StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys -- I can't seem to find this anywhere, but I'm trying to find out if the AR8c or AR12c support mix-minus for recording phone conversations for a podcast, like the Zoom PodTrak P4, P8, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Tascam Model 12, and Rode Rodecaster Pro? I need a super easy built-in input (via bluetooth and/or TRRS i/o that connects directly to a smartphone, for example) to record podcast phone interviews without any extra adapters or routing or feedback -- so with a good mix-minus feature. I just can't find the info anywhere... and I've looked in the manual and can't find anything about mix-minus or if the "super channel" supports that. Apologies if I missed this info somewhere! Thanks!
by wahlerstudios on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 pm
It might make sense to ask the question in this Facebook group. There are more AR users available...

Presonus StudioLive Mixer Users
https://www.facebook.com/groups/236075319847351
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:00 pm
The AR mixer's bluetooth receiver and 3.5mm jack connection feature on the mixer's SuperChannel. The SuperChannel does not offer direct USB recording (as the other mixer channels and the main output do) so there's no easy path to the computer. The only way to record the SuperChannel is to make it the only channel going to the main mix and then record the main mix. That would cripple the mixer quite a bit...
by bassfx on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 pm
SwitchBack wroteThe AR mixer's bluetooth receiver and 3.5mm jack connection feature on the mixer's SuperChannel. The SuperChannel does not offer direct USB recording (as the other mixer channels and the main output do) so there's no easy path to the computer. The only way to record the SuperChannel is to make it the only channel going to the main mix and then record the main mix. That would cripple the mixer quite a bit...

Thank you! Appreciate the info -- that's what I suspected, and now confirmed looking at the block diagram in the manual. And both the 1/8 and bluetooth on the super channel have no direct ADC path at all, just a stereo LR to the main mix (so you're right on about that), PFL or aux (which is mono). Doesn't look look there's a built-in solution for me regarding my question about mix-minus -- it looks like there is NOT a simple mix-minus feature for the super channel, which is a missed opportunity on this board IMO, especially for podcasters.

Anyway, thanks for helping out. And it doesn't seem like Presonus could make a change with firmware either to make it happen, after looking at the block diagram, if I'm reading it correctly.
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:21 pm
The only sensible thing I can think of is to get a 3.5mm stereo to 2x 6.3mm mono jack cable and use it to plug the phone into one of the other stereo channels.
by johnlackner1 on Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:18 pm
It's possible, but not via bluetooth. You need adapters. A Mini TRRS to dual mini TRs adapter (pink and green connectors) then two mini TRS to dual 1/4. Audio out from phone to mixer input channels, control room out to the phone mic input jack. Might need to do the show with headphones to avoid feedback. it's not super-easy, but it works. And you can record it.
Similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdppjE8cApI

6 posts
Page 1 of 1