list of external hardware devices. I just plugged it in, started S03, and it was working.

Awkwardly missing from the functionality is adjusting the Cue sends. I can't figure out how to get them adjusted from the control surface. I was hoping Presonus would do this better than the basic Mackie Control protocol, but I guess not. This would seem to me to be a critical part of this tight integration. Why not?

Lastly, the pre-sales literature says it comes with a 6 foot USB cable. Not quite true, as mine was only about 4 and a half feet long. It wasn't long enough and I had to acquire a real 6-foot cable to get it usable.

I hope this helps some of you still making decisions. If I can run a test for you, let me know.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by stevenkastner on Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:30 pm
Here's a link to a good video showing how to control parameters of third party plugins. The limited number of parameters that can be controlled and lack of parameter banks is not addressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ZuHWhoqik

Steven.
by frank.crow on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:36 pm
I've found that some of the mapping can be hit and miss. Overall it's been pretty fantastic but my Klanghelm stuff is one way. I mean if I move a Fader then the Plugin will respond but if I move the Plugin the Fader will stay put.

Also my the Faderport doesn't read my IK T Racks stuff at all.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by anthonyvillena on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:30 am
Thanks guys for chiming in.

I really wanted to like the fader port 8 but it really seems like there's a lot to be desired and more tighter integration with studio one would be nice.

I was really excited when it was announced.

I really wanted hardware (knobs, faders, etc) to control almost all plugin parameters.

It seems like every company is falling short on this.

I think I'll wait for a few more years and stick with my Beringer bcf that I bought used.

Hopefully presonus will get the feature of banks to control plugins.
by niclasgustafsson1 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:18 pm
frank.crow wroteAlso my the Faderport doesn't read my IK T Racks stuff at all.

It appears that it does work with the AU versions of TRacks. Just tried them. And it seem to work. Fingers crossed...

Macbook Air M1 16/512, Metric Halo ULN2, MOTU 8pre usb, MunroSonic the Egg 150,
by johnvallely on Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:29 am
6 years have passed since the last post here. @Presonus, is there now a way the Faderport 8 can control more than 8 parameters on a plugin?
by peterbirch on Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:15 am
Yes. By using the bank buttons you can get extra pages of 8 per page that's by faders more for select buttons. So many in fact it is quicker to use the mouse .. huh

Studio One 5.5.2 - studio 192, - 1818VSL, - Digimax FS, Presonus HP4 x2 Presonus Notion 6,
Win 10 pro -- I7cpu 16gb. and Z590 Vision D 32GB & 11700
UAD Octo card UAD Apollo Twin USB and Apollo x4
Faderport 8, Faderport classic. Atom SQ

15 posts
Page 1 of 1