StudioLive AR8, AR12 and AR16 Hybrid Mixers
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Two problems, possibly related:

Recording to SD card doesn't work. The card is formatted as per the recommendation and seems to be recognized in that the controls all briefly light up when I insert it. However the record button flashes 3 times (error) when I try to record. I've checked the card works and is not write protected. It randomly worked once, but then the mixer stopped responding and wouldn't allow me to stop recording. Very odd...

Recording using Capture doesn't work either. I'm on a bog standard Windows 10 Acer laptop, nothing fancy. The mixer shows up in Universal Control as the audio interface. But when I try to record via Capture, the volume is very, VERY low and any recording is blank after 10 seconds. It doesn't stop recording as such, there's just no sound at all after the 10 second mark, rendering it completely useless.

This is all rather disappointing. The mixer would suit my needs perfectly, if I could only get those features working.
Is there anything obvious and maybe not so obvious I could check? I'd hate to send it back, especially during a global pandemic. That could take a real long time...
by petersteens on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:47 am
Hello...? Presonus employee? Anyone?
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:14 am
Hi and welcome to these forums :)

Since this is a users forum you can’t count on PreSonus staff to visit regularly. Has it’s pro’s and con’s.

SD cards can be finicky. Make sure it’s not an SDXC or SDUC card, format the card FAT32 using the SD Card Formatter overwrite format and try again. The recording level is what you see on the mixer’s level meters, so a few bars there makes a weak recording.

As for the Capture recordings there’s the possibility that you picked a laptop usb port that shares a hub with other devices in the laptop, e.g. a camera or trackpad. Try other ports to see if the problem goes away. Also check out this link to optimize your laptop for audio.

Hope this helps :)
by petersteens on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:35 am
Thank you :)

I'll give it a go with configuring Windows. It hadn't occured to me, but Windows cutting power to the USB ports might be the explanation for the recordings going silent after 10 seconds.

The SD card is a 32gb Kingston SDHC. It should work, but I'll re-format it and doublecheck to make sure.
by petersteens on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:24 pm
Welp... Turns out the SD card is U1, not U3 as recommended (required?). Sooo... Maybe it's just too slow?
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:37 pm
Yeah well, I've got a few Kingston cards slow as snails, even though by the specs they should be good enough. Try a Sandisk card. They use the better factories I guess.
by petersteens on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:13 pm
So I made sure the USB ports on my laptop are never switched off. It sounded promising, but didn't do anything. Also stopped OneDrive synchronization as a shot in the dark. Alas, the recording in Capture still cuts off abruptly after 10 seconds. I also couldn't get playback via USB to work, because of course I couldn't. It makes no difference which USB port I use.

I distinctly remember all the promotional material telling me this would be easy to operate, not take entire days of tedious troubleshooting. Not entirely accurate, it would seem.
by wahlerstudios on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:42 pm
It might make sense to ask the question in this Facebook group. There are more AR users available...

Presonus StudioLive Mixer Users
https://www.facebook.com/groups/236075319847351

8 posts
Page 1 of 1