StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello

I want to record in my DAW one track while I hear the rest of the tracks on the monitores. I want do it with USB Send 1/2 ON, but this way the super chanel track return is recorded again.

I know how to do it with USB Send1/2 OFF, but i want to know if it posible to do it with USB Send 1/2 ON.

How could I deactivate the superchannel so that it does not record it but continues to sound through the monitors? is it Possible?

I have a studiolive ARC12c

Thanks
by SwitchBack on Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm
Hi and welcome to this forum :)

I’m not sure I understand what you’re trying to record and how.

The AR12c’s USB interface offers 14 sends from mixer to computer (mixer channels 1-12 and the main mix) and 4 returns from computer to the mixer (to the USB buttons on mixer channels 13/14 and 11/12). There are no dedicated USB sends for mixer channels 13/14.

The USB Send 1/2 button above the main fader puts the main mix (which is always on USB Sends 13 and 14) on USB Sends 1 and 2 too, replacing mixer channels 1 and 2. That’s all it does. When channels 13/14 feature in your main mix then they will be in USB send 13/14 too, and in USB sends 1/2 when the USB Send 1/2 button is pressed.

So there's no reason to press the USB Send 1/2 button when you're recording the mixer's main mix from USB sends 13/14 already. And it will prevent you from recording mixer channels 1 and 2.
by javiergimenez on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:13 pm
Hi,
Thanks

The matter is this:

For example, I have five Tracks on my Daw, and I want to record one more. On The mixer I have the new stereo trak on the channel 11/12. If I Want to Record Pre Fader, I Put USB SEND ½ OFF then arm the track with send channel 11/12 and no problem. I can to record only the chanel 11/12 while listening everything else on the monitors.
But if I want to record Post Fader and listen on the monitors at the same time, I put USB SEND ½ ON. On the daw i arm the new stereo track on channel 1/2 . Then, when I record, on the new track I record all the mixer channels including the superchannel, all tracks included.
If I want to record Post Fader, I would have to mute superchanel and monitors, turn on PFL, and listen for headphones while I record

I understand that I can not record Post Fader while listening to the return through the superchannel on the monitores because the superchannel is recorded again on the new track. I have to do it with headphones (MUTE Superchannel, PFL and Headphones)

I think it is not possible for Superchannel not to go tracks 1/2 when USB SEND1/2 is ON

That’s right?
by SwitchBack on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:55 pm
Correct, recording the main mix means recording the whole deal, including the super channel if it's in the mix.

A creative way to have a few more options is to buy two short jack-to-jack patch cables. They allow you to patch aux outputs or control room outputs back into (unused) mixer channels for recording. As long as you're careful not to create feedback loops it's a neat trick.

The elephant in the room is the 'why' question. Recording channels from the AR12 is pre EQ and faders and it should be the same for the extra channel(s) you want to record. No reason I can see for a post fader recording really. But hey, if you want to then you know a way how to do it now :)
by javiergimenez on Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:45 pm
"A creative way to have a few more options is to buy two short jack-to-jack patch cables"

Good trick.

Anyway It’s better to record pre fader, I agree, and so I Will do it

Thank you very much for your interest

Bye

5 posts
Page 1 of 1